Sad News Bud St. Amant

Bud St. Amant passed away at 6:00 tonight. He was Gary’s dad and a really great guy.
He worked on Don Gregory’s car when he won the Governor’s cup at the Golden Gate.
He was having health problems for a while.

I know them well being from Columbus. St Amant/Gregory were a late model team to be reckoned with back in the day all over Ohio. Bud lived 2 streets over from me and Gary went to school with my younger brother. Hung out at his house in the garage when I could, once he gave me an old pair of Hoosier 14in slicks that I put on my 65 GTO. It was really badass looking with those big tires in the back. I was a Don Gregory fan since the late 60s. Raced Donnie in min stocks at CMS as well before I came to Florida in 1983. Team LRE sends our condolences to the family.

Jimmy is that second photo at Golden Gate Speedway?

[QUOTE=oneoff;139681]Jimmy is that second photo at Golden Gate Speedway?[/QUOTE]Yep - 1977 Florida 200.

sad to hear

I grew up going to Columbus Motor Speedway,and remember all to well the St. Amant Gregory cars that dominated there in the 60s and 70s in not just the late model division but the old Sportsman division as well.I raced against Buds son Gary a little bit in the old street stock division at CMS in 1983 when Gary was first starting out and I was hanging up my helmet.I used to run into Bud every once in a while when i was running my mobile catering truck into new apartment and condo subdivisions and he had his excavating business there on the same job site.A big loss for the racing community in the state of Ohio and beyond.

Hey zerofor this is Mike LeMaster, ran in mini stocks 1980-82 #18 Not sure if you may remember me or not. Was wondering who you might be? I worked with Wes Wilson (LM#33)at Bob Caldwell Chrysler Plymouth then before I moved to Florida. Born and raised in Columbus for 30 years. Just wondering,

Hey Mike

I left you a private message.

That picture of the infield (1977) showing the pit crews standing to the right was before the race… during the race a car got loose and drove through those people and people were flying up in the air… some got hurt real bad… thankfully, no one was killed…
Having the lap counters up on the trailer was WAY better than using a score board as they do now… you could see the position of each car during the whole race… wish they would do it that way for big races now… OSF

[QUOTE=Old Sunshine Fan;139905]That picture of the infield (1977) showing the pit crews standing to the right was before the race… during the race a car got loose and drove through those people and people were flying up in the air… some got hurt real bad… thankfully, no one was killed… OSF[/QUOTE]Bob, was that that year? I thought that was in about '74.

In '76, Hamke and Malcuit got together and took out the flag stand…

Now I’m not too sure about the year (but I thought they only used the flat bed for score keepers that one year (again, could be wrong)…
I remember the flag stand deal, I was sitting right behind it and I jumped over the rail and helped support the stand while they got Johnny Hicks down out of it.
My memory has gone, (But it wasn’t the first thing to go)…lol…OSF

zerofor

I tried to reply to my private message but I don’t think it worked. Send me an e-mail to mike@lemasterinsagency.com would like to talk to ya

And another note of passing

Longtime speedway owner and promoter of Columbus Motor Speedway Jim Nuckles passed away recently.