modifieds (hypothetical question)

Tunafan, an SK type mod? may as well just have SK mods. latemodels and limited latemodels are a good example…just have latemodels.

Truth??? Really??? do you really need all those 600-800 HP to make sure you spin the tires ALL the way down the straightaway in that 2600lb car on 8" tires?

The problem is we were asked what we wanted and it is slowly destroying automobile racing.

me ? no i dont need all that hp . but obviously the majority does since thats what they are running in those cars . i got away from those years ago . way too expensive . and what is destroying racing ? honest conversation ? i dont think so . not even close .

Not conversation, asking drivers what they want…the divisions i raced in are still around but since i got out of it , it cost 4-5 times as much to run now.

Truth, I’ll take the time to point out YOUR written words -

You wrote - “both tracks run real mods not wanna - be mods”

Your so-called “wanna - be mods” are a way of saving money and provide an entry level into the modified racecars. I think your hostility towards these cars is because they are the idea of FASCAR and your personal discontent. I applaud FASCAR for trying to save the racer money by cutting the cost of engines. The numbers are growing slowly, but they are growing. I just saw a beautiful new e-mod at OSW on the last open test day. I hear there are a few more guys trying to get their cars on the track before the end of the year. I’m thinking we will see this e-mod thing continue to grow.

You wrote - “the idea is to save the racer money”

Look dummy, That’s exactly what FASCAR is doing with the e-mod’s. I must give credit to the Tunaman for the “dummy” word. He coined the term - it’s pretty funny in my opinion.

You wrote - most modified drivers want that 600-800 hp

That’s a waste of money and horsepower ! Even at your Auburndale and Citrus tracks. Those guys look like John Force smoking the tires off the corners - then the guy with the 604 crate engine drives right by. Oh yes, I’ve been there and seen it myself. It don’t take that kind of numbers to win in a modified. Now of course with a slick 10 inch tire, they could probably use that horsepower instead of having to 1/4 to 1/2 throttle the cars off the corners.

Truth, You did it again

Your own words

“i got away from those years ago . way too expensive”

Exactly why you should be on your knees praising FASCAR. They are saving the racers money.

definatly right there benny ! i agree 100% !

lol ! praise fascar ? thats funny stuff right there ! for one thing the e-mod class wasnt even fascars idea .that came from a engine builder/ racer . sorry to bust your bubble on that one .save the racers money ?well , lets see ,changing tires mid-season , changing tire size in one class mid-season , all but eliminating the real modifieds from the schedual . but how they really saved the racers the most is by running 70% of them off . and dont forget all the fans they ran off that save money every fri and sat . good job ! and by the way , when i mentioned the hp thing , i was talking about nss not a lil bullring like citrus where guys run restrictors to stop wheelspin . yep , that kind of hp is too much i think but thats whats under the hood of the #22 and the # 66 . for example the 66 came to citrus a couple of months ago for the 100 lapper and couldnt even qualify or race his way into the show due to too much wheelspin .

the truth

youre worse than the tunaman

hey what can i say ? some people cant stand to hear the truth !

I say put the e-mods on slicks and leave the regular mods on treads and let them run together. The treaded tires slow us down a second or so and slicks will speed the e-mods up a second or so…sort of defeats the purpose of efficiency but the treaded tires wear out almost as fast as the slicks anyways so whats the difference, $20 in price for 4 tires? I heard superstock guys saying the treaded get better over run time…not for a big motor modified. I like the idea of a tour series on 8" slicks, I would probably run it.

[QUOTE=Benny The Mule;50984]Tunafan, an SK type mod? may as well just have SK mods. latemodels and limited latemodels are a good example…just have latemodels.

Truth??? Really??? do you really need all those 600-800 HP to make sure you spin the tires ALL the way down the straightaway in that 2600lb car on 8" tires?

The problem is we were asked what we wanted and it is slowly destroying automobile racing.[/QUOTE]

I’ll agree 100% with your first statement. Just go with an SK type mod. I believe they have an economy class that runs that chassis also. They use to. Personally, I like them and would rather watch them than what we have now. Would they make the racing better? Probably not.
2nd: This is not the time to be adding any classes. This is the time to start eliminating classes and consolidating the driver pool. Florida has way too many classes already, many with small car counts.
I think your implication regarding asking drivers what they want is correct. Drivers always want more and if you give it to them, it’s going to cost more. When it costs more, it destroys racing as we know it.

Just thought I’d share the the tire rules from Stafford Motor Speedway who happen to be the originators of the SK modified…

?HOOSIER Tire East of Manchester Connecticut is the sole supplier of tires for the SK Modified? and SK Light Modified Divisions. The size and compound numbers are 26.0/13.0-15 M45 on the left side and 27.0/13-15 M46 on the right side.?

?The maximum number of tires allowed in driver race inventory is ten (10) for the SK Modifieds? and eight (8) for the SK Light Modifieds. This number is the maximum number of tires that can be registered for use each week. Only the ten (10) tires on the race inventory card for the SK Modifieds? and the eight (8) tires on the SK Light race inventory card will be allowed into the paddock area.?

?Drivers may continue to add tires to their race inventory until the maximum allowed is reached. The allowable replacement, once max inventory is reached is two (2) tires per week for the SK Modifieds? and one (1) per week for the SK Light Modifieds.?

?Drivers will be ultimately responsible for maintaining accurate and complete inventory of their tires. Each driver will be responsible for three inventory cards.
1 Race inventory
2 Scrub inventory
3 Test/Extended practice inventory?

The SK Modified is a relatively recent variant of the venerable ?NASCAR Tour Type? modified class. With its 400-hp, small-block V8, trim 2,600-lb overall weight, and sticky, 15-inch-wide racing slicks, the SK Modified offers nimble handling and an impressive power-to-weight ratio.

SK Light Modifieds run 602 crate engines and use the same tire as the SK.

If you’d like to see more Stafford Motor Speedway SK rules please go to: www.staffordmotorspeedway.com/Pages/Multimedia/Downloads.htm

That sounds good to me just do not us have all the tires we want and it will be fair then it is the driver and crew to get the car right I know that there are many night we have ran on ond tires and wooped but but it was our driver and us working on the car to get it done!!!

Winger, I totally agree with you about divisions at tracks. There are far too many divisions that run at Florida tracks that don’t vary much from division to division. I feel there is really no need for any track to have more than three divisions: an entry level novice division, a mid-level talent division, and a top level talent division. I’d recommend a 4 cylinder bomber class (basically stock) for the novice division, super street stock or limited late model for the mid level division, and either late models or SK modifieds or both for the top division. Perhaps alternate between late models and SK modifieds week to week. Purses for each class would be higher, car counts should be higher, competition should be better, and a more enjoyable night of entertainment would be provided for the fans. I’m also leaning toward proposing a shorter season for which I’d be open for suggestion. That would make it easier on the finances of race teams.

Limited horsepower + sophisticated chassis + sticky tires = crappy racing, parity, a trained monkey could drive the thing…you get the picture.

Am I guessing correctly that you’ve never attended a race at Stafford Motor Speedway in Stafford Springs, Connecticut? If you did you wouldn’t be saying crappy racing.