Ministock trailer

I did a quick search on the forum and don’t see a “For Sale” section. I am not sure if “For Sale” ads are allowed here or not. If not, I’ll delete this post… much appreciated.

Now that I’m over 70 and having trouble with my eyesight, my racing days are over. I’ve sold all my racing cars, and it’s time to sell my old ministock trailer. It’s hard for me to believe, but I have been using this trailer for the past 45 years or so.

I bought the trailer at Florida City Speedway in about 1972 or 1973 for $25. It is possible that the trailer was originally built by my good friend Dana Barlow, but I am not sure of that. When I bought the trailer, the front cross beam was broken, and the coupler was a homemade one. To get the trailer operational, the front crossbeam was repaired, new lights were installed, a new 2" coupler was installed, and the triangular bracing was added to the sides. A year or two later, I installed a tire rack on the front of the trailer, but I removed that rack later when it was in the way when I was sports car racing. I took this ministock photo showing the tire rack at Old Dominion Speedway in Virginia in about 1976.

After I sold that ministock, I used the trailer to transport a number of vintage racing cars to the races, including my Lola T492 Sportsracer, and numerous Formula Ford racing cars.

Somewhere along the line, I added fenders to the trailer. I also used it to transport an MGA, and a Renault R-8. The MGA just barely fit on the trailer and is the longest wheelbase car that will fit. I also used the trailer to transport my Leyland 154 tractor from Michigan where I bought it to home, and then to a number of tractor shows after I had restored the tractor.

I also used it to transport a number of mini-sprint race cars.

The last race car I had was a DAARA midget that I towed to a number of vintage oval events all over the country. I bolted on the wood planks on the back to support the wide midget tires on that car.

I also bolted on the wood planking in the center of the trailer, so that I could carry ATVs and motorcycles. All of the wood pieces can be unbolted and discarded it you don’t want them. About the time I removed the tire rack, I installed fenders on the trailer and the hand-crank winch on the front.

The trailer has towed racing cars to better than half of the states east of the Mississippi River and back, and has made more than a dozen trips between Florida and Maryland. The tires look new, but are perhaps 20 years old.

The beauty of the trailer is that it is light, is very low, and tows extremely well. The holes in the perforated steel plating (PSP) runway matting give you plenty of places to attach ratchet hold down straps. The axle might be from some kind of old and perhaps even pre-war Chrysler product. I am guessing because I bought three very nice wheels for it from a mid 50s Chrysler sedan 30 years ago to replace the original wheels which had been homemade with the large center hole flame cut with a torch.

I’m asking $200 as-is for the trailer if you plan to use it to tow a small race car to the races. If you plan to use it for towing a ministock, minisprint, or DAARA midget, I’ll accept a low offer. If you come to look at it, please bring cash, a tow vehicle with a 2 inch ball with about a 13 inch top of ball height, and a standard 4-pin flat trailer light plug, The trailer is currently registered in Florida in my name, and I have the registration card ready for transfer to you. It would be very hard to find a trailer with this much racing history. I’m giving Florida racers on Karnac first dibs before I put it on Craigslist tomorrow. The trailer is located at my house in Beverly Hills, Florida, about 20 miles from Citrus County Speedway. Please respond to this posting if you are interested… much appreciated.

trailer

I believe Harold Perry still uses a single axel trailer to pull his #56 outlaw modified.

Thx for the story, vintage.

Everything you had on that trailer was pretty cool.

Now on craigslist

Now on craigslist at:

https://ocala.craigslist.org/tro/d/racing-car-trailer-also-good/6526483098.html

Sold to an ATV guy… wish it had been to a Florida racer…