worst to first at Volusia

Night 1 was excellent at Volusia! I’ve never seen a sprint feature like this one. Donny Shatz was involved in a first lap tangle, then he went to the work area under red and returned just in time to start last. Over the next 30 green flag laps, he passed the best in the business to win! What a heck of a race!

A huge thank you to VSP for having a “jumbo tron” parked on the front straight. It had live action video and even instant replays. What a great addition that would be at NSS so we could see the back straight!!

The pits were packed with around 80 UMP modifieds. Very well done Volusia.

Donny Shatz absolutely put on a show. I have never seen the sprints during speedweeks at VSP before and I will have to say that I was amazed by the number of big names.
The modified race was pretty good too. I have never seen that many modifieds trying to get into one 20 lap feature race. I think there were 8 heats and 4 b mains and VSP crew did an excellent job of keeping the program moving. I saw tow trucks moving the second there was trouble on the track.
The jumbo tron was a nice touch as well.

Shatz performance was BAD ASS! He was flying through the field, slide job here bump there, absolutely amazing. Great race. I couldnt beleive the moves he was putting on people, with about 10 to go he was way out of the lead and closed it up like a maniac.

McCarl didnt fare so well Jack, flip in qualifying and barely missed the transfer spots. Haudenschild was flying in his transfer race, but not so impressive in the feature.

I thought for sure the Kahne cars were gonna dominte the feature, but that never materialized. Nobody had anything for Shatz. I was also impressed with Steve Kinser, he drove the hell out of his car.

The mods were very competetive, although they better get their stuff together if they think they are gonna beat that #7, he was flying around the high side and hardly put a wheel wrong all night.

Great show by VSP - they moved along without any major intermissions and cleaned up the wrecks with a purpose. I was very surprised and very appreciative. Surprisingly I wasnt that cold, we layered up big time, but we were comfortable all night. Out by midnight great show!!

No real report on the food or beer girls tonight, too much racing to get down there. We saw a ridiculous amount of racing last night.

How about the great start Stevie Smith has gotten so far! In a new ride for this year (the John Zemaitis/Zemco #1z), he has 3 top-3 finishes in a row. This is the same guy who lost his sister a few months ago in that senseless murder, arranged by her boyfriend.

I agree 100%. Great show!..I thought Sammy Swindell was going to check out in the feature using the high side. But as Frasson stated Stevie Smith put a heck of a run. But Schatz stole his thunder and the win.

1. Schatz
  2. Stevie Smith
  3. Swindell
  4. Lasoski
  5. Saldana

TMAC started 12th in his heat and charged to 6th and missed a transfer by one position in his heat race. But TMAC, Haudenschild and Hot Foot Jason Meyers all struggled during time trials and put themselves behind all night…That Conley guy in the #3 was fast but in the way most of the night.

Bubba the beerstand girl between the stands last night had talent but was well covered up.

I concur, the rest of the “talent” must have been in the pits.

Ho hum… It must be nice to see some racing… Some of us schmucks had to work…

ROFLMAO

I will be back out there on Thursday, so maybe they will bring in the reinforcements in the vendor area. I am planning on eating at the track on Thurs and I saw the Pork Chop sammich guy there, so I am sure I will spend some time surveying the situation.

Yall see that plexiglass modified? Looked pretty cool.

That Plexi mod was pretty cool, UNOH really out did themselves for speedweeks, what a great program. 3 mods, a late model and the plexi mod. Now all they need is for someone to work on their paint schemes.
The sprint car simulators were pretty neat too. I have been to VSP a few times in the past during speed weeks but last night was by far the best.

[QUOTE=Edm;21584]Donny Shatz absolutely put on a show. I have never seen the sprints during speedweeks at VSP before and I will have to say that I was amazed by the number of big names.
The modified race was pretty good too. I have never seen that many modifieds trying to get into one 20 lap feature race. I think there were 8 heats and 4 b mains and VSP crew did an excellent job of keeping the program moving. I saw tow trucks moving the second there was trouble on the track.
The jumbo tron was a nice touch as well.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=“4”]You was there and did’nt say hi to me :ohmy:…I’m speechless :(…LOL :laugh: glad you came to visit us dirt folks and enjoyed the racing action.:cool:[/SIZE]

It was incredible last night. The fourth heat race alone was a mini feature. It had 3 Hall of Famers (Swindell, Kinser & Haudenschild), the defending WoO Champ (Schatz) and the WoO Points runner up (Jason Meyers). That’s like a heat race at the King’s Royal at Eldora!

The “Wild Child” did put on a nice show in the B-Main on the high side as did Jason Meyers stealing the last transfer spot on the final lap.

The PA Posse represented nicely as well.

Gotta figure out how to keep the feet warm tonight…Duane for once working near the track is pretty cool. Plus not having to be to work until 8:30 helps too.

Damn, I knew I forgot something. It was kind of a last minute thing, didnt know we were going for sure until 5:00 pm or so. Walked in the gate at 7:35.

Evie says hi and wants you to know that you missed a good super bowl party and lots of good food.

how did the track hold up?

I was really rough, seemed to get better at the end though.

[QUOTE=Edm;21605]Damn, I knew I forgot something. It was kind of a last minute thing, didnt know we were going for sure until 5:00 pm or so. Walked in the gate at 7:35.

Evie says hi and wants you to know that you missed a good super bowl party and lots of good food.[/QUOTE]

Tell her I said hi,I know we was really wanting to come to the party,but I figured I would stay home and rest up some because I knew I had 12 long work days and nights ahead of me between my regular job and at the track for speedweeks…Thanks for the invite,maybe next time we will make it to the party.