Some Old Phil Orr Pictures

We lost Phil Orr around a year ago… one of the top guys here in Central FL for a buncha years… His daughter Marilyn was here last week with loads of old photos and clippings… Will share a few…

1. This photo taken at either Orlando Raceway or Sunbrock Speedway in 1956 (L-R) Emil Reutimann, Phil Orr, Bunny Joslin, George “Crash” Tidd, Dave McInnis and Bobby Dawson… Of the five drivers, only Dawson is still alive but not doing too well from what Marilyn says…
  2. Phil with the Gary’s Duck Inn Special at Orlando… Probably 1957-58…
  3. Phil with a Sportsman win at Sunbrock in June of 1956…
  4. Phil with the LM he drove around 1964… One of his worst moments took place with this car… The throttle stuck going into turn one at Eau Gallie and he flew into the pit area and hit a trailer several people were standing on… I was there that night… I think 2 or 3 of them had to go to the hospital and the whole thing shook Phil up pretty bad…
  5. The Pontiac LM he drove in 1965…

1956.jpg

Gary_s Duck Inn .jpg

Sunbrock 1956 .jpg

Phil Orr 1964 _.jpg

Pontiac LM of Phil Orr in 1965 .jpg

Neat stuff Dave. I liked watching Phil in the mid 1990’s driving minis at Volusia. I don’t know his age then, but he was still very competitive.

From his VCS days… 1994…

A Mini-Stock feature win for Phil Orr.jpg

One of only 3 drivers that I’ve seen race, that also raced on the beach at Daytona. Dutch Hoag and Frankie Schneider are the others. Also met Bill Wimble and Jack Choquette, who also ran the beach, but never seen them race.

Either way, he’s in pretty good company there.

PS - Dave… any way of finding complete finishing orders from the Modified-Sportsman beach races? My book has a few years worth, but missing several years I believe.

Go to ultimateracinghistory.com… They have all the results that I also have available to me in the Archives from 1948-58…

Thanks for the tip Dave. After just a little browsing, I was able to add some cool names to who I have seen race: Wendell Scott, Buck Baker, Hooker Hood, Freddie Fryar, Whip Mulligan, and Herbie Tillman. Also saw famous LM car owner, Marty Handshaw in there with his trademark 237.

Some more photos of Phil…

1. With flagman Stan Kross at Eau Gallie
  2. 1952 at Rocket Speedway aka Sunbrock Speedway
  3. Late 60s at Orlando in the Brevard Machine Special
  4. Mid-Late 50s at Orlando in the King Motors car
  5. Phil raced this car from around 1965-67

1952 - Phil Orr after a win at Orlando_s Rocket Speedway .jpg

Phil Orr in the Brevard Machine Modified 1968-69.jpg

Phil Orr with his car owner.jpg

[QUOTE=ancrdave;103167]Some more photos of Phil…

1. With flagman Stan Kross at Eau Gallie
  2. 1952 at Rocket Speedway aka Sunbrock Speedway
  3. Late 60s at Orlando in the Brevard Machine Special
  4. Mid-Late 50s at Orlando in the King Motors car
  5. Phil raced this car from around 1965-67[/QUOTE]

Appreciate you giving this board some life. While you are looking through the archives you might look for a picture of Stan Kross from the 1954 beach race he finished 10th. There is an old wire service photo showing the back of his car exiting the north turn back on to A1A. I wonder how many federal highways have served as part of a racetrack . Big Bill had pull from early on.

Phil showed me how to build my first 2.0 ford engine at 16 when i started racing Volusia in 94…He was 68-69 at that time…Great man…