classic on 5/12 continues!

Here’s the Late Model Heat races from 5/12/90 note the number of cars. This was a weekly class then. Enjoy! Bob…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihLpwPTpUfg

Great stuff Bob but I have a question, pause the video as the cars are going into turn one just at the end of the stands what is that behind the stands that looks like a mountain???

Mountain?

looks more like a cloud to me.

Looked like fans in the stands

Rick I don’t have any idea what that is behind turn 1 unless its a tree line on the othere side of the drag strip. I remember early on the field just east of the Drag strip was un improved. Just a guess. Maybe someone else would remember more. Did you see who is on the back straight Flag? Bob…

How about it? Can you guys ID the drivers??? #71 is of course Dunkin, #69 Jimmy Cope… #74 Butch Yoakam… #16 Eddie King… was Leroy in the #61??

Can I play? YES Leroy was in the #61, which you’ll se if I can get u-tube to cooperate. Bob…

John?

Bob, Looks like John Osteen? I was at Desoto that day, but was not racing, great video with a LOT of familiar friends and faces!! The “mountain” in the background off of turn one is just that (close as you’ll get in that part of Fla.) the trees on the hill by Lake Manatee Park. Thanks for that memory Bob!Rick Coody

It’s not the hill at Lake Manatee that is much farther down the road, I know what it is was just seeing if anyone else remembered. I worked at the dragstrip for a few years and raced a there also. The west side of the dragstrip had a berm built up on the right side and those were the brush and trees that had grown on it. I remember when I drove the wrecker there we pulled pieces of a front engine dragster off the hill all the way down the track until we got to the guy who was unconcious in what was left of the roll cage. He survived but it was one of the worst wrecks I had ever worked at the strip. They have since leveled it out…

What year was the berm Rick? I don’t remember it. I was first at the drag strip in probably 74’.