new OWM class

some of our local racers are starting a new OWM class, these are cars with bomber engine & tire rules, standard shock rule as well, trying to improve car count and less costs to race, so what’s your thoughts on this class?

Emods failed. Why?

IMO, because they looked and sounded too…bomber class. Especially compared to the high dollar mods.

The trick will be to have the same glitz–and close to the same sound, for less money. Hint: Think open wheel sportsman cars.

Rule number one: Big 4 barrel carb.

ps–no coil bind = side by side racing.

they still get to run the crossover headers which a true bomber runs stock exhaust manifolds and straight pipes, the engine rule also includes the GM 602 crate motor with the 650 karb, hopefully will sound like the pro trucks or better, with the street tires they hoping for better racing

Tires has been, is, and always will be…everything.

I assume there will be some spec otherwise I can see them costing more than race tires.

Or rather, a handful of fast cars will be on expensive rubber.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;177536]Emods failed. Why?

IMO, because they looked and sounded too…bomber class. Especially compared to the high dollar mods.

The trick will be to have the same glitz–and close to the same sound, for less money. Hint: Think open wheel sportsman cars.

Rule number one: Big 4 barrel carb.

ps–no coil bind = side by side racing.[/QUOTE]

E-mods did not fail fact !!! they had such a good car count at the time averaging 20 cars at osw Fact !!! And the big motor guys at new Smyrna were averaging 6 then they started complaining to Kim. two big mod motor guys in particular saying that if they cancel the E mods if would force the E- mod guys to build big motors and switch over to big motor mod . It never happen most of those guys took their crate motors and built sportsman LOL . So the end result still have no big mod car count . So bring on the new mods I think it?s time for a Permanent change and move forward stick with it.

Factman, where are the infamous emods in Central Fla?

I think a few may have migrated up to Bronson…

Regardless, if some racers want to pull cars out of mothballs and find a track to host them (Biflo?), then mo power to them (well, not more power, but some power).

About how many are on board so far, Circledude?

yes OS there is a tire rule, street 60 series tire 400 rating, I believe this is the same as the Bomber rules

Good, good.

I have always felt that less tire equaled better competition by negating a lot of motor.

And who doesn’t like sideways racecars?

Meanwhile, (I think) Cup is going with less motor and more spoiler in 2019–which means the mod guys are probably on the right path.

ps–Have had 3 or 4 older BFG white letter tires with good tread de-laminate in the last few years. On the other hand, also recently heard a hill jack small engine repair guy indicate that he smoked the tread right off of some generals (I saw them), but that BFG tires would hold up to his (Bo Duke style) abuse for a lot longer–indicating to me that the generals are softer.

You ask where are they ? parked on jackstnds . some where sold to guys up north and some were parted out . Like I said most took there crate motors and are running sportsman class crate motors !!!you know the top car producing class currently in the state.

Yes.

IMO, the current mods will eventually head in the direction you are indicating, one way or the other.

But further, imo, they will not be resurrected emods.

Jacques feels that bringing down older NE full tube cars with crate (or similar) motors would be cheaper and more exciting in the long run.

I think that idea has a lot of merit, however it excludes all of the current iron lying around, and there would be an additional investment cost.

But who knows, this new class may take off. Like OSW, we will see.