Interesting Auburndale News

From Speed51.com:

Pro All Stars Series (PASS) President Tom Mayberry announced today that North America?s top Super Late Models will kick off the 2013 PASS National Series at Auburndale Speedway in Florida. The Inaugural Florida Winter Meltdown scheduled for February 9, 2013 will be a 200 lap PASS National points race, paying $6,000 to the winner. It will mark the first ever trip for the PASS Super Late Models to the tight quarter-mile oval located in Winter Haven.

?I can?t think of a better way to start 2013 than in Florida at Auburndale,? said PASS President Tom Mayberry. ?The weather should be really nice in February and I know our PASS North competitors in New England and Canada, along with our PASS South competitors in the Southeast are excited to get the season started with the Florida Winter Meltdown. Super Late Model racing has a great heritage in Florida and we?re really looking forward to a great battle between the Sunshine State?s best racers and the PASS regulars.?

Auburndale Speedway owner Rex Guy has been at the forefront in helping to get the PASS Super Late Models back to Florida. Guy is excited to bring major Super Late Model racing back to his home state.

?I think it?s the greatest thing that ever hit the state of Florida,? said an enthusiastic Guy. ?We?re tickled to have PASS at Auburndale. ?I think it?s great for the area and I think it will be great for the local businesses to have drivers and fans from all over the United States in town for this race. After talking to several racers in the area, there is definitely a lot of interest in the Florida Winter Meltdown.?

In addition to the PASS Super Late Models, the Open Wheel Modifieds, Legends, Bandoleros, and the always exciting Figure 8?s will be in action as part of the Inaugural Florida Winter Meltdown. There will be on optional practice day for all divisions on Friday, February 8th. Practice, qualifying, and a full slate of main events for the Inaugural Florida Winter Meltdown will be on Saturday, February 9th, with a rain date set for Sunday, February 10th. The full schedule and purses for all divisions will released soon. And, there will also be an additional incentive for the PASS Super Late Model winner of the Florida Winter Meltdown to be announced in the coming weeks.

If I’m not mistaken Dave (I know you didn’t write this) I’m pretty sure it was called the “Meltdown” when they ran at New Smyrna in 2010 so I don’t if that would still be “Inaugural” or how any of that even works.

I will say if you’ve never seen guys like Ben Rowe or Johnny Clark race then don’t miss this race! They are a lot of fun to watch wheel race cars! Auburndale is very similar to the tracks that they race in up North. The only thing up there that compares to NSS would Thompson (CT) although it’s a full 5/8 it is eerily similar to NSS.

Should be a good show over there!

Just 6 days before the World Series at New Smyrna. Should be a win-win for both tracks. I can’t see guys towing all the way down from “Up North” and just running the one race. Would think a lot of them would hang around a few days and run some of the Super Late Model races at NSS. If you were planning on running a SLM at the World Series anyway, why not show up a few days early and go for the $6k? It’s going to be a GREAT Speedweeks next year. The Florida Winter Meltdown, The World Series and the Battle at the Beach. Super Late Models, Tour Modifieds, K&N Pro Series and NASCAR Late Models. Man, I can’t wait! Just wish someone somewhere would have a big Sportsman race for us somewhere during Speedweeks. Oh well, guess I’m just gonna have to enjoy watching.

Is that PASS North, South, or a combination race?

Either way, I WILL be there…! The PASS race they had at New Smyrna was excellent. If I recall, there was something like 9 different cars that led that race. Ultra competitive.

PS - That PASS race did almost nothing to help car count at the World Series. I think the only Northern car that stayed was Lonnie Summerville. The rest went back home and didn’t stay the extra week.

I could be wrong, but I believe the PASS North cars are a late model stock, perimeter chassis, and would not be able to run together with our SLM’s. I’m not sure if PASS south is the same deal but I’m pretty sure the pass north cars are.

“The Inaugural Florida Winter Meltdown scheduled for February 9, 2013 will be a 200 lap PASS National points race, paying $6,000 to the winner.”

Sounds like it will be a combination race. PASS North and South cars are the same and run a few combination races a year. They are pretty much the same as a FL SLM. NASCAR Late Models that run in NC, SC and VA are perimeter cars.

[QUOTE=scottgarrity07;112638]“The Inaugural Florida Winter Meltdown scheduled for February 9, 2013 will be a 200 lap PASS National points race, paying $6,000 to the winner.”

Sounds like it will be a combination race. PASS North and South cars are the same and run a few combination races a year. They are pretty much the same as a FL SLM. NASCAR Late Models that run in NC, SC and VA are perimeter cars.[/QUOTE]

I read this at the top of the rules for PASS North and assumed this meant they all had to be perimeter chassis’.

10.4 Car Weights
All cars weights listed are race ready with driver, full of fuel, oil and water before race.
Maximum left side weight percentage for ALL cars will be 57% before, during and after event with NO allowances in any form.
All weights are based of ABC body and perimeter chassis.

But down below at the bottom under the chassis rules it talks about perimeter and straight rail chassis, so can you run either?

10.21.1 Center Section Components
a. Main frame rail structure of chassis, defined as the primary structure to which roll cage members, major suspension components, engine, etc., mount to, must be constructed of a mild steel shape having a minimum perimeter dimension of 10 inches. Examples: 2 x 3, 2 1⁄2 x 2 1⁄2 , etc. Main frame rail members should be a minimum of:
 10 inch perimeter tubing: 0.120 inch wall thickness
 12 inch perimeter tubing: 0.095 inch wall thickness
 16 inch perimeter tubing: 0.083 inch wall thickness
b. Main frame rail members shall be constructed so that the side rails are located within the normal tread width of
the car. Right side main frame rail may be of perimeter or straight rail design.
c. A perimeter frame chassis is defined as having left and right frame rails symmetrical (maximum 1 inch tolerance). Frame rails must measure a minimum of 50 1⁄2 inches and a maximum of 60 inches from outside to outside and must be a minimum of 44 inches in length.
d. The left main frame rail on a straight rail chassis must measure 10 inches minimum from the left front frame rail. g. When using an under-slung front snout on a straight rail chassis, the right main frame rail must be outside of the
right front frame rail. They must not be in a straight line.

I also read on speed51 last week that a perimeter car dominated a pass south race over the straight rail cars, maybe I’m thinking of something else. I’m not too good at understand the chassis rules, maybe someone can clarify what all that means. Can you run either?

Pass north and south run the same rules. We ran some pass south races and the only difference was had to weigh 2800 instead 2750 with our spec motor. No chip rule though. That was nice and the body rules are way more relaxed. And they run f45 right side tire and 3035 left side tire