1965 I-75 Speedway

As most of you know back in the 60’s Valdosta’s I-75 Speedway was a Grand National track. A friend of mine brought me some programs they used to sell at the track the contains pictures from the previous week. I was looking through them and found some interesting stuff. One was a picture of Cale Yarbrough after after he won the Grand National race here.

Anyway I scanned one of the programs and put them on my new website. The site is far from finished but I was excited about getting the pictures up. When you pull the site up click on the I75 Speedway button, then scroll down to see all the program. Have fun and let me know what you think so far.

http://www.saturdaynightthunder.com

Thanks
Greg Daniels

Greg,

Enjoyed checking out the stuff you have up on your site so far. You know you’re at a track in the deep south when one of the local driver’s name is ‘Coot’. :laugh:

Not familiar with I-75 Speedway at all (stopped by once while passing through to spectate years ago) but used to hear alot about it back then while racing down here in Fl.

I see Tiny’s in that program also along with some other great names to be.

Never forget him showing up in Auburndale one night in the early 70’s. We had pulled over there from St. Pete to race in a special event and he popped in completely unannounced. Even though he was on the down-side of his career at the time he drew quite a bit of attention.

We heard later that he had been in Daytona that day for some reason and a local owner with connections had contacted him just in the off-chance he would consider coming over and participating in the event so he took him up on it.

He was blossomed out and quite huge by this time so it was a spectacle watching that crew modify the seat brackets, steering column, etc. just to get him in it! They completed the task and changed the number to his standard number 55 just in time for the feature. It was pretty neat.

Anyway, this old fart enjoyed seeing the old coupes, sedans, etc. so keep up the good work on the old stuff! :aktion033:

Jim F.

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Fenton. It means alot coming from you as I have followed your posts here for some time now.

I chose that program to put up first because of Tiny and Cale being in it. I have several more to scan plus I have some pictures from a few more dirt tracks to put up.

I contacted the man who made those programs back in the day to get autherization to scan and post them. It did my heart good to see the way he changed when he started remembering the old days. He told me a few great stories.

The guy named Coot was one of the old legends around here. He is still living he is in his mid 80’s goes to the dances every friday night and still goes fishing every day. A few years ago he took off in his truck and gave the local law a run for their money. They had the whole force trying to catch him and try as they may he just kept going. When they did get him stoped he was asked why he did it? He said “I just wanted to see if I still Had it”. He was in his late 70’s at this time and yes he still “had it”

He has been a friend of mine since I can remember and he has some great stories to tell.

Thanks for looking in and commenting.

Greg Daniels

do any of you remember harvey jones?

Reputation only if it’s the same Harvey Jones.

South Georgia dirt racer? Late 40’s, early 50’s I’m thinking. That’s way before my time (believe it or not) but I remember a mechanic I knew years ago in Largo Fl that was a wizard with the old flathead Ford V-8’s and I think he mentioned that name as being good with a flathead also up in GA. Might not be the same guy though.

This don’t have anythying to do with your question but the flathead guy I knew was one of those mechanics that had no problem with grabbing plug wires on and off an engine and holding onto the business end while it was running to see which cylinder was dead. I know there’s a lot of guys out there like that but myself, I’d rather take a beating than to hold onto a 5-HP Briggs & Stratton plug wire to see if it’s got fire let alone an old flathead Ford V-8 with a mag on it.

According to those that knew him in his younger years, one of his favorite stunts (I’m told but never saw him do it after I started hanging around)) was to bring the motor up off idle in the garage, than lay both arms across the exposed plugs on both banks and kill the engine. :blink:

Jim F.

Yeah Harvey was and continues to be a legend around these parts. If you checked out my site there was alot of stuff with him in it there.

Harvey continued to race even into the 80’s and could still whip some tail. They have annual reunions here which he was to be at the last one a few weeks ago but I wasn’t able to make it.

Thanks
Greg

yes I know. I see him about every couple of weeks. His son leslie is my help on my car. Harvey had a birthday last month. he’s 87 I believe now. Miss Hazle sure could provide some awsome photos. She has them all. From the early 50’s to his last race in 2001. His last championship was the last year cordele was dirt in 97. He still goes to north florida when the late models are running and he loves it as much now as ever. When ever I need advice I go see him because he still knows his stuff.

Also the race in which cale raced in valdosta harvey finished 5th

Oh yeah I remember when Leslie would get on Harveys nerves some of the fights they had !!

If you ever have the chance, show Harvey my website. I have alot more stuff with him in it that I will be adding very soon.

I hope to cover races all over south georgia and north florida this coming season.

I have had my go rounds with leslie myself but he’s dam good help. whats your name and web site

opps I see the web site duhh

hey greg would you believe harvey still has the skeeter car that you have pics of on your web site in his garage. Also he was inducted into the georgia racing hall of fame in dawsonville a couple of months ago.

Yeah I had heard that he still has every one he ever owned. I also heard that he has the one that Hulon got killed in parked on a farm somewhere.

I know he owns th e farm where he was born out east of town about 40 acres I think as far as there being hulon’s car out there I have no idea. But yes to the cars he owns he even has a little 1/4 midget looks like a go cart from the 50’s he raced. He had an old harley which is what he started onin the 40’s but he sold it a few years back