Florida Speedweeks Modified Reunion 2013

Grand Island NY’s Jim McGraw is coming. Here are both his Pinto Mod, and a Ford LM. Always loved the bright colors… which aren’t as visible here. In person, you could TELL where Jim was on the track.

Jim49.jpeg

Jim49-2.jpeg

Vintage racer Richard Pastor comes all the way in from Maryland.

Also coming is the “tied-for King” of Florida racing history, Marty Little… (with Dave Westerman) who I have a ton of respect for. One of the coolest interviews I did, was asking Marty how he could write a play-by-play story, about a track he wasn’t within 200 miles at the time… Takes talent & knowledge to make you feel like YOU were there, when even HE wasn’t there…! Marty, you’re one of the guys I really look up to.

Alongside him… another Hall of Famer, Joe Winchell. Joe had BETTER show up this time, or I’m gonna have to renege on a long-standing bet… IF he comes to my reunions… I don’t agree with ANYTHING that a certain person has to say… Joe, the balls in YOUR court…!!!

Sorry to most… an inside joke here…

Dave Jarrett has both a Vintage Mod, and a Vintage Sprint. His son Kelly has won in both Mini-Stocks, and Modifieds, and now 3rd generation Matt Jarrett is wheeling a Mod & a Super Stock. Got his first Mod win at OSW a few months ago.

Mark May in a very cool Dodge Challenger.

Terry St. Amand, and brother Bob, were long time racers at Ransomville (NY) and Merritville (Ont) Speedways for several years. This is a cool shot of an old early 60’s ("64?) Chevy Late Model that Terry drove

terrystamand1970.jpg

Ronnie Dunstan has driven a bunch of different rides over the years. Mod’s, Late Models, Legends, Sprints and USAC Silver Crown cars (and probably more).

Geoff Yoder even owns a Mod that Ronnie was SUPPOSED to drive, but some rules changed, the original owner parked it, and it has never run a competetive lap. It’s a gorgeous Falcon bodied car… Geoff owns it now, but Ronnie hasn’t seen it in years. His name is on the roof, but never got to drive it.

RDunstan.jpg

dunstan2Aebay.jpg

Dave Kelly, from Mackungie PA, was just getting REAL good at Mods, and won the final feature EVER at the famous reading Fairgrounds. When it closed, he went Sprint car racing with the URC club. He turned the record books upside down, and is still one of, if not THE leader in all-time wins.

Dave Dion was never really a Modified racer, although I’m betting he has at least a few times… BUT, Dave is a Legend up North just the same. He’s run Fords almost exclusively all his career, does it all with a low budget and several brothers making up the team, and Berlin City Ford who has been on the side of most of Dions cars, through several hundred wins. He’s even been in a few Nascar races many years ago.

Dave is also on this years organizing commitee, though I still haven’t met him personally.

For me, this is one I’m really looking forward to… there’s been very few racers that are “bucket list” racers that I never got to see race. When Dave retired, I figured that chance wouldn’t come. Little did I know that I now get to MEET him…!

Dion-Color-1.jpg

Dionnewer.jpeg

Ernie Saxton has been a loooooong time fixture in PA. He announces weekly at Grandview Speedway, writes a weekly column in Area Auto Racing News, and I believe helped organize the now legendary Freedom 76 at grandview. It’s THE most prestigious race for 358 Modifieds in PA.

Saxton2.jpg

Latest Vintage entry is Danny Casteel. He came a few years ago, and he brings a pretty damn cool looking car with him.

While I have the highest respect for people supporting reunions and vintage events, I have a problem with the above vehicle being portayed as a true vintage. The reality is that it a spec car much like the legends and numerous tracks still have the class today Southern Raceway in Milton Fl, being one. I do not wish to see people thinking that these cars represent the way it was done in the good old days. Their front end is late model Chevy and the bodies are fiberglass. Yes they keep the past alive but they never were a part of it.

Definitely not one of the older guys, but Woody Pitkat has been getting the job done over the last several years. He will be at the Reunion AND in the Richie Evans 100 later that night.

WPitkat.jpg

[SIZE=“4”][QUOTE=Frasson118;118276]Another guy that is helping out in a big way this year, is JT Dunn shown here in a cool Vega bodied mod. Wish I could’ve found a full-frame shot of this car.[/QUOTE]

Jerry ? A few shots I took of JT?s Vega at another venue in 2011.

Needless to say a very cool piece.

[/SIZE]

Jim… are you coming this year? Would love to add a pic or 2 of you in here.

I remember that last picture. Blast from the past at Lake City Speedway. You can see people looking at whats left of the Sportsman in the background. Right front wheel hub broke and sent me into the turn one wall… and then the turn two inside wall… :frowning:
-JIM-

[SIZE=“4”][QUOTE=Frasson118;118573]Jim… are you coming this year? Would love to add a pic or 2 of you in here.[/QUOTE]

Yes sir! If the good Lord?s willing and the creek don?t rise I?ll be there!

Thanks!

Sorry Jerry. It irritates me when folks hijack someone?s thread and I?m not trying to do that here but I thought I?d post a shot of the boo-boo on Geeum?s Sportsman car that day he mentioned above.

As evidenced by the trailer tire lying in the lower right corner of the frame, Jim?s bad day started even before he arrived at the race track.

[/SIZE]

Gil Hearne has a strong Florida connection. He raced at Hialeah and many other South Florida tracks before moving up north, and dominating Wall Stadium in NJ.

Here is a Haileah car (photo by Marty Little, stolen from Dave Westermans site), and his mid-70’s rig with owner Tom Durkin. Thats still a great looking tow rig.

Our very own Jim Fenton. I can’t count how many cars Jim raced over the years, and most shots I’ve seen, Jim is holding the checkered flag in the pic. These are 2 of my personal favorites.

Jim Fenton.jpg

Jamie Wright ran Modifieds in Upstate NY. This is the only pic I could find, but it’s a good one… Jamie is the middle of the sandwich between great racers, Kenny Tremont and CD Coville.