Some Great Drivers...

1. Largo native Dave McGinnis after a win at the old Orlando track on Landstreet Road… Dave won everywhere he went in Mods, Sportsman, Late Models, Supermods etc… First winner of the 200 lap Late Model race at Golden Gate Speedway in 1963 that morphed into the Governor’s Cup race two years later… Unfortunately Dave perished when his plane crashed into Tampa Bay sometime in the early-1970s, I believe… (Charlie Creco Photo)
  2. One of the top drivers at Palm Beach in the 1970s-80s was the late Vaughn Heath… His regular car was #00 but he drove, and won, for many car owners during his career… This great photo by Henry McKenzie…
  3. John Pettit from South FL had a short but very good racing career… He really loved the fast tracks and would run Hobby/LLM at Palm Beach with his green #41 on Friday night then go north to run the same machine in the Thunder Car class at New Smyrna… There were several weeks that he won the features at both tracks! (Henry McKenzie Photo)
  4. Phil Finney of Merritt Island raced everywhere from the short tracks at Eau Gallie, Ft. Pierce and Palm Beach to NASCAR at Daytona and Talladega… Had a few spectacular wrecks along the way too… (Henry McKenzie Photo)
  5. How many of you old-timers remember Bob Cloutier? Bob raced Supermodifieds in the Northeast and would come down to race in Florida during the Winter months as a teammate to Ollie Silva… Shown here with one of the Sunshine Speedway “Racestoppers”… The car in the background looks to be the #1 Robert Delgado Sprinter that was driven by Donnie Tanner…

These photos and more on my Florida racing history site at www.floridastockcars.com

Bob Cloutier collection).jpg

Keep em coming Dave…no one knows the history of Florida racing as you do…I appreciate everything you do for the sport…and I super like it when you do the announcing… you have forgotten more than others will ever know about drivers/teams/owners and race tracks… a Living Legend that we are lucky enough to have…OSF

I couldn’t agree more with OSF. Dave is a local icon, and like EF Hutton… when Westerman speaks, people listen…!!!