Speedworld on Sunday

Sure, I am worried about the state of short track racing, and I really miss my home track, Orlando Speedworld. However, I was there yesterday and was completely impressed with the attendance and participation EVERYWHERE ELSE at the Speedworld complex.

For example, I went to see a friend race moto-cross. That track was packed with racers…especially young ones!

Cars from the drag strip filled most of the oval track parking lot. It was packed when I arrived, and was still packed when I left hours later.

There was no parking left at the mud boggs. NONE! Why on earth anyone would want to watch that type of show is beyond me, but there they were, stacked in deep and staring at the mud hole.

My informal survey indicates to me that motorsports in Orlando is pretty healthy, and it is the oval track that suffers most. Why is that? I will wager anyone on here that very few of the racers that I saw: drag, bikes or mud trucks, got paid a penny. The winners did, but most went home with only the smile on their faces from competing.

Unlike stock car teams, there was no shortage of racers to line up and go at it without the promise of any payout. The drags and the mud hole had spectators, but the bikes were all driven off the back gate.

Is this our future? Are the days of “start money” and full field payouts for local classes fading away? Sorry, but I think that is exactly where we are heading. If things go that way, it really won’t make much difference. Any local who would quit racing their antique Monte Carlo because they don’t get $20 for last place is about to quit anyway, IMHO.

It is worth noting that the moto cross and the mud boggs are next to the Speedworld property, but are not part of that complex. All 3 enjoyed a day of great weather and plenty of action. Good job!

[QUOTE=Boneman;165538]Sure, I am worried about the state of short track racing, and I really miss my home track, Orlando Speedworld. However, I was there yesterday and was completely impressed with the attendance and participation EVERYWHERE ELSE at the Speedworld complex.

For example, I went to see a friend race moto-cross. That track was packed with racers…especially young ones!

Cars from the drag strip filled most of the oval track parking lot. It was packed when I arrived, and was still packed when I left hours later.

There was no parking left at the mud boggs. NONE! Why on earth anyone would want to watch that type of show is beyond me, but there they were, stacked in deep and staring at the mud hole.

My informal survey indicates to me that motorsports in Orlando is pretty healthy, and it is the oval track that suffers most. Why is that? I will wager anyone on here that very few of the racers that I saw: drag, bikes or mud trucks, got paid a penny. The winners did, but most went home with only the smile on their faces from

Unlike stock car teams, there was no shortage of racers to line up and go at it without the promise of any payout. The drags and the mud hole had spectators, but the bikes were all driven off the back gate.

Is this our future? Are the days of “start money” and full field payouts for local classes fading away? Sorry, but I think that is exactly where we are heading. If things go that way, it really won’t make much difference. Any local who would quit racing their antique Monte Carlo because they don’t get $20 for last place is about to quit anyway, IMHO.

It is worth noting that the moto cross and the mud boggs are next to the Speedworld property, but are not part of that complex. All 3 enjoyed a day of great weather and plenty of action. Good job![/QUOTE]
It’s probably because there is a clear objective. Get competitors and you’ll get spectators. But when every class with the exception of maybe strictly stocks where money is the equalizer and not skill than you have a problem. I grew up racing and no I didn’t have a lot of money or a fancy car. In fact we were able to use modified take off in our class. Sometimes I couldn’t afford to even by them. So I would hit the tire pile on Sunday morning and find tires that would hold air. Clean them up and go race and a lot of times win. But as time went on the rule books were just book of toilet paper and not followed or only used selectively then I quit putting money into and instead I hunt deer all the time . You know why ? Because I have just as much fun and spend 1/32nd of the money. Sure I miss racing but not the bs. I think all the classes with exception of latemodels and supers should be more apt to driver skill and will then the wallet. I can’t tell you how many times you’d see the underdog pull off or Damn near pull of a win at the track. Not now. It’s the same 2 or 3 usually winning it. And the other cars , what’s left of them pissing in the wind. Nobody likes to know who’s gonna win . They like to be surprised from time to time. Moral of the story you could knock a second or two off every class and have 1000000 x’s the racing.

Go to the Drag Strip and get wacked!!!

Law was a great place in its day but it’s over now.
Boy we had some gre racing there in the past.
Sure miss the old girl…rip
Don62

I suspect that the prize money may have something to do with it, but more than that those other events largely have cars built to loose rules–by folks in their garages–based on “stock” vehicles.

And, they have the corner on niche markets.

I suggested “bracket racing” stock cars (like the drag cars) and it was loudly booed.

But the thing about it is that there are a lot of people who would race knowing they’d have a chance, even if were slim, to compete for a win. All the classes are out of hand. Heck I’d say put on skinny tires and have at it. Racers at a local level never even break even and that’s to be expected. But when your spending ungodly amounts and can’t compete then it’s just not worth it.

I can see a compromise as a possibility. Instead of the pay trickling down the field, maybe its time to have the “winners purse” and 2nd on back gets break even pay, I’m not sure if that is really even saving the track $ but I believe it may help racers, and eventually car counts, especially those just starting out or don’t have the $ to keep dumping out to get seat time.

The guys that are currently killing the racing scene are the ones buying 3-4 sets of tires, practicing during the week, all for a chance to win $800. they have the $ to waste obviously ,and are usually the top 1-5 finishing… these types should not be catered to, They will continue to dump out ridiculous $ to be the next big thing, or until the $ pit runs dry. so be it.

The latemodels have been out of control for a long time, but now its showing face in other classes. something has to be done in all classes to pull back the reigns. when guys are spending $3k to win sat. nights $800 race its beyond out of control.

Racing was at its best when the winner wasn’t determined by who had the most $ to spend.

Tech is dropping the ball bad in the asphalt scene as well, “crate motors/ spec motors” are just the platform that most competitive guys use, in all reality the 602’s were a great idea BEFORE guys started to pay another $5-6k to get them cheated, the slm’s is a whole different game… $7500 traction control devices that the tech guys cant or wont find, spec motor cheats, its ridiculous. you cant build a car to the rules and compete in a lot of the classes. these things kill our sport, combined with tracks dictating tire/fuel purchases, tracks slacking on advertisement/ seeking sponsorships. there is a lot killing the sport… it needs an overhaul

I just ran the SCCA race at Sebring this past weekend. 139 cars in 7 races, $190.00 entry fee, no purse, just trophies and a checkered flag and victory lap if you win!

Joe,

Although you could have, did you fold it up or blow it up? Did someone “get under” you and rearrange your left rear quarter panel?

Did you have fun?

You have mentioned before that running the modified at NSS is not, shall we say, a revenue stream for you.

Like NSS, would you say the net costs for the weekend were “worth it”?

ps–Although I am guessing it did not happen, it seems like one could do some hellacious donuts with a rear-engined porsche!

I had a great race with Bill McGavic’s very quick tube frame RX7, and we came close several times but never touched. It was worth every penny!

I went to Sebring also and folded up the front of mine Sunday when battling for the lead and the leader blew his engine going into turn 2.

Nice chatting with you Michael, way cool Gremlin!