Pocono

I’m betting that, like all of the income nascar gets, all of the money from tv rights goes into numerous shell companies, but eventually all ends up under France family control.

Has nascar lost so many fans that the networks can dictate which channels they will show the races?
When nascar suckered FOX into paying unheard of amounts of money for the broadcast rights to the races, and then nascars’ popularity took a nosedive, did that put FOX in the position to tell nascar where the races would be broadcast?
Or since we know that nascar is really only interested in the money, once the tv rights check from FOX clears, they tell FOX to air the races on any channel they want.
Or, since we know that nascar only cares about money… is FOX paying nascar more, or giving incentives to nascar, to allow the races to be shown on off the wall channels to help build up the FS1 subscriber numbers?
Are these other sports just simply paying more to the networks to have their shows televised than nascar does?

[QUOTE=Matt Albee;160854]I’m betting that, like all of the income nascar gets, all of the money from tv rights goes into numerous shell companies, but eventually all ends up under France family control.

Has nascar lost so many fans that the networks can dictate which channels they will show the races?
When nascar suckered FOX into paying unheard of amounts of money for the broadcast rights to the races, and then nascars’ popularity took a nosedive, did that put FOX in the position to tell nascar where the races would be broadcast?
Or since we know that nascar is really only interested in the money, once the tv rights check from FOX clears, they tell FOX to air the races on any channel they want.
Or, since we know that nascar only cares about money… is FOX paying nascar more, or giving incentives to nascar, to allow the races to be shown on off the wall channels to help build up the FS1 subscriber numbers?
Are these other sports just simply paying more to the networks to have their shows televised than nascar does?[/QUOTE]

I don’t know. LOL !

NAPCAR is going through a big correction,Never catch a falling knife.

Even though it was down Pocono was still the second most watched show on cable after Game of Thrones. So it’s not exactly as if the sky is totally falling, there were still 3.6 million eyeballs on the FoxSports1 screen.

The TV deal is great for FOX and NBC because they are trying to build their sports channels (NBCSN and FS1, respectively) and they need a marquee product to join the audience. The ratings are going to be awful in terms of measuring them against the past 10 years, but they will bring more eyeballs to FS1 and NBCSN. A 3 rating on one of those channels is huge. The TV guys hope the channels will grow with the sport – see what NASCAR and ESPN did for each other in the '80s and '90s.

The downside is that, as someone mentioned earlier, NASCAR is in the midst of a major market “correction.” The product just isn’t as good and the personalities aren’t as interesting. To make matters worse, because a lot of people watch these races on DVR, the viewing experience is hurt because advertisers are opting to get write-ins, plugs and placements during the broadcast itself (see: Dale Jr. Inside Drive or the Waltrips eating a box of KFC). I suspect these are add-ons in addition to the traditional ads.

As a result, we’re ending up with a sport with a middling product and a lousy viewing experience on channels that show up in fewer and fewer homes. That’s a bad recipe for NASCAR, and it could very well hurt the sport in the long run.

Now, why is golf on CBS and NBC? The TV contracts are a lot cheaper. The Red Bull stuff is on Network because Red Bull is footing the bill. Pay to play exists on network TV just as it does on the cable networks.

Joe is exactly right…NBC and Fox are feeding their sports networks. Double the commercials and viewership…It’s FOX Sports, not Fox and Fox 1…Two sporting events equals more eyeballs that they tell the advertisers are watching FOX Sports.
The other side of “media” money is the digital and social media…NASCAR has really been concentrating on these…they know TV and Track attendance is down…they are trying to capture the digital media to help make up for it. Like someone mentioned…EVERYONE has a smart phone or computer. Even the ones that don’t have FOX 1 or NBC SN…
And yes, the racing does suck…too much technology and engineers…take away bump stops, 5k shocks and coil bound springs, splitters and engineers. Its starting to get like Formula 1…if two cars get to close to each other, one of them wrecks. The adjustable pan hard bars is ridiculous also…next thing you know they will have “pass” buttons on their new fancy steering wheels that will allow them to get a 10 sec shot of HP. 90% of the racing is now done in the pits or with pit strategy. I would love to see a stat that shows how many cars are actually passed on the track.

I used to drive 3 hours and park in the mud to watch this race,Sunday,I choose to swap out a broken toilet rather than watch the race on TV,It was on sunday right??

haha, hey me too! We used to race in Woodhull, NY Saturday night. Leave the track and get home by 2 or so, unhook the trailer and everyone grab a shower and head for Pocono. We’d be sitting in line for the infield by 6am. Find a spot by the turn 1mudhole, nap a few hours, hooter patrol a few hours, then when the race started we would go to sleep again. Wake up for the finish, hooter patrol another few hours, burn the couch and go home!

[QUOTE=Joe;160881]The TV deal is great for FOX and NBC because they are trying to build their sports channels (NBCSN and FS1, respectively) and they need a marquee product to join the audience. The ratings are going to be awful in terms of measuring them against the past 10 years, but they will bring more eyeballs to FS1 and NBCSN. A 3 rating on one of those channels is huge. The TV guys hope the channels will grow with the sport – see what NASCAR and ESPN did for each other in the '80s and '90s.

The downside is that, as someone mentioned earlier, NASCAR is in the midst of a major market “correction.” The product just isn’t as good and the personalities aren’t as interesting. To make matters worse, because a lot of people watch these races on DVR, the viewing experience is hurt because advertisers are opting to get write-ins, plugs and placements during the broadcast itself (see: Dale Jr. Inside Drive or the Waltrips eating a box of KFC). I suspect these are add-ons in addition to the traditional ads.

As a result, we’re ending up with a sport with a middling product and a lousy viewing experience on channels that show up in fewer and fewer homes. That’s a bad recipe for NASCAR, and it could very well hurt the sport in the long run.

Now, why is golf on CBS and NBC? The TV contracts are a lot cheaper. The Red Bull stuff is on Network because Red Bull is footing the bill. Pay to play exists on network TV just as it does on the cable networks.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. It’s just sad that nascar has fallen so far that it’s now being used ( and allowing itself to be used ) to help build off shoot networks. I can’t picture Bill France or Bill France Jr. allowing their sport to be shown on second and third tier networks, not for any reason. They were always all about nascar being perceived as the number 1 sport in America.
And bottom line, a large segment of their dwindling fan base who have stuck with the sport through the bumbling Reign of Brian, can’t even see the races on tv anymore. I don’t see it ending well for nascar fans.
I’ve been watching on line reports of the " new " Daytona Speedway ", and it still looks like Brian is turning it into a football stadium. Maybe he realized the mess he’s made and is preparing for a future where stock car racing becomes less and less important to the France family.

Matt you are dead on about Big Bill and Jr. they would not have allowed this. Yes they were in this for the money but they knew if they grew the sport the money would take care of itself. As an almost baby-boomer it truly amazes me to reflect on the values and methods subsequent generations have in play when it comes to money entertainment right wrong and other values that shape our daily lives and interests. I can truly say that I am glad I am on the back side of all that is happening and going to happen. I will stick with short track dirt racing as my source of racing to enjoy.

different take on downsizing

It is popular among the sporty set (obviously, and straight up, those on this board excepted), indy car set, and F1 set to bash NASCAR due to the chase, the restarts, the cars not being “stock based” and on and on.

And they can point at the dropping ratings and seats being pulled to justify it.

I maintain, and as has been pointed out, that society and social standards have changed from a car-oriented nation, and racing is simply and unavoidably shrinking, Cup the most noticeably (hang on Jacques, hear me out).

Here is a potential upside:I don’t think it will ever go away completely. Not the short tracks, and not Cup. Like banana seat bikes, slot cars, and go carts, there will always be “the faithful” with gasoline in their veins.

NASCAR is good at downsizing, and if they eventually figure out that the South and short track fans are their core audience, the racing may return to shorter venues and the driving, not the drivers, take center stage again.

Really? Once again, you’re way off. TNN, TBS, TNT and FX were pretty second or third tier. In 1980 when Nascar was on ESPN that was pretty bottom of the barrel too, and those were all under France Jr. In fact the real money and frequent major network coverage didn’t come until Bill France Jr. was on his way out.

At least you keep trying, i’ll give you that. In fact, nascar races were regularly televised on ABC,CBS,and NBC as far back as the 1960s. In fact, i think the first Daytona 500 broadcast was 1961.
I would guess that the ESPN experiment was more because nascar was tired of it’s races being pre-empted, or the finishes not being shown because networks were switching to golf before the races were over. An all sports network would seem like a good fit. It turned out that ESPN started doing the same thing.

[QUOTE=Matt Albee;161000]At least you keep trying, i’ll give you that. In fact, nascar races were regularly televised on ABC,CBS,and NBC as far back as the 1960s. In fact, i think the first Daytona 500 broadcast was 1961.
I would guess that the ESPN experiment was more because nascar was tired of it’s races being pre-empted, or the finishes not being shown because networks were switching to golf before the races were over. An all sports network would seem like a good fit. It turned out that ESPN started doing the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Tape delayed, edited down clips of the racing isn’t what I’m talking about. I’m talking about live, flag to flag coverage that actually matters.:anim_pound::anim_pound:

Post your phone number. Next time a race comes on the telly, we’ll call you to get your opinion of whether or not it’s actually going to matter. No point in us wasting our time.

One person mentioned DVR’s. One reason TV contracts are so large for NASCAR is the same reason they are in baseball. Due to DVR’s, live sports are truly the biggest bang for the buck for advertisers bc studies have proven that’s the programming that viewers actually do watch live. People just DVR their favorite shows and skip the commercials. Not nearly as much with live sporting events. The influx in TV money in baseball due to DVR’s has been enormous.

Actually it was cliff diving and synchronized swimming.

Yeah, you’re right. I could never understand the fascination with cliff diving. But then the cliff diving fans probably said the same thing about auto racing.

I believe it is the potential "splat" part that they find interesting.

If you didn’t time the wave coming in correctly,it was a bad day.