Sunshine speedway today

Don’t forget the first SS Figure 8 World Champion

Don’t forget SS had two Figure 8 World Champions.

Before Lester won it in 1970, Aaron Collar won it in 1969 -

OSF you bring up old memories of Figure 8 racing at Sunshine in the late 60’s and early 70’s. You are right about Lester’s equipment,also remember him having great motors. The top driver has to be Dan “NO GUTS NO GLORLY” Daughtry from his era. Dan was the man to beat in the black and white 45 sponsored by the Showboat Lounge. Dan had plenty of worthy challengers including Butch Johnston, Denny Myer,Aaron Collier, Tom Brown, Lester Sloan, Elmer Siefert and C.S Oaks. How about the battle between Bill Miller and the Meyers. Sure miss the sound of those straight sixes down the straightaways. Remember the switch to big tires and V-8’s hurt the side by side racing.

[B][I]I’ll never forget the first time I went to Sunshine for Figure 8 fifty lapper and over 25 cars I believe lined up for the feature.

Out of all the tracks I have been to in Florida (dirt and asphalt) I have never seen the competion and racing levels raised to such a high intesnsity as at that little 1/4 mile.

I sure do miss my trips over the Skyway to Sunshine “Action” Speedway.[/I][/B]

dou recoginize any one?

See if you know any one here. Excuse the quality, they are grabbed from a 20 year old video. Thanks Bob…

sunshinef8 001.jpg

sunshinef8 004.jpg

sunshinef8 005.jpg

sunshinef8 007.jpg

sunshinef8 010.jpg

Heres a few more. Can you guess what year and what show? Bob…

sunshinef8 015.jpg

sunshinef8 017.jpg

sunshinef8 020.jpg

sunshinef8 024.jpg

sunshinef8 039.jpg

Here are some more of same program. Bob…

sunshinef8 025.jpg

sunshinef8 042.jpg

sunshinef8 032.jpg

sunshinef8 044.jpg

sunshinef8 045.jpg

Might be a little after we stoped running there…but I’d bet that that’s Grynewicz’s #40 in that first pic in the background, and Clyde Cole towed in from Bradenton in the red #7 Camaro. That black #5 is one of the former Mad Hatter cars, and it’s probably Robbie Powell, I believe. :wink: I’d guess the show is the Figure-8 Winternationals.

What do I win? LOL

You got a lot of them Jimmy. The pic on the end is John Lavale and Bill Miller is with him. That #5 is Bill Miller I think. You got the show right. 1989 Winternational Figure Eight Championships. That yellow #41 I think is Grynewicz’s son or son in law. The #41 was DQ’d in tech and the #28 was a guy from Islip NY. What car was Robbie Powells, I can’t remember? Bob…

the 28 is Roger Maynor from n.y. so is the 41 that was Tommy Kraft from n.y. too the world championship is now held in Indianapolis it’s a 3 hr figure 8 race with no rules on car construction or motor some very fast cars

Sunshine

The #41 Is Not Related To #40 Of Paul Grynewicz. He Was From Ny. And He Got Screwed With The Dq. If You Go Through Inspection Before The Race And The Officials Approve Everything How Can It Be Wrong After The Race.

I realize now the #41 wasn’t related to Paul. I think his kid was #44. I didn’t remember the DQ till I got the old master tape out. I remember now that you say, there was some complaining about it. By the nature of the beast when I work a track I have to stay out of those things in a neutral position. When I get time I will go into my old masters and look for more Sunshine stuff. I taped there quite a bit over the years. Thanks Bob…

i miss those glory days

i think the 41 was George Brown fom riverhead Tommy Kraft was probally in the 6 or 9 car

Bumping this old topic back to the top

With all of the news about the possible reopening of Sunshine Speedway, I thought it would be fun to look back at this old topic/thread.

In the opening post by flvideo you can see what the track looked like 4 years ago with the toll booth testing. Nice job, flvideo! Happy that Godzilla didn’t hurt you. LOL

Posts # 22, 23, 24 and 25 have a lot of good photo memories from “back in the day”.

A lot of good memories by many other posters in this thread make for some good reading.

I sure would like to see TBARA sprint cars at Sunshine Speedway again! :ernaehrung004:

(Does anyone see photos in Jim Fenton’s posts # 19 and 20? I only see red X’s that I can’t get to show photos)

LOL Bob

Glad godzilla didnt get ya

Yeah me too. Nobody told me about that sucker…

Wow is this Bob and Rose Shmit?? I feel so old looking at the photos. My life was
this track. Vikki Paquette as you all might remember. My mom Karen and my dad Vel. My aunt is Cheryl Davis.

[QUOTE=Paquette;134767]Wow is this Bob and Rose Shmit?? I feel so old looking at the photos. My life was
this track. Vikki Paquette as you all might remember. My mom Karen and my dad Vel. My aunt is Cheryl Davis.[/QUOTE]No, it’s not Bob and Rose.

That “Bob” that posted the pictures was Bob Ellison from down south (of Bradenton area).

Too many Bob’s!

Bob Culbertson posted these originally!

[QUOTE=flvideo;134845]Bob Culbertson posted these originally![/QUOTE]Damn. :stuck_out_tongue:

I apologize, Mr. Culbertson. LOL…sorry.

You’re right…too many “Bobs”, especially on FaceBook.

no problem Jimmy!