Mini Stocks at NSS?

Do you think they should rename the mini stocks at NSS to mod mini’s and add a real mini stock class like a few other tracks have? I think they would have a good car count using very limited chassis,body, an engine mods so u dont have to build a 12k to 16k car to race in a 4cyl class there…

Mini stocks are sick and I believe it is because of the engines. I really like the construction of the cars. The modern minis are tube frame, purpose built racecars. They are much easier to work on, repair and adjust than old rusty unibody stuff from the junkyard. The cars are not the problem, but the fact that we are running high compression, high RPM antique engines is where the expense comes in.

I have good engines built. They are usually in the $5000 range. Some racers can get by with less money, but others spend twice as much. The life is limited too. To stay competitive, they need rebuilding after 500 laps or so. A rebuild is usually around $1000, so that puts the engine bill for a competitive mini stock at $2 a lap!

That makes a crate V8 sound very appealing doesn’t it?

At the last rules meeting, I suggested going to more modern engines, (with EFI, dual cam, multi valves, etc…) and even 6 cylinders. In their stock form, most of these engines make good power and cost much less. Anything to get away from the antique Fords that most of us use would be an improvement. The other car owners looked at me like I was from Mars, and it was discussed no further. By the way, most of those owners have dropped out of the class since that time.

Well aren’t the mini stocks just glorified bandeleros any ways?

LOL !!! it wasnt Mars , it was Uranus .

I agree 100% Ive have 3 cars that would be ready with ease if they were to go by rules like a dale or citrus, The minis have got way outta control…probly not fixable thank to the Florida Mini Stock Challenge. I perfer to do like some other tracks and run stock body stock and complete firewall and floorpan

If anyone knows me i raced the white #9 thunderbird some years back an it had a stock chassis besides front being tubed.It had stock 4 link stock struts and shocks. I built my own engines an maybe had 5k in it all together and won against the big dollar cars.What im looking at is car count an in order to get 4cyl cars back at NSS i think they need look at the other tracks that have 15 to 20 cars in mini stocks that cost a lot less.If i raced there again i would want to race with all the cars instead of two big dollar cars…

“Mini” stocks didn’t evolve from “Mini” stocks to what they are today on their own. Who did it and who let it happen? So now they’re called “mod minis”. Does that make any more sence or any more affordable? I mean $20,000 to build a “Mini” or “mod mini” or whatever you want to call it. Also seems to me the popularity of “Mini” stocks started droping when they stoped running them in speed weeks, people lost interest in them. Its too bad, they used to put on a great show, and were affordable.

I agree with Hired Gun when the Mini Stock Challenge was formed NSS changed there mini stock rules as other tracks did to meet there rules an sense that series has dismantled NSS still calls there 4cyl class mini stocks when there actually mod mini’s now.You couldnt take a mini stock from Citrus or Adale an compete with the NSS mini’s.Thats why i think they need to do as the other tracks and keep the mod mini’s but give back the mini stocks…

Agreed mini stocks and mod minis two different classes, i love for someone to fix this because a dale is such a far drive for me :slight_smile:

a new affordable class would be a great idea . and cheaper than asking existing mod-minis to spend more money changing engines and all that goes with the change . not to mention the chaos in tech with fuel injection and computers . and as far as popularity goes , thats only an issue over there on the east coast . punta gorda , citrus , auburndale and most dirt tracks have 15 to 20 mod-minis each race . same for all classes . well over 20 modifieds at citrus two weeks ago . and if you look around , a front running mod-mini can be bought race ready for around $6000 , not $ 20,000 ! and havent i read on here that the other fascar track lake city runs a hornet class ? there you go !

x2 I liked racing there an still would plus wasnt to bad of a drive from Apopka but the problem is you know there set on there ways and are not going to change anything even though another class means more people to pay the high priced entrance fee…

You can buy a mod mini for that price and when the engine blows look at what your going to spend on rebuilding even if you do it yourself believe me ive been building an racing these things for years an know what it takes. Just look NSS has a modified class and an e mod class now why would they have two modified classes and two late model classes an so on an so on…

Things are a lot different at NSS. Why would they run e mods and big mods the same night? Lots more diff. Between the 2 than just the carb.

I just think the mini stocks there suck bad. If you’ve ever gone out an watched them like(fans) do there’s really two races going on.You have the same 2 maybe 3 cars winning all the time an the other cars having there own race.Now if you had a more affordable mini stock as to why they have mods and e mods they’ed have more than just pete and repete winning all of the them.There would be more racing action for us to have an for the (fans) to see…If i raced there again i would like to(have fun and give the fans a show) and race against more than just 1 car all the time…

They should do another class just for “mini stocks”. The Modified Mini Stocks today are basically a late model with a 4cyl, the cost to run up front and compete are crazy. A GOOD motor will run you 8-10k by the time you put everything on it carb to oil pan. Rex is dead on with his costs. We did the math and if we didnt have the sponsors we do it would cost us around $2.15 a lap. A stock mini class would be a good thing over there.

There is a lot of things right with the mod mini class, but it is the expensive engines that are driving so many out. I really think it is an excellent class to learn the science of handling, and most importantly, to become a lead foot. You have to learn to put your foot down in the middle of the corner (or even earlier), and your car has to handle under aggressive use like that.

Last fall I had little Pontiac for Crash A Rama. It had a quad 4 engine, and I was amazed at the power that stock motor put out. Although it was a drag to crush it, I had no use for it. Too bad we are not running more modern, readily available engines.

SCCA runs several classes of 4 cylinders with EFI, multi-cam, multi-valve engines. Why can’t we start evolving that way?

If they had both mini classes i think they would pull in drivers from other tracks as well.Im sure there’s a few teams out there that want to race 4cyl mini’s at NSS but they have the" old school "mini stock or there not going spend what it takes to buy or build the now so called mod mini’s to race there…

Your right Boneman you have to have that lead foot.Like i said before if you know me or raced against me i had a 90% stock chassis thunderbird with half the engine the big dollar teams had an still won.Problem is there are new or other teams that want to race at NSS but once they find the price tag on a full tube jig built 4cyl with that 5k to 8k engine they turn there heads.Thats just crazy for a 4cyl isnt it…The deal with the imports with computers an fuel injection is if you know nothing about electronics there goes the expense issue again…

If they started a STOCK 4cyl. bomber class they would get the cars.Keep em stock and treat them right and they would show…

your right, Like I said I have two “OLD SCHOOL” minis that are 95% race ready 1 that is Half way done. It would be nice if NSS or OSW had a seperate class Mini stock and the Mod Minis