The Unofficial Desoto Speedway Sportsman 50 Preview

This Saturday Night Double Points are on the line as the Sportsman division returns to action at Desoto Speedway with a BIG 50 lapper paying a hefty $1000.00 to win! To celebrate Mother’s Day all Mom’s admissions are only $5 (with child)!

Coulter Pro Truck Series points runner-up Steve Darvalics has shown the way early this year racing to second and first place finishes respectively in the first two Sportsman events in 2015 and currently has the point lead with a slim 1 point margin. Mr. Alphabet has taken over the ride in the 79x Sportsman that was formerly campaigned by veteran Steve Gainey. Darvalics has shown he is up to the task of moving into the Sportsman class and taking the reins from Gainey with his victory and runner up runs in the class. Out of nowhere he has shown that he is the man to beat.

Hot on Darvalics heels is Florida Sportsman veteran Aaron Williamson in his beautifully prepared #13 that sports a paint scheme featuring the characters from the hit Disney film Frozen that has proven to be wildly popular with the younger race fans at Desoto. However don’t count on Aaron to be content to be “frozen” in second place in the point standings as his two starts at Desoto in 2015 have resulted in identical runs to Darvalics with a win and a second. A one place difference in a heat race is the only edge Darvalics holds over Williamson. Aaron was running down Darvalics late in the last Sportsman event on April 11th but ran out of laps as Darvalics took down the win. Saturday’s race will prove to be the “rubber match” between these two in the early battle for Sportsman supremacy at the South’s fastest short track.

2011 Desoto Speedway Sportsman Champion Greg Krom has been a model of consistency in the Sportsman division in 2015 with two fourth place finishes. Greg returned to Desoto last year and is campaigning a Sportsman as well as an OWM in action this year at the Bradenton speedplant. Greg currently sits tied for third in the points but look for him to make a return to his championship form of a few years ago with a visit to Victory Lane soon.

Driver Bobby Mobley has earned the title “Ironman” at Desoto, as it seems that he races (and wins) in nearly every class at the 3/8 mile oval. One of the few classes that Bobby hasn’t seen Victory Lane in yet in 2015 at Desoto is the Sportsman division. Bobby is currently tied with Greg for third in the points chase. I’m sure the Ironman is chomping at the bit to take down a win as he has run up front in the first two races but has yet to seal the deal. This Saturday could be Bobby’s night to break through.

Sitting quietly in fifth place is Aaron’s Dad, David Williamson. The elder Williamson started off 2015 with a solid podium finish of 3rd on night one of Sportsman competition but a handling problem relegated him to just a sixth place finish last time out. However, don’t look for David to be content to play second fiddle in the Williamson family. Since acquiring a new crate motor late in 2014 David has been on a tear ever since. If he can get that chassis sorted out and have a bit of luck, he should visit the Winner’s Circle soon.

Floundering back in sixth place is yours truly in the Hercules Sealing Products 07 Chevy SS. Our effort in 2015, however, has been anything but Herculean. Despite fighting the demon of a fuel delivery problem, we have been fortunate enough to finish the first two races and maintain 6th overall. Last race was especially frustrating as we thought we had the problem licked only to have it rear it’s ugly head on a late race restart consequently ruining a 3rd place run back to seventh. Although we have not had the results we were looking for I am optimistic as we look toward this Saturday night. With the problem (hopefully) solved we are finally hoping to reap the reward from the help of my friend, Sportsman ace and all around good-guy Patrick Thomas (with shock help from his Oviedo homey Brad May). They are working with me to try and find a setup package that I like. Although the results haven’t come yet, these guys have helped me a ton and I am blessed to have their help. Thanks guys!

Rick Reed is a veteran Sportsman driver who can get the job done in his #4. Rick doesn’t have a ton of help or backing but shows up every race ready to do battle. Rick typifies the blue collar ethic that this division is known for. The consummate underdog, don’t be surprised if Rick pulls out a victory and all that hard work pays off. Rick currently occupies 7th place in the point standings.

In eighth place is Brooke Storer who has made the move up to the Sportsman division after honing her skills in the Pro Truck class. This young lady has been steadily improving in the more nimble Sportsman cars and has had some good runs over at Showtime Speedway. Brooke and her team (Crew Chiefed by her Dad, longtime Florida short track racer Robbie Storer) have been trying to get her #9 Sportsman to work better for a long run at Desoto. If they can match some of the speed Brooke has been able to achieve on a short run then good finishes and wins will come her way, like she was able to achieve with the Pro Trucks. How cool would it be if this young lady could pull off a Victory on Mother’s Night at Desoto? No doubt, every Mom and all the ladies in the house will be pulling for her on Saturday!

Rounding out the top ten in the class are veterans Roger Blevens and Jim Dellea III.

So give Mom a treat this Saturday night and take her out for a night to remember at Desoto Speedway. God knows she put up with you, so why not treat her to some good ole Sportsman action before taking her to Brunch Sunday? An ice cold SUDS at the Speedway sports bar during Happy Hour prior to the races might be what Mom might appreciate too! The weather is supposed to be fantastic too so come on out! I’ll see you there!:ernaehrung004:

Sounds like fun! My money is on the 07 to quit the foundering and to deliver a break-out win in the big event.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Rex! I’ll have double-SUDS for you ON ICE next time our paths cross!:ernaehrung004:

Wow! I earned my first “sticky”! Thanks, Rick!:ernaehrung004:

Nice writeup, Scott! Good luck in the race, but no matter what, have fun!!

Thanks Joe! Yeah, one thing I never lose sight of is that no matter what, the ultimate goal is to just have fun. When it’s not fun anymore, then it will be time to hang up my helmet. Looking forward to a real fun night Saturday!

Thanks Scott, I shared it on our Facebook page and everyone enjoyed the read. thanks and see you Saturday

Wow, that’s cool! Thanks, Linda. Can’t wait for Saturday!

All post with the word Desoto written more than 10 times gets an auto-generated “sticky”.

All kidding aside, It’s very well written ! Really builds excitement and driver recognition. Thanks for not writing it in red, blue, or green.

[QUOTE=UREZ2PASS;159159]All post with the word Desoto written more than 10 times gets an auto-generated “sticky”.

All kidding aside, It’s very well written ! Really builds excitement and driver recognition. Thanks for not writing it in red, blue, or green.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind words, EZ. That’s what I was shooting for, build a little anticipation while trying to give everyone a little insight on our class. However, I wasn’t a lock for the “sticky”. I only used the word “Desoto” 7 times. LOL!

…and yeah, the big letters and colors are just annoying…

DON’T FORGET, HAPPY HOUR AT THE GRANDSTAND SPORTS BAR FROM 5-6:30 WITH DRAFT BEER FOR JUST $2!!!:ernaehrung004:

ALSO FREE CARNATIONS FOR THE FIRST 100 MOMS THROUGH THE GATE!!! :aktion033:

To the fans: Do you really want to stay home and WATCH THE SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS 400 NASCAR from boring Kansas??? Really??? I guarantee the Sportsman 50 will have waaaaaaaay more excitement in 217 less laps.:aktion033:

To the drivers: Free pit slab. Yeah it’s only $10. But, heck, that’s like 2.5 FREE Draft Beers while your waiting for the payout at the track’s Sports Bar! :ernaehrung004:

See everyone tomorrow!