Racefans do yourself a favor

And I have several family members who literally drank themselves to death and yet still no a few who smoke weed to this very day. Touch? I guess. The point is alcohol is a drug. Whether the government deems it legal or. It. Same with cannabis.

So to say you can?t compare moonshiners to weed dealers is one of the most asanine things I?ve read on this board. (And that?s saying a lot)

As for the ?tax evasion? argument that was made earlier, that actually made me laugh out loud. If that is at the root of someone not ?giving a dime? to Gary Balough then I would again argue that I hope you ask for the tax returns and books for every racetrack, souvenir trailer, food vendor, etc. that you give business to. AGAIN, NOT ALL ARE BAD, but there are plenty out there cheating the government out of every dime possible. Hell who is our President right now? (just had to throw that one in there. Although I?m sure that will now turn this into an argument about how bad Obama was since that seems to be the most popular defense for anything Trump does/doesn?t do.)

As for Old Schools point, I grew up less than 15 miles outside of Boston in a completely Dry town. When I left there in ?94 it was still dry. I understand only recently they have started to allow alcohol sales. But weed is 100% legal in MA for recreational use. Scratch your head on that one!

Westerville Ohio,a northern suburb of Columbus is still a dry town to this day as far as I know.There was an old dug well on our property south of Columbus that an old guy my wife knew said had a still next to it and the operators paid him to carry water when he was a young kid (we would have been talking early 1920s probably).Now they are working on legalization of marijuana in Ohio and one of the applications for a grow facilities permit came from a entity using a location close to where I lived on a road named,get a load of this now no kidding I know the road…Seeds road.

“…Who is our President right now? (just had to throw that one in there. Although I’m sure that will now turn this into an argument about how bad Obama was since that seems to be the most popular defense for anything Trump does/doesn’t do.)”–Mark Keeler

Ya did bring it up…

Let’s see, personal responsibility is a rare thing for one to possess these days, but divvying up the shee-ite from the shinola goes as follows (imo only):

>Trump “maximizes” his tax liabilities. I have no quarrel with that. So do I.

>Trump’s achievements stand on their own. IMO, the guy has never held office, and has both parties and all three branches of gubment militantly against him. And the media? Another really above board bunch.
He is doing much better than I had guessed he would, against greater odds than I thought he would face.

>And Obama? A disaster on any and every front that makes Jimmie Carter look almost bright.

And those two assessments have nothing to do with each other.

Bottom line, if you hate the man then just say that. Plain and simple, cut and dry. . There’s no harm in simply stating it. But unfortunately everyone feels the need to try and quantify everything and by doing so delegitamizes their whole argument. I learned a long time ago that “explaining is losing”.

My understanding of the book is that it is primarily about his racing, innovation, “outside the box” way of looking at the sport and how to gain an edge, etc. but at the same time he does not try to deny or mislead anyone about what happened and what he was doing. Personally I would rather read that than an account that just praises him for the good and ignores the bad.

Can’t wait to read it.

Word.:ernaehrung004:

So I started reading Gary’s book. It is starting off very interesting, and I like the style it is written in. Long time stock car writer Bones Bourcier helped him write it. He does say he will offer some explanations, but no apologies. He feels like the time he served in prison paid his dues.

No apologies for being found guilty of breaking laws for selfish non-taxed profit, spending taxpayer dollars for hunting him down and prosecuting him and to house him for a shortened prison stay. He owes society for his costs…Proves prison doesn’t rehabilitate folks…
Sounds like a real arrogant bastard to me. He did his some time but maybe not a recipient of true justice. His maker will be the true judge.

Thanks for the initial objective take, Jacko. I always liked Bone’s stuff.

“Sounds like a real arrogant bastard to me.”--'Pounder

“Now that’s funny right there.”–Larry the Cable Guy

“[Gary’s] maker will be the true judge.”–GPII

True dat. And mine. But good deeds will not get you in The Big Back Gate in the Sky, nor will bad deeds keep you out.

Only one rule in The Rulebook. A sincere commitment to The Winning Team. I am trying to stay legal.

And “Groundpounders” last few posts done disappeared for one reason or another. :fragend005:

Still, there were a few quotes taken from them before they went missing that were used for a good cause, so all is not “lost”…

OS, if you want to read it when I am done, I will ship it to you. That way we won’t have to give Gary any more money. :slight_smile:

We are on the verge of having an intelligent discussion here on KARNAC. so I’ll keep it juvenile.

Here is a picture I found of groundpounder and shorttrackcar: two guys on the sidelines who are lecturing us about a book they did not read.

GP and shorttrack.jpg

Thank you so much, Joe.

[QUOTE=Boneman;177237]We are on the verge of having an intelligent discussion here on KARNAC. so I’ll keep it juvenile.

Here is a picture I found of groundpounder and shorttrackcar: two guys on the sidelines who are lecturing us about a book they did not read.[/QUOTE]

Man Oh Man, you done stepped in it now! :smiley:

with all of this talk about just one book

I want to announce my plans for the all new Karnac Library to open soon.

Am just hoping Boneman lets Shorttrack post in his own thread.

https://youtu.be/3at_Ev2kOoI?list=RD3at_Ev2kOoI&t=3

Maybe Brian can check with Gary for a lawyer experienced in such things.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nascar-ceo-brian-france-arrested-dwi-drug-possession-161502794.html

Meanwhile, don’t go to the races. Don’t watch it on TV. Certainly don’t buy any sponsorship products.

In fact, don’t “like” your favorite driver anymore, since as soon as they turn the next lap they will be complicit in Brian’s crime.

That will teach him.

the Only people who might want to read the book are ones who weren?t there Rex . I only stated I would not buy or support it . The intelligent conversation only goes south when you post pictures on here like a child . And make fun of people .

Mission accomplished!

I was there, although I never raced against Gary. I did race against a few of the people he has mentioned so far in the book, and I am only a third of the way thru it. I wanted to hear his side of his story. Just like I wanted to hear from the Whittingtons, the Pauls, and others. I will say he is very fond of his time racing in Florida. He speaks very highly of almost everyone who was involved, and who helped him along the way here.

And now, a “Balough Moment”:

One time at Bithlo they were having a big show, with qualifying.

Then they lined 'em up in order and started the driver intros from the rear forward.

Now, the event sponsor was “Total Seal Piston Rings”, and they had their “spokesperson” there, “Miss Total Seal” (I am not making this up). She was a little thing, but not that young and not that green.

Anyway, after the intro, each guy got a smooch. So they are working their way up through the field, and I am thinking, “man, this is not a good night to be on the pole”.

And the guy on the pole was Balough. When it finally got to be his turn he rolled her backward and planted about a 30 second hot kiss on the girl.

She came up smiling. Perhaps he spoke highly of her in the book.