Bronson Motor Speedway Will be Open in 2009

Levy County Commissioner and former Bronson racer Tony Parker has leased BMS for next year 3 years. Mike Cope is very happy about the new era at Bronson and said Tony has energetic plans for the future.

Real Racin USA will have much more on this story late in the week and on the next [URL=“http://insidefloridaracing.com”]INSIDE FLORIDA RACING.

That is great news! The more tracks, the merrier. I’ll try to make my first appearance at the “bull ring” in 2009.

“Its been a part of my life since it’s been there and I raced there 14 years.” Tony Parker Levy County Commissioner said today.

Tony will be a special guest on Monday night IFR 7-9 PM .

The new promoter has signed a lease purchase agreement and wants to expand the facility with mud bogging, a go-kart track, youth activities and concerts to augment the stock car racing program.

“I want this to be more than just a race track, its a big part of the community”, Parker said.

After talking with Tony Parker for 15 minutes, I understand why Mike Cope was so excited about this new era from BMS. He is a down to earth man, rooted in the community (perhaps being re-elected today to his third term as Commissioner), and you certainly get a sense of a man who feels he is at the right place at the right time to make a difference.

-Jack Smith

[QUOTE=USAMedia;17868]"I
The new promoter has signed a lease purchase agreement and wants to expand the facility with mud bogging, a go-kart track, youth activities and concerts to augment the stock car racing program.

“I want this to be more than just a race track, its a big part of the community”[/QUOTE]

Awesome! This is great news after a hard day. I have been saying that tracks need to do more stuff like this all along.

Congrats to;Mr. Parker, Mr. Cope, Bronson area, and the Sport of Stock Car Racing!!!

Bronson is a Great Track. The FASTRUCK Series would go two or three times a year. Great Fans, and the local support. The tracks need to work together for all of us to survive these time. If we can help in any way please call. 813-817-7223. Good luck hope to meet you soon.
Bobby Diehl:huepfen024:

[QUOTE=USAMedia;17866]Levy County Commissioner and former Bronson racer Tony Parker has leased BMS for next year 3 years. Mike Cope is very happy about the new era at Bronson and said Tony has energetic plans for the future.

Real Racin USA will have much more on this story late in the week and on the next [URL=“http://insidefloridaracing.com”]INSIDE FLORIDA RACING.
[/QUOTE]

Any word on awards for the 2008 season champs? Sheldon Bowers took the Sportsman Championship and I finished top 5, after missing some races. Hope to hear something on the web site soon. Had a great time at BMS.
—JIM—

I’m glad to see Bronson opening again , its too good a track to be closed or bulldozed . Good Luck Tony .

That’s great! wish their would have done the samething with USA.

Tony Parker…oooops!!

Two Levy County Commissioners Suspended by Governor

By Lou Elliott Jones

Levy County Commission Chairman Sammy Yearty and Commissioner Tony Parker, who both won re-election to their posts this year, are suspended from office by Gov. Charlie Crist.

County Attorney Anne Bast Brown’s office was notified today that the two were suspended from office after federal indictments were unsealed in Gainesville charging the two with corruption…

Brown’s office has not been informed whether the governor will appoint replacements to serve on the board during the suspensions, but with three commissioners still on the board they will have a quorum to meet and conduct county business.

County Coordinator Freddie Moody said he was contacted by Brown about the suspensions this evening.

“I knew nothing at all about it (the indictment),” he said. “I did not have an inkling.”

He said he had talked to Yearty this morning and the commissioner said nothing to him about being under investigation.

“I am as shocked as I can be,” Moody said.

Parker, just won re-election in a tight race on Tuesday against Republican challenger Abraham Blitch. Yearty won re-election handily in the August 26 primary.

Florida racing just can’t seem to get a break. We will follow up as best we can on what effect this will have on the race track’s future.

FROM THE GAINESVILLE SUN:
Two Levy commissioners, two others indicted

By Lise Fisher
Staff writer

Published: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 at 5:44 p.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 at 5:44 p.m.

Four government officials, two from Cross City and two from Levy County, have been indicted in what appears to be a widening investigation into allegations of bribery and corruption in some area North Florida counties and municipalities.

Thread moved

Why was this thread moved from the Karnac board?

I Still have hope the track will open next year. If Tony is found guilty, I don’t see how that is going to happen, Unless someone else leases/buys the track. I live about one mile from the track, It sucks driving by every sat. evening on my way to another track to watch some racing. I started racing here, It has a special place in my heart.

Think Positive!!!

Glen,

Why the negativity? Seems that you have stepped up and became judge and jury against Tony. What happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty? What does Tony Parker’s status as a commissioner have to do with his leasing the race track. With the demise of so many tracks why do you need to bring this up on this forum? Every race track has its issues and they all could use fan support regardless of the little things. Mike Cope has stepped up and said that he doesn’t know the answer and is willing to make a deal to give someone the chance make it happen. Trust me I know how much blood, sweet and tears have gone into BMS since Mike has owned it. Part of the problem is negitivity breeds negitivity just like in racing cautions breed cautions! How many times were you there this past season to show your support? Don’t post the negitive look for the positive and run with that!

Jimmy, I am not being negative. I know how much work has been put into that track by Mike, Jane, Tommy and yourself. I have put some blood sweat and tears into the track myself. I have been going to that track since it was built! I have raced there many years. I worked at Bronson Speedway for more years than Mike has owned it. I bring this subject up here because the track needs more support. If nobody knows about it, nothing will ever get done. As far as myself supporting the track this year, I was not always in the pits, But in the stands with my wife and two children. The statement I made about going to other tracks was after the track closed. I have supported Bronson Speedway, And as long as it is open, I will continue. As far as Tony goes, I hope he doesn’t have to serve time for what he has been charged with. I actually voted for Tony. I have known Tony for about 20 years. I hope he is cleared of any wrong doing. I was not trying to be negative in any way, I am sorry if it sounds that way.

What happened to innocent until PROVEN guilty?

not going to make much difference if he’s spending a good portion of next spring/summer in court proving himself innocent.

plus, Federal bribery / corruption cases tend to be slam dunks. people accepting cash directly from an FBI agent on video, etc. you don’t normally get off of one of these unless your lawyer can jigger a technicality OR unless the people sitting on your jury are just as corrupt as you are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abscam