Show Formula got to duck BUT

Yes the is a VERY OLD Yankee formula that was used in both divisions Modified/Sportsmen and Novice.
You got to the track you know the drill and just got ready.
(1) High point man TAIL of the 1st heat and so one till all three heats where filled with points cars.
(2) New cars FILLED in the back of the heat races to balance the car count
(3) You where PAID for heat wins and also got POINTS in the heats. so you RACED
(4) Top 5 or 6 moved to the Feature everyone else to the Consolation race.
(5) You then filled the 24 car field for the consy.
Take the cars that made the main from the feature and start the HIGHEST point car in 18th spot and so on to the front of the field. (Change would be if a non points car made the show they would start BEHIND the regular points cars)
(6) Consy Cars filled in the back (6) spots.
(7) ALL restarts where Double file period.
Try this formula with 60 cars in a Class.
Yes back in the Stone Age Modified and Sportsmen cars ran together and there was a Sportsmen Bonus for the top 3 Sportsmen cars in the feature. Also Separate points for the Sportsmen and Modified Cars.
The above would load the stands to see a real show. :ernaehrung004:

[QUOTE=georgep;23680]
You got to the track you know the drill and just got ready.[/QUOTE]

The problem today is we are too politically correct.

The drivers are asked what they want.

This is not an aweful thing but as i’ve said before there are 3 key elements to having a succefull SHOW. A Track, Drivers and Fans.

I’m not as old school as you but i never checked ahead of time for payout and so on. If i had a car for the race i WENT AND RACED.

i even got on a tear on this forum about payout and so on since i quit racing and became a grandstand racing analyst/expert.

I have finally came back to my senses on what really needs to happen to make a good SHOW.

I’m afraid it’s too late with (today’s) teams and track owners to get back to racing roots.

I still have a car at home but i can’t afford to race right now due to a number of things that are more important (hate to even hear myself say that) but i still attend races to support local tracks.

I just swiched from driving to one of the other aspects that makes it all work.

I came to my beloved home state for speedweeks and supported 4 tracks as i have done every year since i moved and was given my money’s worth at all of them. Ocala, NSS, Volusia and East Bay.

I went to Hickory motor speedway this past weekend and saw super LM,s LM stock, Streetstock all start staight up and fan out and follow each other…when one tried to pass they bumped and spun out…it was sad.

I didn’t bother staying for the trucks or hobbystocks (hondas and nissans and whatever other jap 4 bangers they had).

I’ll go this weekend to Cherokee probably to see limited sportsman and renegades fan out 4 wide and rub all the paint of the doors probably caution free.

Thats a show and a win…win…win for all three parts of a race night.

Take OSW for example, here is where the problem lies,
The last two weeks, you take the sportsman, modifieds, late models and you barley have enough cars to fill a 24 car field.

I like the idea of mixing the classes of all the cars that run near the same times, Frass actually brought that up to me. Then the faster you get the more you move up, the more pay out you get. The only problem you would have would be the sandbaggers.

It would take a track manager with a pair to accomplish something like this but I can see how it would work.

Here’s an example of no one listening…I checked out the Auburndale website. Haven’t been in a couple years and thought I might go. It looked like they were going to try and run 10 different classes this weekend! Somebody please tell me my math is wrong…

Go Karts, Stock Heavy, Stock light 3 in each, same deal
Headlines in Paper
100 cars FILL THE PITS, (10 in each class)

Edm’s quote: “Then the faster you get the more you move up, the more pay out you get. The only problem you would have would be the sandbaggers.”

This is why I added in the “5 Win” rule. After 5 wins in any bracket (other than the fastest bracket), you will be moved into the next quickest bracket.

Why sandbag yourself into 2nd place every week, and racing for less money?

Here is my idea that I spoke to Ed about, which he is refering to:

"I still think that some type of “bracket” racing would work. Get rid of the multitude of classes and nit-picky rule books (and tech people). Pay more purse to the quicker groups of cars, which would be an incentive to move up in class, or improve your racecar. For example, a 17 second car races against other 17 second cars… don’t matter if it’s a beefed-up Super Stock, or an old worn out Limited Late Model, you’re still racing against others in your own league. BUT, you’re only racing for say $300 to win. Now, if your in the 16 second group, you’d be racing for $500 to win. The 15 second group races for $800… and so on. If you win, say, 5 features, you are automatically bumped into the next quickest group (but also racing for more money!)

See where I’m going here?

P.S. - It would also have the added bonus of not having that “cookie-cutter” look to each group. Adding some plexiglass, a wedge-style nose, or losing some extra weight in the car could easily move your existing equipment into a faster group… and the cars would all look DIFFERENT. This is why, pretty much without exception, was one of the most appealing things about the old Southern Sportsman Series… MANY different body styles, yet the competition was very close (and yes… inverted fields with double-file restarts)

I’m tired of 4 classes of Monte Carlo’s!

I thought I was the only one tired of Monte Carlos. You would think it is the only car made, I realize full frame cars are hard to come by, but give us a break. Years ago at Ft. Pierce Lou Haines ran a mustang, connected the frames put in a cage and it worked great sure was better than all the cookie cutter cars I see now. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to make them a little more presentable the duct tape numbers and spray can numbers are awfull.

Hey guys… One of the reasons that the “monte” is so run… Has anyone checked a parts book these days… That is what the majority of parts are… Another little note, Chev parts are “Cheaper” and more plentiful as a used part these days… You have to remember that they had Chev, Olds, Buick, and Pontiac and the all used similar or exactly the same parts… So with limited funding, someone can get into the racing scene…

have a great day all…

I think he was talking about the bodies. I loved going to the southern sportsman races and seeing the old camaro bodies, wedge bodies and everything else.
I remember a few years back Jason Boyd drove an early 90s camaro body in a big late model race at Nss. It got wrecked that night and thats the last time I saw anything like that in a late model race.

"I still think that some type of “bracket” racing would work.

[B][I]IF and only IF yould have the racers to join the party, a promoter could have a hell of a extravaganza with that scenario.

Let’s say you take a track, and after some check up, couple of classes (series) around run between 16 and 18 sec., and you say: any car(truck), minimum lap time: 17 sec. We don’t care if this is a Mini Sprint or a Cup car, just bring it.

Now the faster cars can either adjust throttle stop, smaller carb, or whatever they decide to slow them down and the slower cars, the other way around, bigger slicks, bigger carb, remove weight, whatever pleases them.

Put transponders on every car and go from there. You could end up with 100+ cars real quick, IF and only IF the racers wanna play the game. Can you imagine : no more rules…Just don’t run any faster than…[/I][/B]

You would still need some kind of safety tech and I think you would have to separate the smaller cars for safety reasons.
Something drastic has to be done soon because lets face it, most of the racing has sucked these last couple of years around central Florida.

Ed, Have you been to CCMP lately? We have had some barn burners there in the last few months. We have had over 100 cars in the pits several times.
We had a pretty good Sportsman race last week. I think there were 17 cars.
The Outlaw Street Stock was a really good race. Dave Davis came from, I think 4th, to take the win with 2 to go. The Sprints put on a good show too.
That’s the kind of racing that’s kept me hooked all my life. Bob…

yankee formula by georgep

i don’t know you i don’t think — but i sure like what you said i relize that there ain’t many cars at race tracks any more and there sure ain’t many people in stands either

but if people had a reason to go they would probably pack the stands most of the people in stands now came with a car or related to a driver back in day people use to come to races for excitement and thrills it could still be that way again .

let each race track worry about there track there cars there fans and don’t worry about a race track a hundred miles away do you think a fan is really going to load up and drive a hundred miles to watch a race if you got just as good a race or better 10 miles from his house and he can be home in 30 minutes after races are over

put on a show have some cars they will come and that other race track guy that is allways putting down other two tracks don’t worry about him he can’t even spell them other tracks … he will hang him self

One of the reasons that the “monte” is so run… Has anyone checked a parts book these days

the primary reason the full frame Monte Carlo gets run is the stretched nose/wheelbase. it results in the #1 spark plug in an SBC 350 being just behind / even with the ball joint when the motor is sitting in the factory engine mounts on the factory frame pads in the factory location.

getting 2" of engine setback from the factory is a tough performance advantage to beat.

[QUOTE=flvideo;23732]Ed, Have you been to CCMP lately? We have had some barn burners there in the last few months. We have had over 100 cars in the pits several times.
We had a pretty good Sportsman race last week. I think there were 17 cars.
The Outlaw Street Stock was a really good race. Dave Davis came from, I think 4th, to take the win with 2 to go. The Sprints put on a good show too.
That’s the kind of racing that’s kept me hooked all my life. Bob…[/QUOTE]

Hey Bob,
I have never been to CCMP but we are planning the 200 mile trip a little later on this summer. We are too busy at work right now to swing it. I look forward to putting a few faces with their names.

Ed

That’s Cool Ed, pick a time when we have Sportsman. Don’t you have a Sportsman race car? The thing I like about ccmp is that there seems to never be any really bad blood. Oh people get upset like they do at every track in the world, but Bobby just seems to have a way working thru those problems. I have never seen Bobby upset at any one, at least he didn’t show it. In all these years I’ve never seen a promoter like Bobby. Let me know when you are coming so I can shake your hand. I am not traveling with all the UDLMCS this year, but I do plan on going to selective races of theirs and I have plans to shoot a few other events this year. Thanks Bob…

Sorry Bob, Coming from 4th to the front with 2 to go is not a barn burner.

He started in the rear but came up to 4th and stayed there for a long time. He didn’t seem to have anything for the top 3 when with 2 laps to go he came alive. The whole night of racing was good, not just that one race. You pays you money to see racin an dats what we saw. And any way if I wana burn the barn from 4th to 1st I can. Obama hasn’t baned that has he? Bob…