Showtime Supers

Ex,

Wellllll, no one has to race at every event.

Racing is compelling, some might argue addictive, but still, it shouldn’t be the track’s responsibility to close so the racers can participate in, y’know, life outside of racing…

That said, let’s say 10-20% of the active racers have school plays to go, motors to rebuild, turkeys to carve, or similar.

Still simple math. The bigger the pool of available cars, the less noticeable a few taking the night off for various reasons is.

Old School, eloquently spoken as usual…lol, you know my opinion on this stuff and I think its finally starting to show its ugly head. I want to see what track owner has the fortitude to step up and take the lead on this, or they might want to find a good relator in the not so distance future…back when I ran the Florida Pro Series with Bert at the helm we always had a good show. All the tracks have adopted this NASCAR SLM perception and its killed the sport and the local tracks…You can build motors that last and are competitive for $5K. Now you have crankshafts that cost $3,000.00, adjustable shocks costing $1200.00 a piece, traction control devices, etc…it’s sick and ridiculous no doubt, kills the middle class racer…Open Wheels are just as bad…now we have E-mods, are you kidding? Time to go back to a simple late model division…sportsman’s today, are what late models were back then, they just didn’t have those funky offset bodies the sportsman have today…not a big fan of those style bodies, but that’s JMO.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;165890]Ex,

Wellllll, no one has to race at every event.

Racing is compelling, some might argue addictive, but still, it shouldn’t be the track’s responsibility to close so the racers can participate in, y’know, life outside of racing…

That said, let’s say 10-20% of the active racers have school plays to go, motors to rebuild, turkeys to carve, or similar.

Still simple math. The bigger the pool of available cars, the less noticeable a few taking the night off for various reasons is.[/QUOTE]

OS, You know as well as I do, if a track is open we are going to try to run it.

I did not say for the tracks to close, but let me tell you this, tracks should close during the summer heavy rain months, to sit at the track and watch it flood is not fun.

Tracks have become accustomed to run the supers almost every week of the month, let me ask you this, who has that type of money anymore?

Exnyer, it’s been a problem for awhile. I used to have a SLM, and roller as back-up and a bare chassis, and two engines mounted in cradles ready to go. Then they started allowing $20-$30K engines to cripple the sport. I sold everything and bought two open wheels. Then that division started with the same BS. It is hitting the Sportsman’s now and the Mod Minis. Track Owners do not care…they think the rich guys are the ones that float this sport locally…sorry but me being a business owner and my ignorance of having the ability to complete a 4-year degree in Business tells me TRACK OWNERS HAVE IT ALL WRONG and they think we are just dumb race car drivers…car counts are shrinking because of the costs associated with these rich guy engine and body rules…Track Owners think ALL the SLM are just going to pour into their tracks because of high purses, how is that working out? All track rules are geared to let cars run interchangeably at essentially all florida tracks. Great idea, but it has killed car counts at tracks. I think everybody liked the concept, but its not working. So when you pair the COST to field a car (along with all other expenses) and the money needed to remain competitive in your division, the track owners have killed the sport. Middle class fans and drivers are what make the local race tracks thrive…its nothing but class warfare…tracks owners need to work together and drop the standoffish attitudes.:anim_pound:

I can sum my response up in one word…

Exactly!

Almost every bitch I’ve seen on this thread relates to asphalt racing.
Really, when is the last time the dirt world bitched this much?
Dollar for dollar, dirt is cheaper, more fun… and more SUSTAINABLE.
Wreck a Dirt car… it’s a ball busting week…
Wreck an asphalt car… max out the credit card, and maybe see you in a month

I do not know anything about dirt, I do not care to know anything about dirt.

Me personally it does not interest me, I am an asphalt guy.

“Dollar for dollar, dirt is cheaper…”--Frasson

Help me out here. Let’s take a late model. Chassis, motor, tranny, rear end, body, tars, all of it…they have all that stuff.

Now, I know that tire costs are cheaper, and that is significant, but it would appear that although car construction may be a little different, the costs would be similar.

Additionally, as dirt owners have confirmed, all components are subjected to a generally more abusive treatment due to the loading and unloading of…everything.

So…excepting the tire bill, and possibly excepting less crash damage, where are the savings?

Although I prefer asphalt, it always appeared to me that many more simply prefer dirt, and spend the money to field a car on it. But no…?

“[Tracks scheduling on top of each other is the reason that asphalt racing]continually limps along on life support, year after year, never really thriving, until a track owner runs out of money and patience and the next guy comes in thinking that he will be the one with the magic formula. It will survive, but is it really considered living?”–Weft

Remember, Yoho has posted next year’s schedule. Somebody has to go first, the others could have, and now they can schedule around that–if they want to.

It ain’t like we got unlimited cars in each division, and it ain’t like they don’t know it.

Re: Considered living?? Come on, you were at Showtime last weekend. The answer is a resounding “YES”!

[QUOTE=Frasson118;165895]Almost every bitch I’ve seen on this thread relates to asphalt racing.
Really, when is the last time the dirt world bitched this much?
Dollar for dollar, dirt is cheaper, more fun… and more SUSTAINABLE.
Wreck a Dirt car… it’s a ball busting week…
Wreck an asphalt car… max out the credit card, and maybe see you in a month[/QUOTE]

Maybe no dirt guys bitch on here, because this is a 99.9% asphalt message board? Does that make any sense to you??

I also have no interest in dirt at all.

I am not bitching about anything, I am trying to save asphalt racing, by going back to single file restarts, to in turn get the car count back up!!

If you need to max out credit cards to race, you may want to drop down a few classes, race within your means.

“single file restarts”, Vince

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;165898]"[Tracks scheduling on top of each other is the reason that asphalt racing]continually limps along on life support, year after year, never really thriving, until a track owner runs out of money and patience and the next guy comes in thinking that he will be the one with the magic formula. It will survive, but is it really considered living?"–Weft

Remember, Yoho has posted next year’s schedule. Somebody has to go first, the others could have, and now they can schedule around that–if they want to.

It ain’t like we got unlimited cars in each division, and it ain’t like they don’t know it.

Re: Considered living?? Come on, you were at Showtime last weekend. The answer is a resounding “YES”![/QUOTE]

That is part of the problem OS.

Showtime has put a schedule out already and everyone else can schedule around it.

If the tracks would work together then there would be a schedule that works for a majority of the racers, tracks and fans. By one tracks picking it’s dates and everyone else filling in the blank dates now there is an overlap or the same class running at 2 or even 3 tracks the same night.

It simply cannot work this way!

Ex,

Would respectfully disagree. There are two tracks doing well right now. Mostly, their cars do not travel to the other track. There was one modified that I know of at St Pete from NSS last weekend, and they chose not to try to make the main.

That said, in bidness, and particularly in racing, it is all about the benjamin’s, and Yoho has got 'em.

Why should he worry about what (fill in the blank) is doing?

Conversely speaking, they have got his schedule, and about 30% is sprint cars. There should be ample dates to schedule around Showtime.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd if Desoto schedules around that, then it is up to Auburndale to schedule around both dates, IMO, and so on.

Look, if there are late models at “X” raceway on a given date, the guy that schedules more late models at his venue last is the one that created the issue, IMO.

It’s always been called, “dibbs”.

ps–Exner, am not trying to be insulting, here…

I raced on dirt for several years here in St. Augustine, and I was so glad when they paved it. I used to hate having to scrape 50 lbs of mud out of the car every week. I did it because it was 2 miles from me, but I don’t miss it. That said, I think it is cheaper, but I just am not interested.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;165911]Ex,

Would respectfully disagree. There are two tracks doing well right now. Mostly, their cars do not travel to the other track. There was one modified that I know of at St Pete from NSS last weekend, and they chose not to try to make the main.

That said, in bidness, and particularly in racing, it is all about the benjamin’s, and Yoho has got 'em.

Why should he worry about what (fill in the blank) is doing?

Conversely speaking, they have got his schedule, and about 30% is sprint cars. There should be ample dates to schedule around Showtime.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnd if Desoto schedules around that, then it is up to Auburndale to schedule around both dates, IMO, and so on.

Look, if there are late models at “X” raceway on a given date, the guy that schedules more late models at his venue last is the one that created the issue, IMO.

It’s always been called, “dibbs”.

ps–Exner, am not trying to be insulting, here…[/QUOTE]

I did not take it as insulting, we are good.

To me, it really does not matter because we are all used to the track schedules being messed up down here.

I think the bottom lines that we all have to get used to is, the tracks will never work together. It is obvious that they are happy with the shows that they are presenting, with the car counts that they are getting and the fans they have in the stands. They must be happy with the money that they are making so until they want to change, business as usual.

Re: bidness as usual.

Indeed, but it doesn’t make sense to me, either.

Let’s see, Yoho has a SLM race on this date, let me just schedule mine there as well. I might get a few cars that do not feel they will be competitive at Showtime, but basically I just ensured myself a weak field.

I don’t get it. The only explanation that I can think of would involve the word “ego”.

Joe,

Rothman’s sponsored a SAY WHAT?? in the Paris to Dakar Rally/Race/Death Defying Act in '86!

Some dirt, some rocks, some AK47s along the way…

They did okay, too.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;165898]"[Tracks scheduling on top of each other is the reason that asphalt racing]continually limps along on life support, year after year, never really thriving, until a track owner runs out of money and patience and the next guy comes in thinking that he will be the one with the magic formula. It will survive, but is it really considered living?"–Weft

Re: Considered living?? Come on, you were at Showtime last weekend. The answer is a resounding “YES”![/QUOTE]

I would consider Showtime the exception. And that is bc it has good fields in its backbone classes. I pay just to watch those. I can’t consider NSS to be in that class. Take away the Sportsman class, and the fields are rather uninpressive, especially for a track of that size. But if we are talking asphalt racing in the state as a whole, it’s really just treading water, barely alive.

NSS has the “World Series of Stock Car Racing” going on, and they are in good shape financially.

They have NSS-dedicated cars and fans.

So…they do not have to care what 3 plams is doing.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;165918]NSS has the “World Series of Stock Car Racing” going on, and they are in good shape financially.

They have NSS-dedicated cars and fans.

So…they do not have to care what 3 plams is doing.[/QUOTE]

Haha, 3 plams

OS, NSS is a track of it’s own kind and very few of the teams travel outside of it.

But, if showtime, citrus, auburndale and desoto actually got together and worked together that could turn out to be something good.

Counterpoint:

If Citrus, Auburndale, and Desoto followed Yoho’s lead regarding rules and dates, life would be easier for them.