Abyss64 Trivia Thread

not even close!lol

One more for today, now ya have 2 to chew on.

#3 is Dr. Don Tarr who had a cup of coffee driving for Ray Fox in NASCAR… By the way, Ray Fox will be 95 years young in May… We are planning a big party for him here at the Archives in Daytona… should be fun…

ancrdave has the first one correct. Now who’s driving the 17?

Either Roger Hamby or Sterlin Marlin

Nope. There were two cars that looked like this and had the same sponsor, the other had #77.

Then it was the guy I originally thought it was, but couldn’t think of his name; Clark Dwyer

Just a guess: Wendall Scott in the #34 and the track is Richmond?

I was gonna say either Hamby or Dwyer in that #17. Ken Ragan would’ve been driving the #77. Gotta be about '84 or so, I’m guessing…looks like Pocono.

That pic that Dave says is “#3”…looks like a #31. Look behind the driver’s right shoulder. Looks to be about '66 or '67. And I had to look this one up:

http://www.racing-reference.info/race/1967_Daytona_500/W

Yes, it’s more than likely a Ray Fox Dodge. #3 in 1967 would’ve been Baker in a Dodge. If you look at Ray Fox’s stats there, in 1966 at Daytona, in a #3 Dodge, was Earl Balmer. I don’t see any reference to Dr. Tarr driving a #3, but do see him listed in 1969 as driving a Ray Fox #37. But it wasn’t until Charlotte in the middle of the season; his early-season cars were #0. I’m not sure they would’ve been running the '66-'67 Charger in '69 when most of the factory teams were with the newer Charger (500).

Found it:
http://www.racing-reference.info/race/1966_Firecracker_400/W

Is it Don White in a Ray Nichels car #31? Looked at the July race stats for '66, and found it.

My boo-boo… Tarr did drive #37 for Fox… Another piece of Trivia: Who drove the #31 for Fox at Daytona in 1967?

I already looked that one up…LOL…

Was it Innes Ireland, the road racer?

Here’s some trivia, and it’s not too hard…Dave can’t answer :slight_smile:

Which driver has won the 24 Hours of LeMans, the 24 Hours of Daytona, the 12 Hours of Sebring, the Indy 500, and the Daytona 500?

Which driver has won the 24 Hours of Daytona, the Daytona 500, the Indy 500, and the 12 Hours of Sebring (everything except LeMans)?

Hey Mr. Abyss, your thread is making a lot of people happy, so I sure don’t want to rain on the parade, but I’ll make a suggestion.

The concept of “trivia” is falling apart because anything can be looked up, almost instantly, on the internet. Why not organize a LIVE trivia contest with no assistance from Google? It would be a cool addition to a racing party or a big race weekend. AND the fans who really know their stuff would have a chance to shine.

It’ll be fun!

LOL…I haven’t used Google yet :wink: LMAO…believe it or not, I have friends…LOLOLOLOLOL…

But yeah…I like Rex’s idea! Start in the early rounds with some fairly easy questions, then make them harder and more obscure as the rounds go on :slight_smile:

Abyss’ Wendell picture

I don’t think these were taken at the same track. Granted, they’re at least about eight years apart (1975<?> vs 1983), but looking at the grandstands and the guardrail/wall, they just don’t look like the same track. I’m thinking the Wendell picture was taken somewhere in Georgia, during the filming of “Greased Lightning” (someone else on another board had suggested Middle Georgia or Augusta). if that’s the start/finish line in Abyss’ picture, where’s pit road? At Richmond, there was only a guard rail between the racing surface and pit road. And look how far back the grandstands are set in the '83 picture. Help me out here…LOL…

1st one Foyt, 2nd Mario, I knew answer to early question was Mario Rossi , looked up later to confirm it and learn more.

Nope, if Jimmy doesn’t get it before later tonight I’ll give you guys a hint.

[QUOTE=Jimmy McKinley;68262]

I don’t think these were taken at the same track. Granted, they’re at least about eight years apart (1975<?> vs 1983), but looking at the grandstands and the guardrail/wall, they just don’t look like the same track. I’m thinking the Wendell picture was taken somewhere in Georgia, during the filming of “Greased Lightning” (someone else on another board had suggested Middle Georgia or Augusta). if that’s the start/finish line in Abyss’ picture, where’s pit road? At Richmond, there was only a guard rail between the racing surface and pit road. And look how far back the grandstands are set in the '83 picture. Help me out here…LOL…[/QUOTE]

You might be right, I may have gotten bad info on that one, looking at it, and I also see Chevrolet rally wheels on that thing, I don’t ever remember them running those, the Scott family lives about 30 minutes from me.

The driver of the 17 hails from Va. and is a part of the sales staff at Heritage Chevrolet in Chester,Va.

You made it too easy to look up , too much info so I won’t reveal it.