Showtime Dumps Highly Successful Wheelman Series

Per the Showtime Facebook page, they have abruptly decided to end their involvement in the Brandon Ford Wheelman Sportsman Series. They have given no reason for this surprising decision. The Wheelman Series has enjoyed big fields and absolutely great racing and and a result has drawn HUGE crowds to both Citrus County Speedway and Showtime Speedway alike. Racecar Engineering’s Steve Dorer has put together this fantastic series that is awash with a multitude of contingency awards for the racers, yet the tracks only have to pay what amounts to a typical 50 lap purse and contribute to a modest point fund. I would expect news from the series shortly in regards to a new venue and plans moving forward.

To re-visit, the Promoter/Owners are at the top of the food chain.

It is their prerogative to host any event or class…or not. Therefore it is worthwhile to get along with them if one wants to be on the track.

However, the Promoter/Owners need cars, or their investment simply is a piece of land, and therefore it is their responsibility to keep the classes affordable, or make sure (somehow) they have enough high dollar cars available to put on a show.

I will stay tuned to see how this deal works out.

Just another example of Yoyo doing what he does best. Being unpredictable and crazy.

I watched these Wheelman races on FB Live (yes I know I am a hypocrite for saying FB live wasn’t good for racing a while back and doing it myself, shoot me) more than I have attended local races around me this season. He’s a damn fool for letting this series go. This decision will bite him in the ass when it comes to the sportsman guys.

I can only assume the reason for this decision is because Yoyo can’t be in full control of what goes on. That kind of seems like his m.o.

That’s whats baffling, Phil. The tracks control EVERYTHING in Wheelman. Tech, race control, race procedure, etc. The only thing the series controls are the contingency awards that they bring to the table. Hell, Yoho even charges racers $10 per tire for those not purchased at Showtime! Money for nothing! Combine that with full fields, good hard nosed, yet clean racing and a great crowd and it would seem like a promoters wet dream in this day and age.

And OS, if you have any information on people “not getting along with the track” please shed some light on that. By all indications Saturday nights event at Showtime was a smashing success with great racing between Aaron and Sean battling for the lead while slicing their way through lap traffic. I have not heard of any trouble or controversy between any competitor or series representative and Yoho. As racers the best you can hope for from us is that we show up in numbers, put on a good show and don’t cause any problems. I have not heard of any of that all year from this series.

Something here doesn’t sound right. As we all know there are at least 2 sides, and sometimes three sides to a story. Anybody involved have an opinion on the cause?

It sounds like someone’s feathers got ruffled.If they haven’t totally fell asleep in Bradenton yet Desoto needs to jump on that opening with both feet.

“…OS, if you have any information on people ‘not getting along with the track’ please shed some light on that.”--Scott
I have nuthin’. I said they gots to get along with the track. Your inference is logical, though… Here are some guesses that I suspect are close:

“Something here doesn’t sound right. As we all know there are at least 2 sides, and sometimes three sides to a story.”--Jacko

“It sounds like someone’s feathers got ruffled.”–04

“Just another example of Yo[h]o doing what he does best. Being unpredictable and crazy…I can only assume the reason for this decision is because Yo[h]o can’t be in full control of what goes on.”–Philyo

What I do know is that of all of the central florida tracks, Showtime is generally good on car count. That tips the Promoter/Series/Car Owner relationship balancing act in his favor.

I gotta disagree, OS. Yoho’s Sportsman car counts have been anemic at best pre-Wheelman. There have been 3 tracks here that have regularly have had good Sportsman car counts this year. Wheelman (Citrus and Showtime) and New Smyrna. The other tracks, all of them, have struggled. What’s the common denominator? A third party that brings in extra money or contingencies. With Wheelman its Dorer bringing in his suppliers and free tires. With NSS its EJ from American Auto with tires, gift cards and the extra purse Dash for Cash. Dorer and EJ will also get on the horn and call racers to help get a bigger field. Racers appreciate this extra effort and help. At the end of the day I believe the racers loyalty will be with the series and not Showtime.

Fair enough.

But I would suggest that from Robert’s perspective, he regularly has pretty fair fields of Late Models & Modifieds, and he has gotten them from his dictatorial–yet racer oriented–ways.

And he also has pretty fair fan count attending those races, and good street stock count, and every Neon ever sold this side of N’Awleans.

And so…

That’s a shame, that series was really putting on some good races. But as far as i know, Citrus is still on board with the Wheelman series and now they can schedule a couple more Wheelman races.

If you guys Do not race at these tracks or the series then stop posting your theories! This sport and these tracks don’t need any more negativity!

And The Beat Goes On…

A valid point, but not a positive one.

Nonetheless, remember that Showtime decided not to host the Wheelman series before Mr. Scott Garrity typed the first word.

Maybe (maybe not) before even that Wheelman slighted Showtime in some fashion, or perhaps became dissatisfied with the partnership and ended it from their end.

Regardless of the currently unknown details, when the actual plug was pulled is when the “negativity” occurred.

We are just talking theoretical smack, as it is in fact a message board.

Talking smack attracts viewers, which then read “Crooks Racing 704-660-6672” at the top of the page, buy some of their stuff from time to time, and in turn Crooks supports KARNAC.

And KARNAC is a place for racers, owners, mechanics & fans to share information–both fact and fiction.

And that is a positive thing overall, I would say.

Where’s Todd Hutto when we really need him?
He had a GREAT thing going with the Southern Sportsman Series.
They had great rules, ran all over the place, very good car counts, and some very good competition.
I liked one of their policies… the winner of the previous race can start no better than 12th , providing that they even got IN the top 12 in qualifying.
I’ve never really chased races where the “lower” divisions were the Stars of the night, but the SSS was an exception.
Probably went to 6-8 different tracks when this series was featured.

@ OS:

From Showtime’s Facebook: “Showtime has elected to drop The Racecar Engineering Wheelman Series sanction at the Clearwater Fl. facility.” That statement clearly shows that it was Showtime’s decision to end the partnership. As to why they made this decision is anybody’s guess because, as of this date, they have not publicly made an announcement for their reasons. Maybe Rick Day could clear things up on this matter, as he seems to be the spokesman for Showtime on this board.

@Frasson118:

That’s the biggest disappointment regarding this decision. I remember the awesome Southern Sportsman Series and was super bummed when it folded because I had intended to compete in it right before it’s demise in 2008. All the failed and floundering series that followed it have never recaptured the excitement that series created…until Wheelman came along. I was floored when I heard Showtime dropped the series. I fully expected Wheelman to expand, not contract. I thought, for sure, that this series would be branching out to other tracks in 2018 and bring its win-win-win (competitors, tracks and fans) concept to new venues. In essence, I thought Wheelman could recapture all of the positive nature and success of the old Southern Sportsman Series. Hopefully that can still happen, but Showtime’s decision is definitely a setback. You need to take in one of these events at Citrus, Jerry. I am sure you will be impressed. I have not competed in Wheelman this year because I was one of a handful of cars that was hit hardest by the near statewide rule changes and did not have the money to change my car AND compete this year. However, that has not stopped me from being a huge fan of attending these events from a fan’s perspective and supporting it in that way. Yes, the racing is indeed that good. Granted, they don’t have the old SSS previous-winner-starts-no-better-than-12th rule. However, the series is still in its infancy and they are doing all that they can to make it better. I hope this decision by Showtime is just a minor setback and that other venues will consider bringing in this great series. In my opinion, you’d be a fool not to. I mean, super competitive racing with lots of passing, good fields, minimal financial commitment from the tracks, yet still draws big crowds. I just can’t see the downside. Hopefully they can rebound from this, grow their involvement and bring back the grandeur of our old beloved Southern Sportsman Series.

“I have not competed in Wheelman this year because I was one of a handful of cars that was hit hardest by the near statewide rule changes and did not have the money to change my car AND compete this year. However, that has not stopped me from being a huge fan of attending these events from a fan’s perspective and supporting it in that way.”–Scott Garrity

Mr Garrity is a stand up guy.

Hopefully by one means or another he will be able to race with those guys in the future. I wonder how many similar cars are out there…?

Don’t miss the greatest show on Florida asphalt tonite at Citrus! I’ll be there drinking $3 pints in Turn 4! :ernaehrung004::sport009:

Why don’t you drag that #07 to New Smyrna?

I’ll buy you a beer after the race, Sudsman.

I’d love to, OS. However, I’m working today and need to save the funds for a set of tires for the NSS/Bronson Series 50 on 8/26. $580 don’t come easy for the Sudsman. I also want to kinda watch what transpires over there in the next two Sportsman events before I make my trip back on the 26th. Enjoy the racing tonite and Go Patrick!!!