Watermelon Capital Speedway - Bubba Pollard Wins

After a very disappointing summer season here in Florida I decided to head a bit north for my first visit to Georgia’s Watermelon Capital Speedway. After watching Bubba Pollard win the 125 lap Southern Super race over Stephen Nasse, Chandler Smith, Casey Roderick, Connor Okrzesik, we made a vow to return to this track in the future. Well kept track, beautiful setting, fantastic crowd, low concession prices (how about a buck for an order of fries), excellent nachos, and a great evening of racing. Well run program. Weekly divisions, despite single numbers in everything but Karts, were a joy to watch. The 125 lap super race, which had seventeen supers in the starting lineup was a heck of a race for about the first 45 laps. Bubba Pollard took the lead at that point and although he had strong competition from Nasse and 15 year old Chandler Smith, a driver to watch in the future as he held the lead for fourteen laps, he survived a series of restarts and won the race pulling away. Very good show. Choquette put up a fight and was going for second when he had a right front issue which sidelined him from the race on lap 91. Also Sergi spun on the backstretch heading into three on lap 41 but recovered nicely to finish 7th. Garrett Smith was 10th. Much more but out of space. Nice trip with some great Georgia Ba-b-que along the way…

Denman,

It was an awesome weekend!!! Great weather and great hospitality. The Southern Super Series officials treated us teams from Florida like we were royalty!!! What a great group of racers to race with also. Everyone (well, almost everybody) was very respectable of each other’s equipment and it showed on the racetrack. Although we took the penalty in qualifying and had to start scratch on the field we still worked our way back up running the high line (not the place to be).

Five of the six Florida drivers finished inside the top 10. Unfortunately for Choquette he was the only Florida driver (that I know of) to finish outside of the top 10 and it look like he had a top 3 car.

I would like to give a tip of the hat to the officials of the Southern Super Series and also general manager of five flags speedway Tim Bryant for making us feel welcome and at home. We are looking forward to racing with you guys again soon. Keep up the good work!!!

Andrew Dunn

Some of the best track owners and operators anywhere are from that area and the Bryants definitely lead the way.