Let's discuss Bronson Speedway...

Worse?

Well, except that they are running a race Saturday night and as far as I know Bifflo is growing weeds through the cracks in the track. Unless the drifters saved the place, and if they did, I don’t think they are throwing stock car races for side-coin.

Once a while back I heard in a Sunday service that people that in positions of authority and who are…challenging… are just people, trying in their own way, as are we all in our own way.

What is the plan, Stan?

You said you didn’t want to drive racers away, and they are throwing a race on Saturday night, so I am wishing them well.

I am thinking that the point has been made, now we will simply have to wait and see if they move forward in a positive fashion.

It is still their ball to bobble or put in the basket.

ps–Yoho was mentioned. He is a racer, and I am thankful that we have him. But it was noted here a while back that he said he was buying Citrus, if I am recollectin’ correctly. So again, everybody ain’t perfect every minute.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;174793]Worse?

Well, except that they are running a race Saturday night and as far as I know Bifflo is growing weeds through the cracks in the track. Unless the drifters saved the place, and if they did, I don’t think they are throwing stock car races for side-coin.

Once a while back I heard in a Sunday service that people that in positions of authority and who are…challenging… are just people, trying in their own way, as are we all in our own way.

What is the plan, Stan?

You said you didn’t want to drive racers away, and they are throwing a race on Saturday night, so I am wishing them well.

I am thinking that the point has been made, now we will simply have to wait and see if they move forward in a positive fashion.

It is still their ball to bobble or put in the basket.

ps–Yoho was mentioned. He is a racer, and I am thankful that we have him. But it was noted here a while back that he said he was buying Citrus, if I am recollectin’ correctly. So again, everybody ain’t perfect every minute.[/QUOTE]

Was referring to Waterford which Kendo brought up.

“I see now” –the blind man in the night

Agreed, that deal is worse than OSW.

Update!

13 cars showed up at Bronson last night. I will admit that’s more than I expected, but only by 2. I honestly figured she would get 11. In my eyes, if not for the game playing with tire rules and receipts, she probably could have gotten 18-20 or maybe a couple more.

Last night, I am hearing that 4 of her regular Sportsman racers, actually showed up with Hoosier tires from NSS and had the required receipts as well. Apparently, Ann didn’t take too kindly to this as those 4 were reportedly black flagged and sent off the track for running the Hoosiers, even though they met all of her silly requirements posted on Facebook.

It’s Ann’s track, I get that. But if you’re going to continually do stuff like this, can you honestly expect anyone to come back for the next race? I am willing to bet, the next Bronson edition race from this series, gets 7 cars.

Congratulations to Sean Bass on his win, Scott Garrity on a strong 4th place run and Patrick Thomas on coming back to a 3rd place finish after getting tangled up with a lapped car.

I hope I am wrong about the future of this track and the series, but there’s ways to gain drivers and there’s ways to lose drivers. I honestly don’t feel like she’s doing much to gain any with these silly games.

Bronson is a great little racetrack. I believe I like it as much as showtime or auburndale.

I also believe that Ann has a racer mentality as opposed to, say, “Treasa” Earnhardt (Jr’s pronunciation).

All that said, as I mentioned in an earlier post, in between the lines it is strongly recommended that you buy AR tires. Save your nerves and just mentally commit to buying them if you plan on running there.

Now if Sportsman rules (Bronson or otherwise) were not “run some track’s rules, take your pick, and then we will add our take/details/enforcement as we think is best–tonight”, life would be better and cheaper for the Sportsman guys. Further, I believe more would actually arrive to pay their pit gate fee and put on a show for the fans that arrived to pay their front gate fee.

As my buddy used to say about his marital situation: “I would be glad to follow the rules, if they would just stay the same.”

Dumb, dumb, dumb

You tell people they can run tires with a receipt, then you black flag the guys that do that? That’s as dumb as it gets. That place is doomed

“Congratulations to…Patrick Thomas on coming back to a 3rd place finish after getting tangled up with a lapped car.”--Dr Phil

Kind words, but a little bit of an understatement. The #111 launched over the rear wheel of the much slower American Racer equipped car, and after the Team BFH was repeatedly employed to remove a considerable amount of sheet metal, Patrick manhandled the car back through the (somewhat light) field with fairly serious right front suspension damage, resulting in a car with a 1960s amount of negative camber.

I said I’d never go back but I did. :frowning:

Started show 30 or 40 minutes after advertised time.

No cars. Still

Screw around way too much.

Waiting for racers to change tires or repair their cars while the other cars ride around under caution. AND it’s in #(@&%ing HEAT RACES!

For the most part, the flagman could turn the yellow light off at least a lap before he normally does. More cars riding around under caution…

AND throwing out three cars because of the stupid tire deal??? Like they would have been able to stay up with Bass anyway?? Man has this class gotten out of control.

Can’t wait to go back! Not. :slight_smile:

Bronson is in a remote location, it’s too far to draw cars on a regular basis from Citrus, St Pete or Auburndale. Levy County is one of poorest counties in the state and simply doesn’t have as many good paying jobs, most of the jobs up that way are with the county or in some type of timber or agriculture. The place will never make money with the local racers and you don’t have much new interest up there because it’s been poorly ran for so many years. She needs out of town drivers to come in for big events to supplement her existing program. The problem is people just don’t want to drive that far for a less than promised purse and when you factor in the bullshit that you deal with up there,it’s a no brainer. I don’t think money is an issue up there, it’s poor people skills.

Eight modified at Showtime last night, eight Superlates at Desoto last night.Thirteen Sportsman at Bronson last night.That makes Bronson the winner??? Lol. Seriously did thirteen sportsman drivers equal the number of people in the stands because I bet it wasn’t far from matching it.Desoto advertises a 100 lap Super late race and cuts it in half after only eight show and then Mrs.Young tries her best to piss off her Sportsman drivers by black flagging them for running tires that met her posted requirements. WTF? Do her and Denny want time off for vacation so they have decided to piss people off to the point where they can just close their gates?

Nathan, I am going to have to very respectfully disagree with you. With Gainesville only 25 or so minutes up the road and Ocala only about 45 to 50 minutes up the road, not to mention all the little hick towns in between, there there is definitely a large enough population base to support Bronson Speedway. While I do not think that track will regularly support modifieds pro lates and super lates, I do think it would be a good track for strong mini stock bomber and other lower classes all the way up into the Sportsman division.

Bronson imo, is suffering from poor leadership. I don’t necessarily believe that removing Ann from the equation would be the answer, however I do believe that if she changed her ways, you could see very good car counts.

By the accounts I heard last night, the fan turnout was actually very strong. It’s just a matter of solving the issues keeping cars from entering the paddock.

Personal change is difficult, even if the person wants to change, much less if someone else wants one to change.

But Phil touches on an interesting point. The tracks and the car owners, even more than the fans, are in this together. Without the cars, the track might as well be the field next to the track. Without a track, the car is an expensive and dusty workbench.

And yet, from Cup on down, there is almost a cops and robbers/us against them adversarial relationship between the two groups.

On the other hand is Capitol Speedway, “just 1.5 hours from Anchorage” and probably an equal distance from Fairbanks–in Alaska. It makes Bronson look like it is located in a boomtown.

Now, I only visited, but clearly the gate was 95% racers, and they were having pot luck dinner on tables and laughing and shooting the breeze.

The cars were low dollar fwd minis, low dollar street stocks, and low dollar sprint cars (!). And there was a good field of each.

I think they have been in continuous operation for about 30 years, and bill themselves as “Alaska’s longest running dirt track”.

Oh yeah, they appear to have just lowered the driving age to 14!

I saw no stress, no arguing, and they were all having…fun (remember that stuff?).

There is no reason that (forgive me) we “can’t just all get along” down heah where it is, you know, warmer.

Except us, of course.

[QUOTE=Phil Jacques;174818]Nathan, I am going to have to very respectfully disagree with you. With Gainesville only 25 or so minutes up the road and Ocala only about 45 to 50 minutes up the road, not to mention all the little hick towns in between, there there is definitely a large enough population base to support Bronson Speedway. While I do not think that track will regularly support modifieds pro lates and super lates, I do think it would be a good track for strong mini stock bomber and other lower classes all the way up into the Sportsman division.

Bronson imo, is suffering from poor leadership. I don’t necessarily believe that removing Ann from the equation would be the answer, however I do believe that if she changed her ways, you could see very good car counts.

By the accounts I heard last night, the fan turnout was actually very strong. It’s just a matter of solving the issues keeping cars from entering the paddock.[/QUOTE]

Yup, the grandstands were pretty packed. AND there were 19 strictly stocks that showed up. Probably a good race but I left when their race came up. Dunno, just can’t stand to watch those junkers…

[QUOTE=Phil Jacques;174818]

By the accounts I heard last night, the fan turnout was actually very strong. It’s just a matter of solving the issues keeping cars from entering the paddock.[/QUOTE]

NSS had 35 cars over 4 divisions,14 of them bombers,so whats their excuse?
The pendulum seemed to be turning late last year,but 2017 at most tracks has been lackluster at best.

You hit the nail on the head and could have simply replaced the word Bronson with Putnam.
And to make matters worse, the locals get butthurt when the out of towners show up and win with higher dollar equipment and they too stop showing up.

[QUOTE=Phil Jacques;174818]Nathan, I am going to have to very respectfully disagree with you. With Gainesville only 25 or so minutes up the road and Ocala only about 45 to 50 minutes up the road, not to mention all the little hick towns in between, there there is definitely a large enough population base to support Bronson Speedway. While I do not think that track will regularly support modifieds pro lates and super lates, I do think it would be a good track for strong mini stock bomber and other lower classes all the way up into the Sportsman division.

I agree that the management is horrible, but Gainesville isn’t a “racing crowd”, it’s a college town full of snowflakes. I do business with UF and was up there the day after the election last year and it was like the world ended for them! A bunch of rednecks racin’ gas guzzling V8’s doesn’t bode well with the moped/Prius crowd up there.Ocala is directly in between Citrus and Bronson time wise, where would you rather watch a race or compete? The place is at a disadvantage, especially with the renovations at Citrus. The poor management is the final nail in the coffin IMHO.

I have a ton of friends that I went to school with that live up in Gainsville and nearby areas. College kids aren’t the dominant population up there. I get that it’s primarily known as a college town, but I do know the test and tune nights at the drag strip has a pretty good turnout regularly and even though a lot of oval guys don’t like drag racing, being from the drag racing community originally myself, I can tell you that more drag race guys like oval than you think. That would be a good place to try and draw some interest from. Let’s also not forget All-Tech and North Florida dirt tracks aren’t too far from there either and both would get fair car counts when they operate.

Ann likes to say “we do things different here”, maybe she could look into inviting some of the dirt boys down to play on the asphalt once in a while. THAT would be a show and would draw a pretty good crowd for sure. She could also work on some bigger shows, such as the 6 pack series that is happening, but try to avoid the games like she’s trying to play with tires. I get that she probably gets a kickback on tires, but in my eyes, she will do better allowing a competing tracks tires in and getting more cars. I promise she will make more money that way cause she ain’t making much profit off a set of tires.

I like Ann, she’s a super nice lady and she’s a 'nawthener, so I gotta like her lol. I just don’t get why she’s chasing cars away, and I really don’t know that she realizes it either.

I see now. She is a northerner just like you. What could possibly go wrong?

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding. Florida is a state of northerners and, um, immigrants…

At any rate, here is the deal with Bronson:

1. True, it is out in the middle of, um, Bronson-land

2. True, the gainesville crowd is not filled with racers.

3. True, I think the tire thing could have been handled more diplomatically.

4. True, the owner/promoter and for that matter the tech team is self assured and will do things their way.

But here are some more things to consider:

1. Which track in the state has not had, let’s say, rules “issues” at one time or another in which competitors did not feel “wronged”? Actually, how many in the last year?

2. Bronson is a cool little track to both watch and reportedly drive.

3. If you do not have a ton of motor and/or a ton of sponsorship, you will possibly do better there than at other venues.

If you do choose to go, be resigned to “doing it their way” (you know, like one tends to already do with their boss or spouse), and you will get along just fine.

Including short notice changes.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;174837]I see now. She is a northerner just like you. What could possibly go wrong?

Juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust kidding. Florida is a state of northerners and, um, immigrants…

At any rate, here is the deal with Bronson:

1. True, it is out in the middle of, um, Bronson-land

2. True, the gainesville crowd is not filled with racers.

3. True, I think the tire thing could have been handled more diplomatically.

4. True, the owner/promoter and for that matter the tech team is self assured and will do things their way.

But here are some more things to consider:

1. Which track in the state has not had, let’s say, rules “issues” at one time or another in which competitors did not feel “wronged”? Actually, how many in the last year?

2. Bronson is a cool little track to both watch and reportedly drive.

3. If you do not have a ton of motor and/or a ton of sponsorship, you will possibly do better there than at other venues.

If you do choose to go, be resigned to “doing it their way” (you know, like one tends to already do with their boss or spouse), and you will get along just fine.

Including short notice changes.[/QUOTE]

OS… I just do not know how to respond to you sometimes buddy. Your posts absolutely make my brain HURT. :blink:

“My job is done here, awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy”Superman