If Race Tracks Popped Up Like Sports Stadiums

At the end of the 2016 racing season my old home track Columbus Motor Speedway in Ohio went the way of the used to be’s and closed its gates for the final time to make way for an expanded practice facility for Major League Soccers Columbus Crew Franchise.The 2016 season marked the 71st consecutive year of operations at the Speedway all under control of the Nuckles family.The Columbus Crew had built a new,at that time,state of the art Soccer Specific Stadium for the Crew who played their first game in the new stadium in 1999.I read online yesterday that the Crew is threatening to move to Austin Texas unless they get a new stadium built in downtown Columbus.The current stadium is located on the State Fairgrounds about 7 miles north of downtown.Never mind the fact that the new practice facility built on the former Speedway property is WAY too nice for high school events and situated nowhere near any area university or the Downtown area of Columbus.So the Speedway is gone and quite possibly the soccer team that took over its place could be too by next year.I heard today The Tampa Bay Rays want to build a new Baseball Stadium in YBOR CITY. Tropicana field,the Rays current home opened in 1990.Wouldnt it be great if new Race Tracks sprang up this way? It would be like days gone by when every town had a race track.I know that’s a dream but in the case of the Crew they had two new Stadiums built in less than twenty years.Meanwhile a proposed new Speedway in Columbus has dragged along for 10 years now with a promised opening date of May 2017,it currently sits idle and unstarted.

Unfortunately, they don’t just “pop up”.

They are largely guvment funded.

A question–which demographic group (mainly) are racers?

And does that fit the current narrative…?

Uh, that would be a big negatory.

Hey Eric is any thing left of the track where it could be re-opened if the soccer team leaves?

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;175742]Unfortunately, they don’t just “pop up”.

They are largely guvment funded.

A question–which demographic group (mainly) are racers?

And does that fit the current narrative…?

Uh, that would be a big negatory.[/QUOTE]

Demographics are kind of like the times Old School, they are changing.While Baseball is still very big here in Florida, not as much in different parts of the country.Its not necessarily geared and aimed at young people as much as days gone by.Involvement in motorsports meanwhile has gotten younger and younger the past couple of decades.While businesses and corporations keep aiming at the young demographic with disposable income,they would just as much clean the pockets of anyone that has anything to clean out.Soccer on the other hand IS quickly gaining interest but IMO hasn’t proven it can consistently put more butts in the seat on a weekly basis to match baseball or motorsports.

From the picture I have seen,conceivably yes,but realistically no.The Village of Obetz wanted it just as much to expand the Zuchini Festival held directly behind the Speedway pit area every August.The village had used the Speedway parking lot for parking for the festival for the last decade And I’m sure what they paid out to the Nuckles family to do so made it a no brainer for them to acquire the property once the family showed interest in selling out.The proposed new Speedway is to be built on the site of the former Jet Stadium the one time home of the Pittsburgh Pirate and New York Yankees triple A affiliate.One of the Schottenstein family is involved in a group called Arshot Investment who is the developer of the project.The new Speedway was supposed to be open in May of this year but as noted in a series of articles in the Columbus Dispatch earlier this year Arshots focus seems to be more on a high rise condo development in downtown Columbus.

Columbus Motor Speedway had been around for a long, long time. It was neat little track, but sold to the county/city…for the story sais. It will not be rebuilt by any means whatsoever----as the lights, catch fencing, some guard cement, and the scoreboard, all were purchased, and delivered to Baer Field/Fort Wayne, Indiana, Raceways.
Another lost old speedway on the books.

Now, if only more Drive-In Movie Theaters-------- would pop-up.

“Demographics are kind of like the times…, they are [a] changing.”–04

Indeed, but the fact remains, no race tracks “popping up” (like, presumably, mushrooms).

But for the sake of discussion, anyone heard of a guvment funded track built and/or operated back in the heyday let me know.

Yoho knows about government funding. He funds 'em every month. :dry:

“Now, if only more Drive-In Movie Theaters-------- would pop-up.”--AB195

That sparked an idear. A track could put up a screen on the backstretch and a projector in the infield during the week.

That way, if they played their cards right, they could lose money every day of the week instead of just one!

Perhaps I am I am being cynical in the name of comedy. I am thankful for our self-funded tracks and the ongoing efforts of all of our promoters.

ive

Actually, the Silver Moon Drive-In, Lakeland, fl, right across the street from the old Silver Dollar Raceway, an old 1/4 miler, asphalt,----still exist, went there last week. Saw a good movie.
The old raceway is now a housing development.

THE PLACE WAS PACKED, SOLID.

so is the housing ,too.

I was hoping some day to take our SLM back to my home tracks for a race. I guess that won’t happen now unless I go to Shady Bowl or Kil Kare

No chance of ever reappearing at Columbus

But I would suggest IF you ever decide to go back up to run you and Sean go up to Kil Kare for the Robbie Dean Memorial at Kil Kare.Donnie Renner has put major effort into keeping that race alive and Donnies a good guy and deserves all the support they can get to keep that race going.It’s usually scheduled in August so it’s during the shut down period here in Florida.

Unfortunately sad but true Old School

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;175753]“Demographics are kind of like the times…, they are [a] changing.”–04

Indeed, but the fact remains, no race tracks “popping up” (like, presumably, mushrooms).

But for the sake of discussion, anyone heard of a guvment funded track built and/or operated back in the heyday let me know.

Yoho knows about government funding. He funds 'em every month. :dry:[/QUOTE]
But also you have to recognize back in our heyday motorsports were looked down on by many people, especially those of an official position.It is much more socially accepted now than it ever was when I was younger.I think some of that is reflected in the younger and younger age of a lot of the participants.The money that has flowed into and out of Nascar didn’t hurt either.If there is money to be made it’s funny how society views things.

“But also you have to recognize back in our heyday motorsports were looked down on by many people, especially those of an official position.It is much more socially accepted now than it ever was when I was younger.”--04

So, wait, what…?

If I got it right, racing is now held in higher stature but no one watches so still no funding(?!).

I would agree, except for that higher stature part…