Citrus County Speedway cancels remainder of season….

Would you give it the F up dude? HOLY F’N HELL! This post has NOTHING to do with Orlando! If you got such a problem with them, grow a set and call them and tell them instead of hiding behind a forum name. :aetsch013::sprachlos020:

so as the track promoters get a belly full of the bashing and name calling and clost the local tracks how long will it take for the few of you to make it so we have no place to go?
Some day you will run out of people that are race fans that have enough money to try to be a promoter and save a track.
My children were bashed in school buy the kind of racers that love to hate.
It wasent to bad in my day because the on line race forms were few and far between.
Now days every tome a promoter does something that one racer didn’t like the post start. 100s of them over one time that the officals wanted to look at someones car.
I have watched Gary get beat up for months over the smallest things that till he had enough of the trash talkers.
Rember I think his rent is payed for next year .
Would you blame him if he just left it closed for another year.
How about if the county needed a parking lot and they don’t want to put up with the bashers either.
Keep up the trash and you will lose another local track.
Grow up people its a hobby.

Don62

every one knows who he is that’s for sure .
Thinking he is saying that this is going to happen in citrus like it did in Orlando

don62

Don, you have been around the bullring a few times and are familiar with the Inverness deal.

Given that the “rent is paid for the next year” and given that good racing is the objective, what would your suggestions to Gary be, assuming he gave you full rein?

[QUOTE=Don Nerone;151129]every one knows who he is that’s for sure .
Thinking he is saying that this is going to happen in citrus like it did in Orlando

don62[/QUOTE]

Doesn’t matter Don, he posts the same exact thing almost word for word any time a track discussion of any sort comes up.

There is a man here with health issues which is extremely unfortunate and sadly a track had to close it’s doors at least temporarily as we hope. The issue with Orlando is a different deal and is not even relevant at this point.

If it weren’t for seeing Dave post the same thing 15 times in the past 2 months, it would be different. I understand him being upset, and his passion. I love Orlando too, and I have been doing all I can to help them over there with anything I can, even from 1500 miles away. But it’s gotten old and I think everyone on the board get’s his point much the same way they got sick of me saying to support Orlando every 5 minutes. It gets old

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;151131]Don, you have been around the bullring a few times and are familiar with the Inverness deal.

Given that the “rent is paid for the next year” and given that good racing is the objective, what would your suggestions to Gary be, assuming he gave you full rein?[/QUOTE]

I know it’s not directed towards me, but I will interject a little bit of my thoughts here.

I have said it up here many times. Tracks need other tracks to survive. If you look up at what just happened to Gresham in GA you will see much truth to that. As soon as Lanier closed it’s doors, with SGMP being so far away, many of the regulars sold out or went dirt racing. When it closed, Gresham was averaging worse car counts than the worst track in FL with 3-7 cars per field AVERAGE…

The tracks all need to get on the same page. Put their pride aside and understand that to survive for the long term, they all need to have some sort of agreement to work with each other to an extent if not completely. There are many racers that would surely love to race multiple tracks every year and some even every week. I think having every track in FL running on Saturday alone is a bad thing. I bet if you spread out racing from Thursday Night to Sunday Afternoon and didn’t have tracks stepping on each others toes it could work better for everyone.

Varying rules between tracks so close together as they are on the west coast can pose problems too. If one track rains out and another misses the storm, a driver might want to head for another track but if it requires changes to their cars, they likely just stay put.

I’m not saying any of this will solve everything and make everything magically better… It’s one key to a large puzzle. with Desoto and NSS on an upswing and other tracks maintaining or struggling there is a vast difference obviously in idea in racing in FL. if you got all heads together and put ideas out, things stand a good chance to turn for the positive, especially if everyone is in agreement and works together.

I know, it’s a pipedream.

A good start over is needed there.
Wash the old taste out of every ones mouth and start with reg old time weekly stock car racing.
Rebuild the faith in the fans so they will return to the track.
There are many ways to do these things but I wont and cant list them on here.
Pay no attention to any one that only thinks of them self or there eago on the internet.
Its a great track and puts on a great show.

Ok here is one

If you went to a new restrant that claims to have great food and it sucked.
Nest week they ha a ad on TV that said come back it better now would you go back?? (no)
If the ad said comeback its better now and this week its FREE then would
you go back??
The job is going to be tough but it can be done there .
There are lots of race fans there…
God bless Dan Jones he showed all of us how to do it…

Don62

The handful of folks bitching on message boards did not cause problems at Citrus…that’s a real stretch. In the big picture it’s nothing. The reality is though, social media is part of life now whether one likes it or not. I do seem to recall him bitching on this forum when he lost out at Punta Gorda…that’s ok though, right?

Did he really promote to the fans in his market, other than using the FREE internet? Which may be the case… If he did any other promotion, he chose the wrong method. Did he create a reason for people to come with building a great show? I seem to remember a few “morning after” type DQ’s…Did he welcome his participants? I remember him initially ignoring TBARA who had a turn key program…you know like Sinatra says “I did it my way”??? He had some nights of good car counts. It’s up to HIM and his STAFF to get the message to fans so that He can make some money.

Bottom line it’s the promotor’s responsibilty.

But it never seems to be the promoters fault.

As AJ would say “that’s quite true”…:slight_smile:

Maybe a meeting could be set up with the racers, with the stated goal of moving forward with racing and getting along, not beaching about the past.

Concerns could be raised, and dealt with, and then an event scheduled.

Ironically it appears that it costs a lot more money to rebuild than to build.

Keep in mind that this would not be a bend-over by the promoter.

Somehow Yoho has packed pits and packed grandstands, and he is not begging them to show up. In fact, HOW DOES he do that?

He RUNS the show, arguably with a heavy hand, and the racers come? LOTS of racers. Including the ones that got pulled out of there with the motor running by a wrecker previously.

If it is money, then that should be a self-admission by promoters. If you don’t have the jack, Jack, it is going to be a tough row to hoe.

Many Good points made about this situation. I hope Mr. Laplant’s health improves. But with that being said lets not forget that no one has mentioned sponsors who invested in Racers with the intention that there car was going to be racing at there local track. Restaurants in town that served many after the races. Local motels that sold rooms when we had traveling shows come to town. Racers building cars for next season. Loyal fans who now have lost there racing venue. Of course many things could have been done differently, that is always the case. If the current management finds it to stressful to run the operation, why not approach the fair board about selling the remainder of the lease to someone willing to take it over. I believe that too much damage has already been done for Gary to ever win back good faith, and trust in the racing community at CCS. There are certainly individuals out there who could bring CCS back to life. Any good business man knows when the ship is sinking. Being obstinate because of ego or pride will not save or make any money!

Solution

Horrible news. I hope Mr Laplant is feeling better. With that being said I would like to point out that. No one has mentioned sponsors who just got shafted. Local restaurants who served racers and fans after the program. Local motels who catered to racers when we had a traveling show come to visit And what about the fans? This is just my opinion and nothing more. If the current management finds it to stressful to run the operation, why not ask the fair board if the remainder of the lease can be sold to another party who is interested to bring CCS back to its racers and fans. Any good business man knows if the ship is sinking get off before it is to late. I believe far to much damage has already been done for Mr. Laplant to ever win back the trust of fans and racers alike in this community. Waiting for months to see if everything is now ok certainly is not the solution. Time for pride and ego to be put to bed, and no more moey wasted.

Gary is now 2 for 2, in tracks that he ran, shutting down. Its a shame

Off topic a bit, but I just read that Gresham in GA will not open in 2015 unless someone buys or leases the track. Phew, asphalt racing in GA is hurting.

I am going to admit this right off the bat… I didn’t read every post in this thread. I just want to tell you all (yes I said YOU ALL), that we do not visit race tracks every week anymore. Some of you dislike me because of my views on the TBARA… So I am sure you dont care… But allow me to tell you this…

As a fan, looking in from the outside, all you ppl do is whine and bitch because you aren’t getting your way. Admittedly, I was/am guilty of the same. The difference between you and me tho, is I have nothing to lose and you stand to lose more.

Regardless of what Gary said or did, your bitching and trashing led to him closing the track.

So let’s count… How many tracks are not running this year, or under performing due to personality conflicts and lack of attendance??? Two. That’s two too many. Suck it up, strap in and drive.

Stop acting like a bunch of middle school girls who’s feelings are hurt. Follow the rules, and do the right thing. SUPPORT your local track, so ppl like me will support you.

I’ve met some nice pplnat the track, and here… But I just spent my racing budget on a old Monte that I am going to restore and drive.

Let me know when the races are real… Maybe I will visit.

[QUOTE=katlizy;151167]

So let’s count… How many tracks are not running this year, or under performing due to personality conflicts and lack of attendance??? Two. That’s two too many. .[/QUOTE]

You forgot Putnam County Speedway

Kat,

Congrats on the Monte Carlo! I have some old GM iron myself.

Let’s say you decide to turn it into a street stock. No car shows, no vacations, no college fund for the kids, because it is all going into a cage, wheels, locked rear end, motor, and on and on and…on.

You will lose money every single week, even if you do well, which you probably won’t for years.

Further, let’s say you feel “wronged” by the track you chose to run at. Your wheelbase is off 3/4", or you got under a guy, he cut down, contact, and you go to the back, etc.

Are you going to go back out of a sense of duty to the track?

As a fan, you know that if the car count drops and drops and/or the show is slow, or if you routinely do not agree with the “track calls”, you may very well decide to work on the Monte Carlo in the garage or watch a re-run of Michael Waltrip on “dancing” with the…

A Promoter, by definition, promotes an event or track. It is all encompassing. Money, advertising, excitement, all rest on his or her shoulders.

Like racers, some promoters are more successful than others. Doesn’t make them a bad guy, just means they need to move on to another entreprenurial idea, and someone else hopefully will step up.

It is all really quite self levelling.

From what i’ve read, Putnam is another example of people leasing a race track with no money to operate it.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;151170]Kat,

Congrats on the Monte Carlo! I have some old GM iron myself.

Let’s say you decide to turn it into a street stock. No car shows, no vacations, no college fund for the kids, because it is all going into a cage, wheels, locked rear end, motor, and on and on and…on.

You will lose money every single week, even if you do well, which you probably won’t for years.

Further, let’s say you feel “wronged” by the track you chose to run at. Your wheelbase is off 3/4", or you got under a guy, he cut down, contact, and you go to the back, etc.

Are you going to go back out of a sense of duty to the track?

As a fan, you know that if the car count drops and drops and/or the show is slow, or if you routinely do not agree with the “track calls”, you may very well decide to work on the Monte Carlo in the garage or watch a re-run of Michael Waltrip on “dancing” with the…

A Promoter, by definition, promotes an event or track. It is all encompassing. Money, advertising, excitement, all rest on his or her shoulders.

Like racers, some promoters are more successful than others. Doesn’t make them a bad guy, just means they need to move on to another entreprenurial idea, and someone else hopefully will step up.

It is all really quite self levelling.[/QUOTE]

Nope… no race car… for my enjoyment only…

Now… if say I did meet your hypothetical above… if I chose mms ot to go to a track…i sure cant bitch about the consequences of my decision. Its my decision and I must own my role in the outcome.

Have a good day guys!!