Major Announcement From Ocala Speedway

At this time I’d like to announce that Bubba Clem aka Bubba The Love Sponge has purchased The Ocala Speedway.

I’m not really sure how to elaborate on my feelings at this point. Nevertheless, the most important thing is a big THANK YOU to our fans, drivers and staff over the years that have helped make The Ocala Speedway a success.

When Angie and I purchased the track my number one goal was to help see the speedway be around another 50 years. The track has never been “listed” for sale, however, I always felt if someone came along that I thought would take the track to another level I would sell it to them, that happened yesterday. Bubba has HUGE plans for the track, fans, staff and drivers.

I wish Bubba more success than I ever had and look forward to watching the oldest track in the state continue to thrive. Thank you again.

Godspeed

Michael Peters

I’ll be the first to say thanks to Mike Peters, in particular for the great SpeedWeeks shows with the sprint cars. I got to stand in victory lane with Amanda Ferguson at Ocala and also witnessed the greatest sprint car race I’ve ever seen earlier this year with USAC, two things I’ll most likely never forget.

I’m very excited to see what Bubba has up his sleeve for Ocala Speedway.

Mr. and Mrs. Peters were fine owners, indeed. I wish them the best. Many an article were written about this fine facility, namely by Stephen Cole Smith, in the Orlando Sentinal, and/or Stock Car Racing Magazine, or it was something else like that…that’s really not right, but I am close somewhat, magazine-wise. Fenton had it posted at one time, years ago.

So now, the track is going back to asphalt? This track is being paved again!

(it’s too late for April Fools day)

Car And Driver Magazine------------------it was, I think.

It was in Car and Driver, AB, in 2009, and thx:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q3/so_you_want_to_own_a_racetrack_-sport

Years ago, I almost voted for Ross Perot, just to watch what would happen if he was elected. Kind of how I feel with Bubba in charge.

Mike & Angie…

Im sure you have your reasons for selling the speedway but just for the record…you will be missed. you are such respectable decent people and Florida short track fans and drivers are so lucky to have been able to share your racing programs.
I wish you both happiness and good health and hope your dreams for your future come true. God bless you and thank you for your kindness to me thru the years. :ernaehrung004:
Carol Wicks aka OZ

Mike and Angie
Thank you for the years you have given the Ocala speedway and its drivers and fans. It was a whopping success. I heard several owners/promoters talk about putting dirt on their asphalt after your success with dirt. When I traveled with the UDLMCS I was impressed with our first show there. I think we had 50 some cars and your stands were packed with standing room only. I wish you and Angie all the luck in the world in what ever endeavor you undertake. Bob…

Mike and Angie…

Congrats!!! You will be missed, you have been GREAT for racing! You have ran a class show and not got all involved in the “other” stuff!

Best of luck to you and best of luck to Ocala as it makes it’s way into the future!

thats awsome!!!
mike and angie!!! only seen ya’ll twice when we came, but great job!!!
with bubba’s go big or go home strategy, this should a big success!!!
i can only imagine where this will lead!!!
good luck all!!!

I am hoping for two things:

First that Mike stays involved in our sport somehow. He and Angie have been an asset to Florida racing, so I thank them and look forward to their future endeavours.

Second, I hope that Bubba’s organization knocks the ball out of the park. Ideally, I’d love to see his team of entertainment pros pump that track full of life, interest and excitement in the way that only a team of outsiders can. Florida racing really needs a shake-up, and maybe an extremely successful Ocala would get some of the other track operators away from the status quo.

I gotta admit that his radio show is not my style, but that is beside the point. He makes his living being exciting, entertaining and outrageous, all the things that our sport needs so badly. I’ve often hoped for someone new to get involved locally, and hopefully kick things into high gear.

Something about Bubba Raceway Park that appeals to me…

Heard on the show this morning that turn four was going to be an all you can drink section complete with wristbands, etc. That could get ugly quick…

Nothing like the spectacle of someone with more money than sense doing some things that haven’t been tried before. I am confident that will be the case.

Kinda like watching your local redneckian hook one end of a chain up to the back of his truck and the other end to a pine tree convinced he is gonna pull her down…Somethings gonna happen - not sure what, but it will be fun to watch.

i can’t understand

with all of the failing tracks in fl dirt & asphalt with no car counts & no fans why would you buy a track that is still consistant in these hard times? i’m not
upset but if he wanted to help racing so bad why dident bubba buy a track that really needs help? desoto,citrus,columbia,bronson which was for sale & vacant for over a year,putnam & there are probably more i missed. like i said i’m not mad just dissapointed:smilie_abcfra:

Citrus needs help? Didnt realize that…hmm highest car counts in the state…what more do ya want?

[QUOTE=gator81;70770]with all of the failing tracks in fl dirt & asphalt with no car counts & no fans why would you buy a track that is still consistant in these hard times? i’m not
upset but if he wanted to help racing so bad why dident bubba buy a track that really needs help? desoto,citrus,columbia,bronson which was for sale & vacant for over a year,putnam & there are probably more i missed. like i said i’m not mad just dissapointed:smilie_abcfra:[/QUOTE]

He admits he bought this as an investment. If I’m going to invest, I want to invest in something decent with a decent reputation and then grow it. As for why he didn’t buy the any of the others, only he can answer that. However, I wouldn’t be at all surprised that at least one of these tracks was considered and may have even had an offer made. Looking at the tracks you’ve mentioned, as Doug states, Citrus is probably the most successful asphalt track in the state. Sure it could use help but it’s also owned by the county and isn’t for sale to the best of my knowledge. Bronson was recently purchased and will be opening soon. Putnam is open and running and actually has been receiving some pretty positive comments lately. I haven’t heard that Columbia is for sale as it’s owned by FASCAR but I agree it may need some help. That leaves Desoto which has a pretty huge price tag on it compared to what other tracks have been selling for lately. If I was in his shoes and looking to get into the racing business as an INVESTMENT, I would take the best deal out there. That’s apparently Ocala.

well guys i’ve been a part of citrus since 98 i feel like it needs help in other areas not car count. i know that none of the other tracks i mentioned were for sale but neither was ocala & peters sold out. at the end of the day i’m just glad somebody who wants to keep a track open with some $$ & marketing ability got it & not somebody who thinks it would be cool to buy a track & in a year it will close. see ya saturday