Completely Unofficial New Smyrna Wet Recap 6/30/16

It rained. And then it rained some more. After that it rained.

Sportsman:
Eventually, sometime after 10pm, they lined up the Sportsman cars and actually got a race in. Earl Beckner has a sharp new #71 that looks much like the old car, excepting that it is a little slicker and a little faster.

He motored off and was being chased by the #22 of Shyanne Mathers, who was running him down at the finish, but ran out of time.

After coming from the rear of the field, Patrick Thomas finished third, but had nothing for the front two on this evening.

Late Models:
Had not only a big field of cars but a strong field of cars. They got only a few laps in before the rains once again started falling.

A rain-makeup date has not yet been rescheduled, but will be.

The Story:
When the rains finally lifted, brave souls took to the track to dry it. In everything from little bombers to big 'ol four by fours. And they were all pretty much wide open. And frequently three wide. There was a particularly spirited battle between an S-10 pickemup truck and a vintage wrecker.

I kept waiting for the loud “ka-boom” of sheet metal vs concrete, but thankfully it never came.

There were a few hardy fans that stuck it out, and they apparently kept the beer stand busy. Every time a more-crazy-than-most truck came by they were whooping it up down at the front straight fence. Lap after lap.

Thanks to all that helped with that effort. They were directly responsible for getting the Sportsman feature in.

Thanks OldSchool+ we “The Old Farts Touring Fan Group” were waiting to…

[SIZE=“5”]Thanks OldSchool+ we “The Old Farts Touring Fan Group” were waiting to leave St. Pete to head over, but the weather made us wait till it just wasn’t worth the two hour road trip. THANKS for the up date. Hope to see you at the make up date!!![/SIZE]:(:(:(:frowning:

Thanks to those who stuck around, at least we got the sportsman feature in. It was a crazy night for sure. Mother Nature is just not a race fan this weekend.

Long night for sure and kudos to the track for trying to get this race in. My race shoes are outside drying now…
Not to take away from the Sportsman race, but the great entertainment last night was those out there drying the track. Was waiting to hear the ‘boom’ too :blink:
-GYM-

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;170474]It rained. And then it rained some more. After that it rained.

Sportsman:
Eventually, sometime after 10pm, they lined up the Sportsman cars and actually got a race in. Earl Beckner has a sharp new #71 that looks much like the old car, excepting that it is a little slicker and a little faster.

He motored off and was being chased by the #22 of Shyanne Mathers, who was running him down at the finish, but ran out of time.

After coming from the rear of the field, Patrick Thomas finished third, but had nothing for the front two on this evening.

Late Models:
Had not only a big field of cars but a strong field of cars. They got only a few laps in before the rains once again started falling.

A rain-makeup date has not yet been rescheduled, but will be.

The Story:
When the rains finally lifted, brave souls took to the track to dry it. In everything from little bombers to big 'ol four by fours. And they were all pretty much wide open. And frequently three wide. There was a particularly spirited battle between an S-10 pickemup truck and a vintage wrecker.

I kept waiting for the loud “ka-boom” of sheet metal vs concrete, but thankfully it never came.

There were a few hardy fans that stuck it out, and they apparently kept the beer stand busy. Every time a more-crazy-than-most truck came by they were whooping it up down at the front straight fence. Lap after lap.

Thanks to all that helped with that effort. They were directly responsible for getting the Sportsman feature in.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your report OS, but from what I read, there was only 3 cars in the race. Maybe I just can’t read. Now I know there was more cars there then that when I left. With Earl having a new car and all,we still like to hear that all is well after tect. Once again, Thanks for you report, because alot of times it’s the only one for days after.Just look at Week10, it was posted on 6/29

That’s where the “completely unofficial” part comes in.

I mostly write what I found interesting about an evening, hoping that it will be interesting for others, and what I can recall.

If you were there on a given night, feel free to add to the report and if you have any questions, please ask. Who knows, I might know the answer.

On the rainy evening, tech was short and everyone was legal, I believe.

Again, my report is optional, and as far as I know, so is the one from any track.

Perhaps look at it this way: No report = bidness as usual. Report = bonus! :huepfen024: