Soaking Tires?

You mean it’s legal in Florida? Only you can’t go under a certain number on the durometer? What the heck?
Florida asphalt racing may be as screwed up as Georgia asphalt racing.

I listened to the speed51 show that had Ricky Brooks and Jeff Choquette, David Rogers and Tim Russell talking. Ricky Brooks said that they can’t punch lower than 42 and the top five were under that, one even like 36 he said. The way he talked, he did punch them more than once to make sure. When those failed, he had an official get Sommerville’s tires and then he checked B.J. and Brian’s and they were all fine.

I am not an expert on tires so please don’t kill me if I am wrong but listen to the show on speed51 about the tires and they tell you everything you need to know about this.

When you listen to Dillner talk about Wayne’s tire trailer and how he felt when he saw it, it helps you see the perception of outside racers. I say get rid of the durometer rule and go with the no soak…put them all on the same tire or make it an open tire rule… It’s a no brainer…

one word , impound !

New tires, soaked tires, track rental, double stacked toter homes, tire soaker trailers, $40,000 engines, $2000.00 shocks, $200.00 entry fees, chassis dyno time, shaker rigs, etc., etc., etc…For what? $1000.00 to win?
No wonder tracks can no longer attract large fields of late models anymore.

Not saying that impound cannot happen but…

Impound rules usually apply to new tires. Not all teams at speedweeks buy new tires everyday. I know that it could happen, but there will be alot of speculation as to the used tires being impounded.

I know everyone has alot of simple solutions but be the guy understaffed that has to police it.

It’s just not apllicable to speedweeks.

the penalties need to be more severe . hit em where it hurts might just make em honest .just like when we were all kids if you couldnt behave you sat in a corner .

I know…

But you can’t make a rule that you can’t legitimately enforce. Impound can only be enforced most accurately with new tires.

Nolt saying it can’t be done…

actually its simple , at the end of the nite each team is required to place the next nites feature tires in impound , new or used . tires are given back just before the main event AFTER durometer check . yes its more work and less time at the bar but it can be done .

Learn more about tech…

I say get rid of the durometer rule and go with the no soak

just how the heck do you think you’re supposed to enforce a “no soaking” rule if you won’t use a durometer?

I’m with Todd. No soak, put them all on the same tires.

Sorry Todd, didn’t read it right. You can’t get riid of the durometer, just the rule. Jeff at Hoosier can tell you the softest they would punch with 100 straight laps. That’s the rule. But if your caught soaking, or with soaking products, off the property you go.

??? enlighten us on that one .

Not buying tire sofeners is cost effective. tires cost too much already.
no soaking is way better.

I’m with Todd. No soak, put them all on the same tires.

scratches head

you ain’t picking up what i’m laying down, Tim.

most classes and tracks already ARE on spec tires. the way you prevent people from “tweaking” the spec tire is by testing it to make sure the compound is as hard as it’s supposed to be.

how do you test the compound for hardness? with a durometer.

if you aren’t going to have a durometer rule there is no point ( aside from putting money in the tracks wallet ) in having a spec tire.

[I]Soaking Tires?  You mean it's legal in Florida?[/I]

not that i’ve ever seen. the fact that you can buy “undetectable” soaking compound in the parts shed doesn’t mean it’s not against the rulebook, the soak is just supposed to be “good” enough that you won’t get thrown out for it.

the parts shed at many tracks down here is contracted out to a 3rd party and is not actually run by the track itself. so technically, it’s not the track encouraging racers to break the rule book.

Sorry Todd, didn’t read it right. You can’t get riid of the durometer, just the rule. Jeff at Hoosier can tell you the softest they would punch with 100 straight laps. That’s the rule. But if your caught soaking, or with soaking products, off the property you go.

Treating tires affects more than the softness/hardness. Different treatments can do different things and the durometer will still read correct. At least on dirt. I can’t speak for the asphalt but would think it would be similar. Tire sniffers aren’t very reliable. The only sure way I know of policing the soaking issue it to send the tires out to a lab. That would be cost prohibitive.
I guess you will just need to issue tires as the cars are ready to go onto the track. :slight_smile: NOT

[B][I]If you want to do this right:

1- To run here, you get your tires here.

2- Tires bought here to be use and(or) reuse stay here, impounded after today racing, given back to you at next event.

3- After feature, tires from top X get tested with
A) Sniffer
B) Durometer check
C) Dismount from rim(s) after feature.[/I][/B]

exactly ! simple and easy .

I like it Andre…but who pays for it???