Congress considers NASCAR hazardous?

House aides visiting racetrack advised to get immunized

LISA ZAGAROLI - McClatchy Newspapers

NASCAR fans might seem rabid, but are they actually contagious?

Getting a hepatitis shot is standard procedure for travelers to parts of Africa and Asia, but some congressional aides were instructed to get immunized before going to Lowe’s Motor Speedway in Concord and the racetrack in Talladega, Ala.

The House Homeland Security Committee planned a fact-finding trip about public health preparedness at mass gatherings and decided to conduct the research at two of the nation’s most heavily attended sporting events, NASCAR’s Bank of America 500 event this weekend and the UAW-Ford 500 last weekend.

Staff who organized the trips advised the NASCAR-bound aides to get a range of vaccines before attending – hepatitis A, hepatitis B, tetanus, diphtheria and influenza.

Rep. Robin Hayes, a Republican from Concord, took umbrage when he heard about it.

“I have never heard of immunizations for domestic travel, and as the representative for Concord, N.C., I feel compelled to ask why the heck the committee feels that immunizations are needed to travel to my hometown,” Hayes said in an Oct. 5 letter to Rep. Bennie Thompson, D-Miss., who chairs the Homeland Security panel.

“I have been to numerous NASCAR races, and the folks who attend these events certainly do not pose any health hazard to congressional staffers or anyone else,” Hayes added.

Lauri Wilks, vice president of communications for Speedway Motorsports, which owns Lowe’s Motor Speedway and other tracks, said Wednesday that immunizations aren’t needed for the race.

“There’s no health risk that we know of,” she said, laughing. “We have never had any disease outbreak during one of our weekends.”

The four aides were asked to explore public health issues at events involving large gatherings, such as how law enforcement and medical personnel would respond to an act of terrorism or other emergency. Lawmakers weren’t part of the trip.

The staffers traveled to Talladega last weekend, and are scheduled to be at Lowe’s Motor Speedway this weekend.

Thompson said the immunizations are commonly recommended for people working in hospitals, holding centers and similar locations.

“Since committee staff members are visiting hospital and other health-care facilities available at or near these venues, including areas where groups of people are detained before being transferred to other off-site facilities, I believe that the recommendation (not requirement) that our congressional staff receive these same immunizations was sound,” Thompson said in a letter responding to Hayes issued Wednesday.

“I am sure you would agree that providing immunizations to personnel involved in public safety is good public health policy, and there is no need to exclude staff from taking the preventative measures that the public health community recommends – regardless of why and where mass gatherings are taking place,” Thompson said in the letter.

Jim Walker, Alabama’s director of homeland security, said the congressional committee aides who visited Talladega worked hard. He said they were trying to determine whether the state and federal emergency response system was adequate to handle a situation at such a large event.

“I might have been a little skeptical about this visit coming in, but these folks worked,” Walker said.

He said the aides went on patrols with law enforcement, toured facilities and interviewed first responders, hazardous materials teams and other officials.

Walker said he hadn’t recommended the immunizations, nor were they necessary. He suggested a possible health risk to them was the voluminous notes they took.

“I’m sure they needed to soak their wrists, they wrote so much,” he said

I hate to say it, but this is just another example of prejudice. The pointy headed elitests in DC think we’re all a bunch of beer swilling, toothless, nose pickin’ hillbillies. And I’m not trying to be funny when I say that, either.

I don’t think it’s prejudice, it’s just another example of the drug companies trying to push drugs on us.

BJ, when you and I grew up we probably had about 7 or 8 shots our whole childhood.

Do you know how many shots are REQUIRED for kids now between birth and first grade? OVER 60.

How many of these are necessary? I’m beginning to wonder. Most of them are completely useless, have not been proven to reduce chance of disease, and just stuff the pockets of drug companies.

Things have been discovered about Tetanus now that show that the famous “Tetanus shot” is now completely useless in preventing it, and in fact improved sanitary conditions related to drinking water have stopped any chance of tetanus.

Think they’re going to stop the shot? Not at $60 a pop they won’t. “Not gonna happen”

It just proves they think we are below them.:sprachlos020:

John, I respect a lot of what you say. But this statement, (“How many of these are necessary? I’m beginning to wonder. Most of them are completely useless, have not been proven to reduce chance of disease, and just stuff the pockets of drug companies.”) You must be kidding. Let me mention just a few diseases we don’t worry about anymore, because of immunizations. Polio, measles, mumps, and smallpox. Surely you must remember these. I’m not sure but the medical industry could probably make more money by treating these diseases than by preventing them. You do have my curiousty peaked though. I’ve never heard tetanus being related to bad drinking water. I’m going to research that.

As far as predjudice, these diseases don’t care who they attack. I once ran a restaurant that catered to the sport of polo. One of the participants became ill and was diagnosed with a very contagious form of menningitis. (Could have been hepatitis, I can’t remember.) Anyway, we all were quarantined and had to have shots. The restaurant was closed for a short time. Very inconvienient. The disease didn’t care whether these were the wine and cheese crowd or the beer guzzling crowd. Fact is, I saw these people drink more beer than wine and most of them could keep up with any redneck racefan. :slight_smile:

Winger those 6 were available when I was growing up and I do believe they may be of some value (although lately I am becoming more skeptical.)

But over 60 shots? COME ON!!!

How much mercury is that building up in my kids’ bloodstream?

By the way I had shots for Measles, Mumps and Chicken Pox and yet I still got them as a kid - so much for the vaccines.

too many chemicals!

i have to agree with john on this one. we are injecting and consuming so many chemicals in our bodies that the natural chemicals in our bodies wont work alone anymore.
our kids are being turned into drug addicts before they are 6! they dont know it when they are six but in time they will. just about every child who is restless, cant concentrate, or gets antsy is treated for ADD or ADHD! they are given drugs (Ritalin etc. ) mind altering drugs that cause serious side effects!.. we are not allowed to discipline anymore and we have young teachers who cannot control 40-50 kids at a time so they anesthetize them. this i know. bobby was having problems concentrating in school. he was tested and immediately given drugs! his emotions became so confused. he would be so calm one second and then go into a hysterical rage. his mom and i both realized this was not normal behavior for bobby so we stopped all drugs and visits to dr. who prescribed them. we took him to a lady who deals with accupressure. she worked with him for two weeks and bobby is now a normal little boy again with no temper outbursts. plus he is doing well in school… many of our friends tried the same thing and their kids are doing much better. why are suicides in young children up? because their brains are being altered…because no one has time for them. mind altering drugs! and drugs they have to take for illnesses that no longer exist! like john said… its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
just my opinion but im allowed. OH! before you jump all over me, i do believe in medicine…and i do believe that some vaccinations help… but would you give a child in school chemo therapy before he is ever diagnosed with cancer?
carolwicks

Exaggeration always leads to hysteria.

60 shots between birth and first grade?

Sorry John but unless you are taking your grand kid to an accupuncturist, I think you’ve rounded UP a little too high on the needle pokes. My kids had every one of their scheduled checkups and vaccinations during that time in their lives and I’m pretty sure the total fell way below 20 for each of them.

60?

I will say it makes your argument sound pretty good but if you let your kid endure that kind of treatment then who is more at fault? You or the drug companies and/or doctors you want to blame? You say “things” have been discovered about tetanus shots that show them to be completey useless in preventing it. What things have they discovered? And who and what labratory came up with these findings? What procedures and testing variables and constants did they exercise? My point is that numbers and “facts”, in the hands of professional spin doctors can be made to “show” any results you want/need them to show. Even the National Enquirer gets it wrong from time to time. And I think the point has been made numerous times now not to trust what we read on the Internet.

Myself, I’m glad for the advancements in medicine and treatment techniques we have in the world today. There is still a lot of road ahead but maybe one day one of these reckless and freewheeling labrats will finally hit on something that can cure cancer. Or reverse the effects of muscular dystrophy. Or any one of the other terrible afflictions an unlucky kid would have to live with.

Or we could just do nothing and sit back and wait for God to heal them all, like the good Christian Scientists would have us do. “Pray hard enough and your legs will be normal, Jimmy. Ohhh. See? You’re faith isn’t strong enough so you are being punished.” What a crock.

One thing I wouldn’t do, though, is send my loved one to an unlicensed and unrecognized “massage therapist” to be experimented on. To me THAT is cause for investigation. If an adult chooses to roll the dice with unproven and ancient “magic cures” using their own body that’s well and good. But leave the kid’s health to someone who has a diploma on the wall. And not one from some late-night, infomercial company.

Here’s something no one ever wants to think is “the problem”. Maybe the problem with a kid’s behavior is related to his/her environment and how he is being raised. No one ever wants to think that THEY may be contributing to the problem a child is having in his life and the kids actions are representative of THEIR actions. Maybe the kid doesn’t need the treatments as much as the adult does.

See? Exaggeration DOES always lead to hysteria.

Mine.

Cuz I have some more.

This is for BJ.

Did you read the article? The whole article? How about just this part:

“Since committee staff members are visiting hospital and other health-care facilities available at or near these venues, including areas where groups of people are detained before being transferred to other off-site facilities, I believe that the recommendation (not requirement) that our congressional staff receive these same immunizations was sound,” Thompson said in a letter responding to Hayes issued Wednesday.

Where does that come close to saying that “the pointy headed elitests in DC think we’re all a bunch of beer swilling, toothless, nose pickin’ hillbillies?” If these staffers were going to have direct contact with anybody in these large groups of people who may have one of the contagious diseases mentioned, don’t you think it prudent to employ a little CYA and immunize your people beforehand? What if they were sending you?

Don’t jump to conclusions based on what you read. Seems like I’ve heard that somewhere before. Where did I see that…

Let me know when yer Jonesin for some more Osmosis.

63 shots. Everyone of them REQUIRED by the Orange County Public School system, or we can not let our child attend.

I’m guessing you don’t have a 6 yr old.

As for advancements in medicine, yes there have been some, but still, the #1 killer today, ahead of heart disease (#2) and cancer (#3) is MEDICATION.

Research it! You’ll be surprised.

By the way she’s my DAUGHTER not my granddaughter! Just how old do you think I am???

John,
I’ve tried not to respond further to your posts but you are so far off base it’s ridiculous. You must be a salesman, insurance man, or a lawyer. Here’s some facts:

The number 1 killer in America is Heart disease. Number 2 is Cancer. Number 3 is Iatrogenesis.

Have you ever heard of iatrogenesis? The word doesn’t even sound that harmful. It comes from two Greek words ? iatros ? meaning physician, and genesis ? meaning created. Yes, the number 3 killer in America is death by doctor.

Death by doctor includes several types of problems:

* unnecessary surgery, resulting in death
* medication errors and other types of errors
* fatal drug reactions
* infections from hospitals 

This information is from The Journal of the American Medical Association.

Are you suggesting we stop using doctors? If you decide to respond with any more ridiculous statements, please cite your sources. Let me know where you found out that tetanus was caused by bad drinking water. I did research that statement also, and couldn’t find a single source that verified it. I will agree that medication is too often used when it shouldn’t be. But stating that immunizations (whether it’s 20 or 63) are unsafe, is misleading, irresponsible, and outrageous; or just uneducated. Some of these medicines weren’t available when I was young and I also had the diseases. Then again, I never had mumps and I wasn’t immunized. I’m very thankful my kids had their shots and didn’t have to suffer illnesses that other generations suffered.

BTW, I believe I’m about a year older than you.

The chiropractic journal puts it #1, but yeah we mean the same thing. “Death by Doctors and Drugs” - not sure who is a better source, AMA or ICA.

Here is a quote from an interesting site:

The total number of iatrogenic [induced inadvertently by a physician or surgeon or by medical treatment or diagnostic procedures] deaths shown in the following table is 783,936.

It is evident that the American medical system is the leading cause of death and injury in the United States. The 2001 heart disease annual death rate is 699,697; the annual cancer death rate, 553,251. 5

The site is Advanced Scientific Health exposes Leading Cause of Death

It is true that I am a doctor skeptic - I do not assume that someone with a “Dr.” before their name knows more about my body than I do. They have been trained yes, but I’ve lived in it for 50 years!

We can’t go without doctors, I agree - BUT - I am very careful how I pick my doctors. If they are just pill pushers I go somewhere else. Especially if they are trying to push the latest, expensive fancy named cover up for aspirin drugs.

I said Tetanus is caused by drinking water, and that was a mis-statement because I don’t believe that. I should have said dirty water. It used to be believed that it was caused by rusty nails, but my latest information says it is caused from bacteria found in feces, which can be found in dirty water sources such as rivers, streams, etc, when a swimmer uses them with an open wound.

This is from tetanus.org, which by the way is funded by the people that bring you those expensive tetanus shots:

Tetanus is a serious disease that is caused by bacteria found in dust, soil, and manure

Man you don’t look a day over thirty!:aetsch013:

30 score years? LOL

From the Florida Immunization Guide:

A. Public/Non-Public Schools K-12 (children entering, attending, or
transferring to Florida schools):
Four or five doses of diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis vaccine thats 12 to 15 there
Three or four doses of polio vaccine 3 or 4 more
Two doses of measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine1 6 more
Two or three doses of hepatitis B vaccine 2 or 3 more
Two doses of varicella vaccine (kindergarten effective school year
2008/2009, then each year an additional grade) 3 for first grade

So that’s 20 to 28 just for Immunizations

Not to mention the ameoba shots, flu shots, skin rash prevention and other BS that Orange County requires on top of that.