Handicapping????

That sounds like the best AND easiest to understand system I’ve heard of yet. By the third week the “new guy” has enough points to be in the handicap. Genius in its simplicity. As it was before, this still would be the best way to handicap racing the way it is in Florida today too. Thanks for the awesome info!

I’m all for inverting according to 4week average from points.
That’s how they did it when I raced (long,long time ago lol).
It gave everybody a fighting chance even if they didn’t have a hotrod that week.
It was an honor to start in the back. It meant you were doing something right.

And it should be the announcers job to educate the fans to the situation so as to build the excitement.

My .02 worth

Dave, when you say if you lay out a week, it doesn’t count, what do you mean? Sorry for being a little thick.

Dave can correct me if I’m wrong, Joe. What I think that means is that if you miss a week it doesn’t count in your average. Miss two and then I feel you need to take some kind of hit in the handicap to encourage loyalty. Up nawth missing a week was really penalized because you were credited with a win and a half that week. Racing season here in FL is waaaaay too long to be that strict and a rule like that would hurt participation, not help. I think giving a guy a mulligan for missing just one week is a good idea. Like I said, the season is long. Family commitments, illness, wrecking, mechanical failure and running out of money are all real possibilities that are likely in a long season. Being a little forgiving would be a better option here in FL.

Thanks Scott. I agree with you that there needs to be a limit on the punishment. I only intend to run every month or so, and it would kinda be a drag to know every time I come I am in a deep hole.

can’t lay out to change avg. .only race’s count, can’t bring car on trailer without engine and say I was there. seen it all.

I bet you have! Sounds like a great system for FL type racers and racing. Let’s get it going!

You wanna have some…“fun”…with “time-trial” races/places?

Have the fast qualifier come out to the frontstretch during intermission. Roll a giant die - or, better yet, get a fan (“lucky ticket”?) to do it.

Roll the die, and invert TEN cars plus whatever comes up on the die. So, the minimum invert would be eleven cars.

Jimmy,

Short of a serious pile of cash for the pole, why wouldn’t the whole field “sandbag”?

“It was an honor to start in the back [in the 60s]. It meant you were doing something right.”–Oz

I remember. They were/are a tough generation, for sure.

As Tony Stewart said in the final race of 2011 when starting in the rear, “They are going to [go poo] when we beat them from this far back!”.

[QUOTE=Jimmy McKinley;159083]You wanna have some…“fun”…with “time-trial” races/places?

Have the fast qualifier come out to the frontstretch during intermission. Roll a giant die - or, better yet, get a fan (“lucky ticket”?) to do it.

Roll the die, and invert TEN cars plus whatever comes up on the die. So, the minimum invert would be eleven cars.[/QUOTE]

When I raced at Citrus a few years ago they did the giant die thing.