45th Annual Snowball Derby Finishing Results

How do you decide

How do you decide where to make the cutoff rule between the “pros” and the “amateurs” Nationwide drivers ok how about the trucks or arca but the world of outlaw drivers make their living driving race cars hell most of the guys racing super late models make their living doing something in racing. Well I guess they all are pros of some sort how many races can you run in a year and be considered a hobbyist NO ONE CAN ANSWER THAT QUESTION so you have to let everyone that wants to race and if you can’t win you ain’t good enough.

[QUOTE=Frasson118;116417]Just to make a distinction here, there is a difference in ‘bringing the stars’ out to your track (which is a paid appearance to show up), and this race. The Derby doesn’t (to my knowledge), pay ANYONE to show up. The Cup drivers that come, know that they are just any other racer at these shows. They aren’t stars, they aren’t paid to be there… they come because it’s an awesome & prestigious race to win.

Using David Ragan as an example, if he were to win the Derby, THAT fame would last far longer than anyone remembering he won at Daytona in a Cup car.

It’s a race that ANY self-respecting racer would cherish in his career. It… is… HUGE in the racing world.[/QUOTE]…which was exactly my point :slight_smile:

When Allison, Waltrip, and them guys came to town, they knew they had beat guys like Sanders, Niedecken, Mader…they didn’t get “paid” to show up. :wink:

Just a bit of history was made with Jones’ victory, also.

He has become the seventh driver to win both the Snowball Derby and the Florida Governor’s Cup.

The other six drivers? Two other Michigan hot shoes, Ed Howe ('72 Derby, '72, '74-'76 Governor’s Cup) and Butch Miller ('85 Governor’s Cup and ‘87 Derby); Texas’ Freddy Fryar ('64 Florida State Championship, '79 Derby); and Florida’s Gary “Hot Shoe” Balough ('68 Governor’s Cup, '86 Derby), Wayne Anderson ('01 Derby, '99, '03, and '08 Governor’s Cup) and Bobby Gill ('90-'92 Governor’s Cup, '93, '97 Derby). Maybe you’ve heard of 'em :wink:

Quite a list to join for the kid!

And to add a few more things to my earlier comment that I thought of during my drive back home today, this race is one of the few races that they can shake down their own car and team to make sure it is what they want before they put someone else in either as a rental situation or a development deal. And sure there are plenty of locals that want to make the race but take the Cup guys out and there were big names that still didn’t make it in. Also those fans that were booing Busch rather loudly would not have missed the chance to do just that, and maybe would not have shown up to cheer a Steve Dorer, etc.
Last but not least, where do you cut it off, remember our own David Rogers ran a lot of big time NASCAR races in his day. If you start cutting out NASCAR drivers from the big three divisions you take out Johanna Long and a lot of others… Just sayin!!!
Have fun everyone.

snowball

it is great to have kyle bush in the show… it is a perfect way for the young guns to get exsperience against the best…it willl help them get more sponsors
in the future…
i think next year augie grill will be driving his own machines, 2 mechanical failures in both races…
Nascar should learn from this and have more 1/2 tracks… they will fill the seats everytime

[QUOTE=bigfoor;116464]it is great to have kyle bush in the show… it is a perfect way for the young guns to get exsperience against the best…it willl help them get more sponsors
in the future…
i think next year augie grill will be driving his own machines, 2 mechanical failures in both races…
Nascar should learn from this and have more 1/2 tracks… they will fill the seats everytime[/QUOTE]

Nascar has no problem with 1/2 mile tracks. They have a problem with the seating capacity.

There are actually 8 drivers that have won both the Derby and Governors Cup as two-time Derby winner Augie Grill took the Cup this year. Talk about an elite list of “the best” at Super Late Models. And believe me the addition of Grill and Jones to that list, along with the amount of talk circulating about the Gov Cup all over Pensacola last week, should certainly show up as the 2013 Cup gets closer.

Side note to Kyle, I am certainly not a fan and the incident with TJ was quite nauseating, but I do have to give him credit for running Jones clean, extremely hard, but clean, in that last green flag run to the checkers.