East Bay Raceway

Figures can be manipulated by anyone who cares to. i.e. taking the rate for a seasonal dependent county in the off season and comparing it to the rate for the peak season. I’d bet the unemployment rate in Gibsonton goes up when all the traveling carnival people are off in the winter. Maybe not but just speculating. Below I’ve pasted an apples to apples comparison of the rate for 4 states from 2006 to 2010. From Internet128.com The table is hard to read in this format but the Florida rate in 2006 was 3.4% and 2010 is 11.4%.

Unemployment rate in New York, Florida, Texas and California 2006-2010

The combined population of California, Texas, New York and Florida is about 100 million, or one-third of the population of the United States, so the unemployment rate in those states have a substantial impact on the national unemployment rate (currently 9.5%).

The table below shows the unemployment rate for those four states over the past few years (for June of each year, seasonally adjusted).

Unemployment rate in California, Texas, New York and Florida 2006-2010
-----Year-----------California-----Texas-----Florida-----New York
June 2006-----------4.9% ---------5.0% ------3.4% ------4.7%
June 2007-----------5.3% ---------4.3% ------4.0% ------4.5%
June 2008-----------7.0% ---------4.8% ------6.1% ------5.1%
June 2009----------11.6% ---------7.8% -----10.5% ------8.6%
June 2010----------12.3% ---------8.2% -----11.4% ------8.2%

Texas? performance is probably the most impressive given that it has had the fastest population and labor force growth of the four states over the past decade, while New York has had the by far slowest.

Thanks Winger for the stats. The proven stats in black and white. Each year it has gotten worse and worse meaning less disposable income to spend on “fun” things.
Let me know on about this Saturday Calvin. I would love a chance to talk to you in person about all these problems East Bay seems to be having.

mike can i come to the meeting too

[QUOTE=MW68SS;56623]Thanks Winger for the stats. The proven stats in black and white. Each year it has gotten worse and worse meaning less disposable income to spend on “fun” things.
Let me know on about this Saturday Calvin. I would love a chance to talk to you in person about all these problems East Bay seems to be having.[/QUOTE]

mike can i come too i am tired of hearing calvins b/s about eastbay and his openion ron jr

Winger Im not arguning your stats there they are correct. But that is for the entire state of florida. Places like miami gardens and pahokee which are approaching 20% unemployment rate bring that figure way out of wack. My figures are from the counties that I stated earlier, which neighbor east bay. Who are the people who would come to a local saturday night show. Those counties have not had the effect as much as south florida. Believe or not the Haiti earthquake refugees factor in to the unemployment rate. and then in the panhandle the bp oil spill effects residents there. the unemployment added up for i believe it was 5 counties was 7.9% in 2006 and now is 7.7%. But I keep getting flooded with post saying that the place is packed and cars are up so that just supports my point that economy doenst have a great effect on the track as everyone thinks it does.

Al told me that himself the econmoy does effect him as much as rainouts do. Stated from the guys mouth.

MW my boss moved our company christmas party to saturday so I cant be there. Hope to be there for the crate LM show. Buy you a beer and we can chat then.

I think our argument was that East Bay is doing pretty well considering the economy, particularly compared to other tracks. The alleged problems you mentioned earlier are more likely the result of a poor economy rather than the other issues you mention. Unfortunately, I can’t get to a lot of other track any more. However, I thought that East Bay had a pretty decent car count and fan count this past Saturday, particularly compared to the tracks that I regularly attend. You stated the track surface was much better than it has been for several weeks and I’ll grant you that. I thought the track was darn good with maybe a few rough areas in turn one. I thought the dust was non-existent. I see more dust at Citrus than I saw at East Bay Saturday. Your issues with tire prices, payouts, etc. may be legitimate issues, I can’t address that. I can tell you the car and fan count, at the tracks I regularly work at, has decreased. I’m sure they would be pleased to have a fan count, on a regular basis, like East Bay had last week. As for cars/drivers leaving the track to race elsewhere: I can say that happens at every track in the country for one reason or another. I did notice a few cars racing Saturday that use to come to Ocala earlier this year but haven’t been coming lately. So apparently East Bay has done something to keep those cars, the economy has forced them to race one night a week, traveling costs are too high, Ocala has done something to lose them, or a combination of issues may be at fault. I can tell you the economy is an issue to some extent. My business has dropped substantially. I believe all tracks are suffering and the owners are trying to address issues. The good ones are doing it pro-actively by offering more for less, trying to attract and keep their present customers, and trying to ride this economy out. Others are trying to charge more for less, cutting staff, raising prices, charging for more things, restricting carry in items to increase concession sales, etc. I thought East Bay was doing pretty well. BTW, all tracks try to get sponsors to help with expenses. Payouts are an expense. Oh yeah, on rainouts there is no income and still expense to pay so obviously rain outs affect the track more than the economy.

I thought the boneless buffalo wings were pretty good Saturday night. :huepfen024::huepfen024::huepfen024:

I thought the boneless buffalo wings were pretty good Saturday night.

I never got a chance to see them. Never saw you either. I got there a little later than I planned and went right to the infield. My camera died so I left early. Never got a chance to see or talk to anyone other than Mike Horne and the guys that broke on the infield. I might have to go back this week and try some. Was hoping to catch the late models in a few weeks but will be at Citrus.