Can Anyone ID This Driver?

I in-fact don’t have a clue who this is or why I have it in my collection of photos.

I’m not even sure if the number’s supposed to be 73 or 4 (7 minus 3) LOL.

The track is Sunshine Speedway and the time is mid-70’s (best guess).

This looks like either a Thundercar or a Figure-Eight car however the left front doesn’t have enough negative Camber for a Figure-Eight so it’s probably a TC.

I suppose it could also be a Hurricane car since they were running that class in the early 70’s for the ladies but if it is, hopefully it’s the gal’s old man or crew member driving it with a mustache that healthy.

The only reason I posted this is in the event the driver, family member, crew, fan, etc. wants the original 8" X 10" color photo they’re welcome to it.

Hey Jim

Got a problem with that pic.

Top of stands sure look like Sunshine.
I had never seen such a low number of people any night during the summer (look at all the short sleeves).
That wall looks like sheet metal (see all the creases). Sunshine was a concrete wall along the front straight (this looks like coming out of FOUR - No Pun Intended)

Hate to say this, but I’m not sure it was Sunshine.

OSF: :ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004:

Hey Bob,

I hate to differ with ya man but I’m gonna have to on this one.

The wall on the front stretch at Sunshine was covered with metal.

See the next shot of your’s truly in the #59 LM I recently posted in the Photo by Numbers thread. That shot is taken at Sunshine almost at the same place only a little closer to turn four. Note the dented sheet metal wall in the background.

See also the second shot below which is a daylight shot of us (LM Class) lined up on the center of the front chute at Sunshine. Note the dented sheet metal wall in the background.

UnFOURtunately, I sometimes had a intimate relationship with that wall (pun intended)…LOL

:ernaehrung004:

Yep

“You win some, lose some” and OSF lost that one.

The first pic of you in that “Other” car was just after the concession stand (by the regular flag stand), the second pic (FOUR) was just before the concession stand… see, at least OSF knows his stuff about concession stands (cause that’s where the hamburgers are kept).

Well, we / you still don’t know who’s in that first pic… and I wonder why so few people in the stands on a summer night.

Later

OSF: :ernaehrung004: :ernaehrung004: :ernaehrung004:

Yeah, I’m just as puzzled about so few people in the stands in that shot. As you said, that wasn’t normal for that place. They always seemed to have a crowd no matter what was going on.

Anyway, maybe someone will still recognize the guy in the Mustang.

Uhavaguden Bob.

My guess is that the 7-3 pic was probably taken after the races were over, it looks like a newer race car and track staff might have let him go out there and get a pic after the regular show. The four pic shows the roof of the beer concession, hamburgers were on the other side. I recall Bontrager doing a couple end over ends down the front stretch with that yellow 12 one night.

Is that Jim Alvis in the #21?

I to reconize Ray in the #12, but was wondering if that was Jim in the #21.

Nope.

In that shot, it’s David Scarborough in the #21 Mustang.

I believe that they constructed a new wall when they became Nascar santioned. It was a Nascar requirerment that they have a least a 4’ high concrete fence

Must’ve been after 83’ then if they did.

Once I stepped out of the FOUR after a heat race in March of 83’, I never went back. Consequently, I’m not too familiar with events at the track after that date. Up until then, they were metal.

Getting this thread back on track, still no one recognizes the driver / #7-3 car above?

Thanks all,
jf

Lets See?

Not sure if I have the correct time in mind, but were you in the infield when you stepped out of the FOUR for the last time?

Time plays tricks and I’m just not sure if I remember it right.

Round D’ Round Racer
So. Ga (now)

Negative.

It was the first heat race of the new year. It was clear that we weren’t running fast enough to catch a cold so I pulled out early and drove back to our stall. The trailer ramps were still down from unloading earlier (we typically threw them back up onto the trailer to make room to work on the car) so I drove it right back up on the trailer and parked it.

A “discussion” ensued between us and that was it, done deal. I climbed out and left the track.

Except from the overpass out on Roosevelt Boulevard, I’ve never laid eyes on the race track since then.

A difficult desicion to say the least. That place was a big part of my life for 15 years or so.

jf

jim you allways had cool car neat numbers

and you could could get-er -done at sunshine and you did not do bad at gate see ya ron abney

Yes, this is Sonny Carter, a little bird (Friend) told me this. :ernaehrung004::

[QUOTE=Jim Fenton;20053]I in-fact don’t have a clue who this is or why I have it in my collection of photos.

I’m not even sure if the number’s supposed to be 73 or 4 (7 minus 3) LOL.

The track is Sunshine Speedway and the time is mid-70’s (best guess).

This looks like either a Thundercar or a Figure-Eight car however the left front doesn’t have enough negative Camber for a Figure-Eight so it’s probably a TC.

I suppose it could also be a Hurricane car since they were running that class in the early 70’s for the ladies but if it is, hopefully it’s the gal’s old man or crew member driving it with a mustache that healthy.

The only reason I posted this is in the event the driver, family member, crew, fan, etc. wants the original 8" X 10" color photo they’re welcome to it.

[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=“4”]WOW, no kiddin??

You mean after all this time we finally got a name for this guy? :huepfen024:

Geez Ricky I wish I had some sort of kewl prize for you there man for nailing this down but I just rummaged around in the Stump the Fans Photos grab bag and the damn thing is empty.

Oh well, at least we finally have a name to go with the face.

Does your little bird friend know if Mr. Carter is still around?[/SIZE]

Dam! Always a day late and a dollar short. How about a beer one night at the races? :ernaehrung004:

He may know where he is he was his neighbor at one time.

Ricky

[SIZE=“4”]OK Bro you’re on!

Lookin forward to it![/SIZE]