Governor's Cup vs. "Florida State Championship"

Saw this on Showtime’s page, and thought this was really kind of “ballsy”.

Correct me if I’m wrong, please…and I’ll apologize…BUT…isn’t the Governor’s Cup - presented to the winner of the Florida 200 every year since 1965 (and the Florida State Championship since 1964) - the same thing as the “Florida State Championship for (Super) Late Models”?

I’m just confused as to how one track - that’s hosted the Governor’s Cup (which is also the Florida State Championship, or so I thought) since 1988 - will allow another competing track across the state to use the moniker of “Florida State Championship” for the same type of race cars.

Now, I also know that years ago, there was a “South Florida State Championship” for a number of years at Hialeah (although, I never understood that one, either…LOL…well, I guess since about the late '70s, “south Florida” could be considered a “state”…LMAO).

But, in this particular case, and it’s just my opinion (that some will say sucks), it’s really kind of…disrespectful, I guess, to use that title that New Smyrna’s had for 26 years.

In this day and age, when tracks should be working together to try and get fans to the tracks…why not a double-header weekend? Friday at Sunshine, Saturday at New Smyrna? Or, better yet, why not bring back a Triple Crown weekend at St. Pete, Orlando, and New Smyrna? “Too much money to travel” for the teams with the four-car toter homes?? :confused:

It was the gulf coast classic 100. then we went to desoto for the coca cola 200.
I had the tripple crown name for years but the gov cup was frank dearys and when sunshine closrd he moved it to NSS.
It would be bad to muddy the name of that race.
Would be like 2 snow balls .

don62

Don, yeah, I knew the Gulf Coast Classic was at Sunshine, and used to run the night before the 200 at Tampa on Sunday. Cars would practice at Tampa Friday night, qualify/time trial Saturday afternoon at Tampa, load up and head across the Howard Franklin to St. Pete for the Gulf Coast Classic 100/125; then head back to Tampa Sunday for heat races and the 200.

In '81 when you got Tampa, the 200 was run on Friday night; the Gulf Coast Saturday; and then the Coca Cola 200 at Bradenton on Sunday. After Tampa closed again in '83, in '84 it was Friday at Bradenton, Saturday at St. Pete, and back to Bradenton on Sunday.

My original post was just wondering, why Yoho would call his race the “Florida State Championship”, when, in fact, since 1965, the Governor’s Cup race has been “The Florida 200 Late Model State Championship”.

Even the “Governors Cup” name isn’t sacred… Volusia ran a Governors Cup race on dirt several years ago. Don’t recall how long it lasted, but I know for a fact that Buck Simmons won one of them.

Also, Bubba’s already had a Florida State Late Model Championship this year, also on dirt.

Well…I can understand having a “State Championship” for both dirt and asphalt; even a Governor’s Cup. Totally different types of race cars. But - to advertise a race, on the same type of surface - asphalt - for the same type of cars - Super Late Models - as a “State Championship”, when you know that the REAL State Championship race is being held across the state…

The whole state championship thing sounds bogus to me. If some guy comes to Florida from another state, only races this so called state championship race and wins, is he the Florida State Champion ?

I would like to see a few qualifying races at different tracks and a real Florida State Champion crowned. Scratch that, it would require the same track rules and tracks working together. I’m suffering from a concussion, I’m depressed, and I can’t have what I want. Please feel sorry for me. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=UREZ2PASS;114708]The whole state championship thing sounds bogus to me. If some guy comes to Florida from another state, only races this so called state championship race and wins, is he the Florida State Champion ?

I would like to see a few qualifying races at different tracks and a real Florida State Champion crowned. Scratch that, it would require the same track rules and tracks working together. I’m suffering from a concussion, I’m depressed, and I can’t have what I want. Please feel sorry for me. :)[/QUOTE]

I have been fealing sorry for u for a long time …

[QUOTE=Don Nerone;114710]I have been fealing sorry for u for a long time …

62[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your sympathy. You are a caring man that has always put the racer first and your profit last. Best promoter ever. See you at NSS. Get it ?

[QUOTE=UREZ2PASS;114708]The whole state championship thing sounds bogus to me. If some guy comes to Florida from another state, only races this so called state championship race and wins, is he the Florida State Champion ? [/QUOTE]That’s correct. Several out-of-state drivers have claimed the “State Champion” title over the years. Freddy Fryar was the first in 1964. Then, it took another five years for Don Gregory out of Ohio to win the 200 at Tampa. In '72, Ed Howe won it, then became the first “three-in-a-row” winner from '74-'76, and also the first four-time winner. Trickle won it in '78. Mike Eddy won it in '81. Then it took another thirty years for the next out-of-towner to win it - Erik Jones out of Michigan in 2011.

So, yes, “out-of-state” drivers can become the “Florida State Champion”.

[QUOTE=Don Nerone;114710]I have been fealing sorry for u for a long time …

62[/QUOTE]

Maybe he and Nadeau can field a team and call their trophy what ever they want. We all know what Frank Derry intended and the trophy meant. Thats why Hayden Burns approved it and it was dedicated to Al Keller. All this other stuff is somones idea of PR for their show.

That makes no sense at all, I’m dumb, help me understand your jab. :slight_smile:

Well thanks there bud !! I didnt know u cared.
I took all that money and got a casile here in dixie.
And i hope to see u at the track also…?? see who?? get it
Don62

[QUOTE=Don Nerone;114797]Well thanks there bud !! I didnt know u cared.
I took all that money and got a casile here in dixie.
And i hope to see u at the track also…?? see who?? get it
Don62[/QUOTE]

Good one Don ! Even I can’t deny you a job well done on that one. :slight_smile: