a question about Bowman Gray Stadium

I am finally making my first trip to “The Madhouse” in a few weeks with my boys. What time do spectators need to get there? Does it sell out?

We were there last June at a Saturday night race and it was sold out. Only 2 classes running, late Models and the madhouse MODS. I think it seats about 4000 and at least 1000 were walking around without seats.
Don’t know if it’s true, but I heard the track was sold last month and there will no longer be racing there. Not sure if it means after this season or effective NOW… Oldest NASCAR santioned track being lost.:frowning: Great place too.
-JIM-

Hey Rex…check out the track’s Web site: http://www.bowmangrayracing.com/

Looks like four weekly divisions: Modifieds, Sportsman, Street Stocks, and Stadium Stocks.

Sportsman seem to be a “Limited Late Model” type car. Street Stocks look more what “Sportsman” seem to be down in Florida (stock frame car, steel body, etc. - no wedge cars, but, a couple of 'em run older bodies, like what NASCAR LMS looked like in the late '70s). Stadium Stocks are 4-cylinder, aftermarket-body cars (older-style Mustangs, Toyota Celicas, even still a Pinto or two thrown in).

One of the Street Stock guys is running what looks like an old Fairlane-bodied car.

Also looks like for a weekly show, you get twin features in the top two divisions:

“Unless otherwise indicated: Saturday programs include two 25-lap Modified races; two 20-lap Sportsman races; 20-lap Street Stock race; and, depending on number of entries, one or two 15-lap Stadium Stock races.”

Hey Boneman. I have only been there twice and that was on back to back weekends. We got there fairly early and were about the 100th person in the ticket line about an hour before they started selling tickets. I’ve heard different attendance figures, one was 10,000 and the other was 17,000. (I know that is quite a range but I can’t find my official program with the facts). Place was packed both nights with standing room only around the top concourse. (Remember this is also a football field for Winston Salem) Great scoreboard at that track. Time trials both nights I went. Four divisions as mentioned but on some nights they have a demo derby which means earlier lines. Also they have a ladies night where the ladies get in for free, meaning an extra large crowd. The Nascar Whelen Southern mods were the reason we went, but the other divisions were really good as well. Parking is all over the place but you might end up quite a distance from the ticket windows. Many tail gate at the track’s parking lot.Some of the people I spoke with get there early afternoon. We sat in the first & second turns and the sun beat down on us. Tried to move to the backstretch but didn’t care for the view. Bring something to mark your seats, cushions, etc, as when the fans get there they will claim their territory. I believe some of the front stretch is reserved for regulars. They do not advertise those seats. I have read where Frass has been there and he can probably give you greater detail. All I know is this track ranks high on my list for a great evening at the race track. Professional all the way and the drivers do not fear the side by side re-starts which seems to be an issue among our Florida drivers. In closing all I can say is I really don’t know how a track can be anymore professional than Bowman Gray. It should be well worth your trip. Have a great time with your boys, it won’t get much better than this!!!

Get there EARLY. If you don’t, a walk of 1/2 mile or more is commonplace. Another reason to get there early, is to check out the layout of the facility. Certain stands sell certain things, and the are several around the stadium. Try get somewhere near a restroom, because you might be scrambling if you have to find one in a hurry.

Also, when I was there, there were a few dozen people wandering around the place during the mid-adternoon hours, and most are travelers from somewhere else. You can have some great conversations long before the ticket booths open.

I went last year, and although not a sellout, there were easily 14,000 there. I was told opening night sold out at 19,000 in the stands.

It’s an experience you won’t forget… Have FUN you lucky SOB.

Double or triple everything Jerry said… I’ve been there perhaps 6 - 8 times (whenever I got a job related lay-over in the area, most times by design).
Getting there early is the ticket…or walk a very long way… grab a bucket of Chicken and tailgate with the kids and get in as soon as you can… be prepared for some GREAT racing… but watch your seats or lose em…restroom idea is a good one… I ended up liking the mid-section (straight ahead as you enter), you can see them coming at you and then going down the back stretch (you can see how close they are racing)… and unlike FL, they don’t mind double file restarts…(you’re in Pro-county at BGS). You WILL enjoy. OSF

I have to say my trip to BGS was the most awesome thing I have ever witnessed as a short-track racing fan. When you start to think racing is in a death spiral, a trip to BGS will make you believe in racing again. I went there alone one night and had trouble finding a seat. Had to be 15,000 people there for a Mod 100 lapper. The track is literally the flat 1/4 mi. running track around your old high school football field, paved. The Mods still got going fast enough to flip one. The “Sportsman” and “Street Stock” were both Late Model looking ABC bodied divisions (except for the aforementioned Fairlane Street Stock). I believe the Street Stocks run a Chevy 250 straight six! The Stadium Stock had so many cars that they ran 2 full-field features with different cars in each race. Many in the massive crowd all had t-shirts on for their favorite LOCAL driver (not Junebug). BGS fans are very passionate about the locals. I saw one portly woman give Junior Miller the finger every lap of the 100 lap feature! If you sit down low on the straights (spectator seating extends around 7/8ths of the track) you are literally right on top of the action (no fence, but a high wall with armco attached to it). If you are a driver it must be like the Roman colliseum. There is no way you are not seeing the crowd hanging over the track! BBQ above the turn 2 grandstand is awesome too! If you’ve never been, then you gotta put a trip to BGS on your bucket list. :ernaehrung004:

So where is the best seating, high or low?

When you say “get there early”, what does that mean? 2 pm? 4 pm?

Can’t wait to go!

[QUOTE=Boneman;128005]So where is the best seating, high or low?

When you say “get there early”, what does that mean? 2 pm? 4 pm?

Can’t wait to go![/QUOTE]

We were there a couple hours before the gate opened and sat straight in the gate between turns 1-2 up high. See the whole track from there…
Take a scanner for the track radio. The race director is a colorful guy and will kick out a team not going by his calls… especially if you get on ‘HIS’ grass in the infield.
13 miles due south is Richard Childress shop and musieum. All of the Black 3 cars for 2001 season are in there and the hauler as well. Well worth the trip too.
Hope what I heard about the track being bought is just a rumor though…
…and I forgot a ‘1’ in front of the seating…
-JIM-

Hey Rex…If you get there between 5-6pm, you should have no problem getting in. We’ve gone several times over the past few years and have never had a problem getting in. Gate open at 6pm. Definitely take a blanket to mark / claim your seats. We usually sit at the end of the front straightaway / turn 1 area. We usually sit about halfway down, so we can watch the races and the people, both are equally entertaining. I wouldn’t sit on the backstretch, the afternoon sun will blind you. You can also take food and drink in. We usually take a small cooler with drinks. Drinks there were expensive. Make sure you try a fried bologna sandwich, they’re good. You guys will love it. It really is a great experience. Let us know when you go, we might be up there. Tom Finney

Yea I was reading I guess they just now sold it to the university up there they said they will let them keep racing for now.

Hasn’t been sold just yet:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_b0553e15-69aa-55f4-a34e-ecb2d58ea5c1.html

Childress is looking to buy.

Regardless of who buys BGS there is a contract to continue racing there until 2031. Let’s hope Childress gets it. The night I was there he had a “house” Cup car there on display, so I’m thinking he has some ties there.

Childress sold popcorn in the stands there as a kid and was a “go-fer” for guys like Curtis Turner and Glen Wood… He also started his racing career there…

[QUOTE=Jimmy McKinley;128023]Hasn’t been sold just yet:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_b0553e15-69aa-55f4-a34e-ecb2d58ea5c1.html

Childress is looking to buy.[/QUOTE]

This is dated Dec 2012 what I read was last month.

Winston-Salem City Council votes to sell LJVM Coliseum, Bowman Gray Stadium

The city council also unanimously approved an intent to sell Bowman Gray Stadium to Winston-Salem State University for $7.1 million. The sale is pending approval from the state legislature.

http://myfox8.com/2013/05/20/winston-salem-city-council-votes-to-sell-ljvm-coliseum-bowman-gray-stadium/

I just hope they leave it open I want to take my family there sometime.

There are several different gates that you can buy tickets at with each booth more or less having its own parking area. Another thing is the track has practice on Saturday mornings starting at 9 am. You can go then and have time to meet the drivers and stuff like that. Also in the grandstands you are allowed to bring in small coolers, that is what we do cause for the most part they don’t have a large selection of food.
You get in for 10.00 dollars and the excitement level there is absolutely incredible. It is an awesome place. 15000 fans is the norm for a Saturday night.
Gates open at 6. It is a good idea to be in line around 4:30 or 5pm or you will be at the end of a long line. You can go anytime of the day to claim your seats.
4 classes with full fields in every class.

[QUOTE=DeMan951;128035]Winston-Salem City Council votes to sell LJVM Coliseum, Bowman Gray Stadium

The city council also unanimously approved an intent to sell Bowman Gray Stadium to Winston-Salem State University for $7.1 million. The sale is pending approval from the state legislature.

http://myfox8.com/2013/05/20/winston-salem-city-council-votes-to-sell-ljvm-coliseum-bowman-gray-stadium/

I just hope they leave it open I want to take my family there sometime.[/QUOTE]I don’t understand their reversal over a year’s period of time. In the article I posted (I didn’t realize it was a year old…sorry), it said that the city council (or whatever) didn’t want to sell to the university because “It doesn’t make financial sense to charge students a higher fee to pay for what would be the additional expense of borrowed public money”. Now they’ve changed their minds, huh?

Anyways…regardless of who will own it, they must honor the current lease through 2031 which permits racing on the flat 1/4 mile.