Announcer Dave

It was a shock to hear of the passing of Announcer Dave. He was an amazing man and one of the original Karnacians. A super announcer in all respects, man has forgotten more about Florida racing history than most people know.
If Dave could only see all the great posts people have displayed in the past few days, he’d be one happy fella… sure wish we had said all those great things about the man while he was still with us and could appreciate the love we all have for him…
Dave, you will be missed my friend, but never be replaced… there will always a place in my heart for the man who knew more about racing history than anyone I know of… God Speed Dave.

A shock indeed and he will be missed…

OSF-- You make a good point. If you care about someone, let them know now. And later.

All in all, it is a short ride for all of us, thankfully we have racing to help “make it count” while we are here.

I read this on Rick Bristol’s Facebook page on Sunday night and was hoping someone else might post it instead of me.Dave was one of the few boardmembers I have actually met in person and I felt he was the best track announcer in the state hands down.I will miss hearing him at Auburndale.He was a classic announcer in his style of telling the race fans where a driver was from or any big wins or hard wrecks a guy had recently and in years past.R.I. P. Dave.

I never met the man, but I will definitely miss the racing knowledge and stories he used to share on this board.

God speed my friend, Thank you for all the loving care you took to organize Floridas racing history as seen through the camera lens,I hope your site finds its way to the hands of someone who can keep it going.

Very sorry to hear about Dave. He was a very kind man. He made the trip up to my shop and few times, and he would tell me so much about the history of Florida stock car racing.

I lost a friend and great fellow announcer.: Dave Westerman. Dave along with Karnac’s Jack Smith and legendary promoter Don Nerone were instrumental in helping me get my announcing career re-established in the state of Florida when I moved to the Sunshine State from New England where I had announced racing for some 25 years at several speedways.

Dave was a walking encyclopedia of knowledge about Florida racing which he generously shared with me as a mentor. Although I didn’t get that many opportunities to announce alongside him I will never forget those few I did. He was so easy to work with and we made a great team. He was the consummate pro.

R.I.P. Dave, you will be sorely missed.

I always admired Dave?s dry and under-stated sense of humor. He had a very quick wit, but he used it gently, and never to harm.

A few years ago, we used to have an annual party at a kart racing track in Orlando. One year Dave was racing with the best of them. He would plant himself in the bottom groove and make himself unpassable. It was not my proudest day as a driver, but we all had fun and I know Dave loved it.

I will miss my racin? buddy Dave.