Man Dies at Daytona Petty Driving Experience

:engel016:Man Dies at Daytona Petty Driving Experience

Filed under: Daytona Int’l Speedway, NASCAR Tracks

Some tragic news from the Daytona Beach News Journal:

A 60-year-old Apopka man died after he crashed while driving a Richard Petty Driving Experience car at the Daytona Beach International Speedway, authorities and family members said today.

Robert Boswell was taking part in the Richard Petty Driving Experience, a program where fans pay to get behind the wheel of a NASCAR car, said his son, Greg Boswell. The crash occurred about 5 p.m. Sunday, police said. Robert Boswell was taken to Halifax Health Medical Center where he was declared dead at about 7 p.m.

An autopsy report released this afternoon showed he died of a heart attack and not from the crash.

The rest of the article goes on to state that Boswell was heading into turn one at the legendary 2.5 mile speedway when he began driving erratically before making contact with the inside of the turn 2 wall.

According to an RPDE spokesperson, Boswell had turned a lap around 125mph just before the crash. By comparison, NASCAR Sprint Cup teams had driven laps above 188mph a few weeks back.

Regardless, you’ve definitely got to feel for his family, and though Mr. Boswell was likely enjoying his laps around Daytona, saying he went out in a good way doesn’t make the hurt go away for his family.

At the same time, I’d imagine the folks at RPDE are taking it hard though they couldn’t have done a thing about it.

What can we take from it? Do your family a favor and go get that annual check up.

They deserve it.

[SIZE=“5”]You know that if its your time to go, its your time. I just think that the Lord lets some go in a much better fashion than others![/SIZE] :grinser010:

As most of you know, I own a retired NASCAR Busch car equiped with a ride-a-long seat. My riders span in age from 16 to 75 years old. Most have been ‘screamers’ for the first 4 laps. One teenager gave me the thumbs down signal after only one lap, as per a pre-ride briefing signal in case they get sick. The teen was scared of the speed and G forces. The 75 year olds ride, bought by his wife for his birthday, was different. He was easy getting in the car but was frozen from fear and took a while to get him out of the window.
But I must say, if your gonna’ go------wow what a way.:engel016:
------JIM-------