Florida Speedweeks Modified Reunion 2013

Ray Miller from CT. has been at his sport for a long time… his father used to own ARDC Midgets in the 40’s-50’s that raced sometimes 7 nights a week throughout New England.

When Ray got behind the wheel, this 401 Coach was his first ride.

Here he is in a Coupe

Ray had different paint schemes on a regular basis, but I really like the Black & Gold Vega.

The “Ski Brothers”, Al Jurkowski & John Fodrowski will be bringing this Cotton Owens original. I think they have been at all previous reunions (except maybe the rain-delayed year).

Richie Iverson has this Coupe, and also a Sedan bodied Modified. He will be bringing the Sedan, but I couldn’t find a picture of it… will keep looking.

RIverson.jpg

No idea who this even is… just thought it was a cool ride, and I’ve always loved a ramp-truck to haul a race car with.

SweetCoupe.jpg

Frasson, who is that in the middle? i’ve seen this pic someplace else.

Forgot to ask…

Who owns that 64 car???

Jerry Dostie ran everything from Daytona High banks, to the bullrings of CT. Even saw him run Legends cars at Daytona Municipal Stadium, against guys like Tony George ( from Indy), Jim France, (from Nascar), and Scott Russell, a multiple winner of the Daytona 200 for Bikes.

My one, and only time I’d seen Jerry race (in a Mod), was at Trenton, 1974… the 'Crown 7", was a great looking car, but this pic doesn’t do justice. It was much more dolled up for the big races

JDsotie909.jpg

JDosie7.jpg

Bill Wimble is a guy that I never got to see race… yet, he is an ABSOLUTE Legend in the Northeast. As for the Reunions, Bill has been in since day 1, and I couldn’t be happier for it. Bill has done everything, from the sands of the Beach, to the high Banks on the other side of town, and every track in between… the man drove, and WON in most everything he tried.

Here is an ‘early’, a "most famous look’, and one of his attempts at Daytona.

Wimble Young.jpeg

BillWimble33-600x428.jpg

BillWimbleDaytona-600x473.jpg

Bill Wimble at Daytona - NASCAR Modified/Sportsman race 1960…

BW1.jpg

BW2.jpg

Dave, Wish DARRA would have not told Dave Ordos not to come back. Each car he has is Period correct unlike some of the others I have seen (OWM with I believe a coupe body on it, purpose built cars that back in their days didn’t have coil overs on them let alone be built out of 2X3 rectangular tubing and 3/4 in. round, a tri-y Chevy on a super stock chassis and so on). The last 2 he brought down actually have documented history. All he wanted to do is have some fun and visit with some Orlando friends.

This one is kinda cool… Bugs Stevens (aka Carl Berghman) is coming again. from what i hear…

Pic 1 is bugs in the Sonny Kosczela (sp) 15. Sonny’s daughter is Julie Stefanik… Mike Stefaniks wife… he will also be at Speedweeks.

Pic 2 shows bugsy behind the wheel of Joe Brady’s 00… Joe will ALSO be at Speedweeks (and Reunion), with Ted Christopher at the wheel.

Pic 3, is Bugs at Daytona ( I think), with the Len Boehler 33. Len was famous for the “Old Blue 3’s”… always ugly, always blue, and always there… The “Old Blue” will be here in FLA in a couple weeks, with Christopher in the 3, and Doug Coby in the back-up, numbered 52.

Almost everyone in this selection will be in Fla in 2 weeks…!

BUgs15.jpg

BugsBrady.jpg

This one is kinda cool… Bugs Stevens (aka Carl Berghman) is coming again. from what i hear…

Pic 1 is bugs in the Sonny Kosczela (sp) 15. Sonny’s daughter is Julie Stefanik… Mike Stefaniks wife… he will also be at Speedweeks.

Pic 2 shows bugsy behind the wheel of Joe Brady’s 00… Joe will ALSO be at Speedweeks (and Reunion), with Ted Christopher at the wheel.

Pic 3, is Bugs at Daytona ( I think), with the Len Boehler 33. Len was famous for the “Old Blue 3’s”… always ugly, always blue, and always there… The “Old Blue” will be here in FLA in a couple weeks, with Christopher in the 3, and Doug Coby in the back-up, numbered 52.

Almost everyone in this selection will be in Fla in 2 weeks…!

Jerry mathis, a Buffalo racer in his day, shown here in 2 shots.

1st. pic is one of his Coupes.

2nd. pic, he’s about to T-Bone, what i believe to be the very first Gremlin bodied Asphalt Modified, driven by Dave VanValkenburg. It’s car owner was a para-plegic by the name of Jim Connelly, who went on to have a bunch of success with Gary Iulg behind thw wheel of his cars

Another bit of news from Jerry… he & daughter Wendy Mathis, have bought a dirt chassis, and will be going Top Gun Sprint racing in 2013.

Nobody can say that Billy Harman hasn’t been around awhile. Here are a couple of nice shots from his earlier years, and a pic of him in the Ted Marsh 55. Ted himself, is still involved these days, fielding a car in the K&N portion at Daytona this year.

Scott McGarrity will get this one…!

BHarmon55.jpeg

Former Plainville Stadium Champion, Bob Viveri will be there. He is a Coupe, a Pinto, and a night he’d rather forget.

Dirt racer from 5 Mile Point Speedway in NY, Glenn Lawrence will be back for the 2nd year in a row.

GLawrence.jpg

Richie Gomes, from Long Island, NY will be here. The first shot is from Islip Speedway in 1970.

The 2nd shot is a very clean & sharp Gremlim

The 3rd shot is Richie’s toy today. He runs with the DAARA club on occasion.

RGomes.jpg

Gomes9.jpeg

I got there yesterday, 22 Feb, 2013, saw lost of real nice things got to meet Jerry Morgan and Joe Cryan, also saw Dutch Hoag and others. it’s a big spot on my to do lists now.

Had a great time with my NAPA 15 car yesterday. It has set up for awhile and took about 5 laps to clear the carb and warm up the tires. After that I could shift to 4th and let her go on 7 year old tires. felt good after that and then it was over. :frowning:
Love doing this every year with Jerry and hope to continue… Thanks again to Jerry Binner and all who put this ‘old farts’ event together…:huepfen024:
-JIM-

(yup, picture below is on dirt giving kids rides at the ‘Bullring’ in Ocala last fall)