More Adds to Florida Race History Web Site

I just updated the 1977 Florida Governor’s Cup album with more photos taken by Bobby 5X5 Day… We actually stood next to each other in turn three all day snapping photos at that race… a good man who I still miss… Again, this album is on page one of the Golden Gate Speedway album… I have an album to add next week on the '78 Governor’s Cup race, the last one run on a Sunday afternoon before the track was shut down for a couple of years…
I have tons more photos to add from Golden Gate and the Florida Fairgrounds track (off I-4) plus a bunch more… just hoping to get the needed upgrades to make all this possible… Thanks to Joe Jacolone, Jim Daley, Alan Sheppard and a few others I’m almost there… If you’d like to become a sponsor, just see me at New Smyrna tomorrow… Just trying to keep history alive while I am LOL…

Below are four cars that were at the Governor’s Cup in either 1976, 1977 or 1978 that I cannot identify… I will give you guys on here a stab at it… maybe you recognize them… I’m wondering if the #6 might have been one of Al Stageberg’s last cars he owned…

#42; Jerry Makara ?

Racer out of Michigan that used to pop up at some of the big shows in Wisconsin like Octoberfest.
More famous for the Thrush muffler sponsored car, but also I think drove a car owned by Draime Engines for a while in the mid 70’s

Edit; I did a little searching, it could be a driver named John Anderson who drove for Draime also- I don’t know anything about him.

Anderson was at the same race in '78 driving another Draime car #30… he made the show but the #42 didn’t… it may have been Makara…

Sponsor

pm sent Dave

Did not get your PM Joe… don’t know why it won’t go thru… Try my e-mail at announcerdave@usa.net… I need to get your e-mail also…

[QUOTE=ancrdave;156984]I just updated the 1977 Florida Governor’s Cup album with more photos taken by Bobby 5X5 Day… We actually stood next to each other in turn three all day snapping photos at that race… a good man who I still miss… Again, this album is on page one of the Golden Gate Speedway album… I have an album to add next week on the '78 Governor’s Cup race, the last one run on a Sunday afternoon before the track was shut down for a couple of years…
I have tons more photos to add from Golden Gate and the Florida Fairgrounds track (off I-4) plus a bunch more… just hoping to get the needed upgrades to make all this possible… Thanks to Joe Jacolone, Jim Daley, Alan Sheppard and a few others I’m almost there… If you’d like to become a sponsor, just see me at New Smyrna tomorrow… Just trying to keep history alive while I am LOL…

Below are four cars that were at the Governor’s Cup in either 1976, 1977 or 1978 that I cannot identify… I will give you guys on here a stab at it… maybe you recognize them… I’m wondering if the #6 might have been one of Al Stageberg’s last cars he owned…[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=“4”]Not sure of the year but I believe the #22 car is Tom Edwards out of the Miami area.

Mario?s was a major pizza franchise in that area at the time and I believe still is but now is all around the state. He entered his #22 Camaro in the 1976 Governor?s Cup race but this is obviously a Nova.

As you may or may not have already seen my posts on other venues regarding the #6 car you have shown here I ran the photos (your B&W and my color below) past my BIL Kenny Faircloth who frequently worked with Racer Al Stageberg as well as was the primary driver of his #6 cars during this period and he is of the opinion that this is not Racer Al?s car.

According to Kenny Racer Al never had a two-tone colored racer (always solid white) and he also never graduated up to the Grand National style hubs that this car has on it. He says Al stuck with the old wide-five Buick type hubs all the way up to his last racer.

I did not personally take the color photo I?m posting here however it was allegedly taken in the pits at Golden Gate during the weekend of the 1977 Governor?s Cup Race. Looking at the graphics on the sides the two cars appear to be the same Plymouth Duster.

[/SIZE]

I don’t believe that’s Makara in the 42. During those years I still lived up north, and would see pics of Jerry on a pretty regular basis.
None of the cars I’d seen looked like this, and it would be very unlikely that he’d qualify that far down.

Dave see if you have a picture of…

[SIZE=“4”]Buddy Sherk #5 I believe. Sponsored by Bud Sherk Auto Fair 1955 or 6 Chevy yellow and red. Thanks!!![/SIZE]:auto003: