Not a complaint....just some thoughts

I am from Michigan, our Sportsman class run unlimited steel head motors, any clutch, allowed racing trans (must add weigh), any intake, any carb, roller cams/lifters, any chassis including tube, any suspension, any brakes, any rear end, either the 800 or the 970 Hoosier tire.

The 800 is like the 650/450 but is a harder compound, cost the same but last a lot longer. The 800 cost $95, the 970 $115 per tire. The 800 you can run 5-6 nights, the 970 probably 4-5 nights. The 970 is faster the 2 and 3 night out. The 800 stays consistent.

What I am trying to get at is, I have heard that the Sportsman class here in Florida is suppose to be the cost saving/effective class. I dont see that and here is why:

1. 7.25 inch clutch Quarter Master w/disk $580 plus flexplate… Ram 13.5# Pressure Plate $316.99 Ram Disk $194.99 Ram flywheel $244.99…and yet you cant run the 7.25" where is the cost savings there? Not only that, but the 7.25 is safer!!! And if you opted to run the racing trans, this cost isnt here, its part of the trans!!! Many late model teams are trying to sell these as they buy new or are getting out of racing.

2. Cam/lifters…I will grant you that a roller cam/lifter set up cost more initally and it does make more HP, but it will last longer…so where is the cost savings there?

3. Hoosier 650/450 tires, really for what, at best with the motor rules, these motors are making 400-450 HP, try 629 HP on a set of 800’s and the 800’s are probably cheaper!!! and if not I KNOW THEY LAST LONGER!!! Not to mention, you will see who has the better set up and who is the better driver…Again, where is the cost savings?

4. Quick change vs 9"…must add weight…why? it takes more HP to turn a quick change over a 9"…gears are cheaper for the quick change $50/set vs what $450 and up for a 9"!!! COST SAVINGS?

5. Clips…must run STOCK OEM clip…really…lets see, stock oem clip from Howe $630 to $1450…STOCK tube clip (everything is the same mounting points etc as the camaro OEM clip) $535 to $576 ready to be welded on…COST SAVINGS???

6. Time…got to a track yesterday, had to wait for the tech guy to bring the “SNIFFER” to every car to check compression, that took over 2 hours…why? I know… to ensure that everyone is on the same playing field, but if you didnt have such suppose to be “cost savings” rules you could have teched every car in every class in that time versus only 1 class.

7. Spindles…must run OEM…HELLO SAFETY…STOCK OEM SPINDLES WERE NEVER DESIGNED TO BE PUT THROUGH THE STRESSES OF RACING…COST SAVINGS? Not sure about all of you, but I cant put a $ value on my life!!!

I by no means have an unlimited budget for racing, I have never had thousands of dollars to put into my cars, motors, shocks, etc. I have raced against plenty of teams that have unlimited budgets, experience, etc. While I could have done better if I had this or that, I have always managed to be competitive with NO racing budget other than my own pockets, not saying that I dont have money in my car, I do, but it was over time that I have mangaed to get where I am currently at…so, it is time to get off the mind set that YOUR rules are cost savings with the racer in mind!!!

Just my thoughts…

WELL SAID!!!

Many of the rules are simply “cut and paste” from years past and in most cases; MANY years ago. Your example of the stock clip, that hasn’t been cheaper than a fabricated clip in at least a decade!

the most dreaded words in racing. “this rule will save you money” :laugh::laugh:

rules?

Is it just me or does anyone else ever think that sometimes rules are made up by folks that do not own or drive the cars?

Fl. tracks

Sure might be nice if the tracks on here would update their sites, sure is discouraging that some have the last post from 2009, also they might think about providing a map and directions to get there? instead, they all seem to me to be lacking in attendance of both cars and spectators.

[QUOTE=rjracinginc;124893]I am from Michigan, our Sportsman class run unlimited steel head motors, any clutch, allowed racing trans (must add weigh), any intake, any carb, roller cams/lifters, any chassis including tube, any suspension, any brakes, any rear end, either the 800 or the 970 Hoosier tire.

The 800 is like the 650/450 but is a harder compound, cost the same but last a lot longer. The 800 cost $95, the 970 $115 per tire. The 800 you can run 5-6 nights, the 970 probably 4-5 nights. The 970 is faster the 2 and 3 night out. The 800 stays consistent.

What I am trying to get at is, I have heard that the Sportsman class here in Florida is suppose to be the cost saving/effective class. I dont see that and here is why:

1. 7.25 inch clutch Quarter Master w/disk $580 plus flexplate… Ram 13.5# Pressure Plate $316.99 Ram Disk $194.99 Ram flywheel $244.99…and yet you cant run the 7.25" where is the cost savings there? Not only that, but the 7.25 is safer!!! And if you opted to run the racing trans, this cost isnt here, its part of the trans!!! Many late model teams are trying to sell these as they buy new or are getting out of racing.

2. Cam/lifters…I will grant you that a roller cam/lifter set up cost more initally and it does make more HP, but it will last longer…so where is the cost savings there?

3. Hoosier 650/450 tires, really for what, at best with the motor rules, these motors are making 400-450 HP, try 629 HP on a set of 800’s and the 800’s are probably cheaper!!! and if not I KNOW THEY LAST LONGER!!! Not to mention, you will see who has the better set up and who is the better driver…Again, where is the cost savings?

4. Quick change vs 9"…must add weight…why? it takes more HP to turn a quick change over a 9"…gears are cheaper for the quick change $50/set vs what $450 and up for a 9"!!! COST SAVINGS?

5. Clips…must run STOCK OEM clip…really…lets see, stock oem clip from Howe $630 to $1450…STOCK tube clip (everything is the same mounting points etc as the camaro OEM clip) $535 to $576 ready to be welded on…COST SAVINGS???

6. Time…got to a track yesterday, had to wait for the tech guy to bring the “SNIFFER” to every car to check compression, that took over 2 hours…why? I know… to ensure that everyone is on the same playing field, but if you didnt have such suppose to be “cost savings” rules you could have teched every car in every class in that time versus only 1 class.

7. Spindles…must run OEM…HELLO SAFETY…STOCK OEM SPINDLES WERE NEVER DESIGNED TO BE PUT THROUGH THE STRESSES OF RACING…COST SAVINGS? Not sure about all of you, but I cant put a $ value on my life!!!

I by no means have an unlimited budget for racing, I have never had thousands of dollars to put into my cars, motors, shocks, etc. I have raced against plenty of teams that have unlimited budgets, experience, etc. While I could have done better if I had this or that, I have always managed to be competitive with NO racing budget other than my own pockets, not saying that I dont have money in my car, I do, but it was over time that I have mangaed to get where I am currently at…so, it is time to get off the mind set that YOUR rules are cost savings with the racer in mind!!!

Just my thoughts…[/QUOTE]

Good post with some facts and figures. I wonder how this post found it’s way to the complaint section? Doesn’t need to be here.