Press Release From The New Owners Of Desoto Speedway

Congrats Mike and Kevin! It is a GREAT day for Florida racing!
Desoto is a great facility in a nice location - I really hope and think you can turn the place around and make it a successful venture for everyone involved.

[QUOTE=Osmosis Jones;121270]Do not name it “Full Throttle Speedway”

Please say that was just a crazy thing you came up with at a late night brainstorming session…cuz that’s…just…terrible.

There is nothing wrong whatsoever with DS.
Desoto Speedway. Plain and simple.
“The South’s Fastest Short Track”.

Please not Full Throttle. It conjures up images of the Duke boys jumping over 10 lanes of interstate, crashing into the pavement and driving away at 120 mph. Or in todays terms, a four dollar, five minute rush from a can of liquid caffeine for teens who want to look cool.

PLEASE…let this track regain some of it’s dignity. Don’t strip it of one of the things that made it into what it used to be. Sunshine’s famous moniker was cast aside (seemingly to give an extended life to a tired nickname it’s new owner used to enjoy when announcers would be listing the names of the drivers taken out in the first lap crash that, more times than not, he would seem to cause) for a circus name. Showtime. Wheeee…bring on the clowns on bicycles. Where are the elephants?

Putting Superspeedway in the name was about the dumbest thing I had ever heard in my life. I could never bring myself to use that silly name for a 3/8 mile race track. It was and will always be Desoto Speedway to me.

Before I go on too much more let me say THANK YOU so much for purchasing the race track.
Something drastically needed to be done and I’m hoping you guys are the real deal and can put together a business plan for making a profit while still providing a quality show for the fans AND keep the racers happy and excited about supporting your efforts. It’s gonna be a big job, no doubt. Just like the loyal patrons of Sunshine, when it’s gates closed that last time, there have been dozens (if not hundreds) of racers and fans alike who have been eagerly waiting for this day to come.

It’s almost like a deliverance.

So again, good luck to you. There is one thing you have in your favor, you know. When your standing on rock bottom, there’s no place to go but up.

[SIZE=“5”]Nothing but good can come of this venture. [/SIZE]

Just please don’t call it Full Throttle Speedway.

Please.

OJ[/QUOTE]

Could be worse, they could call it Half Throttle Speedway. or Full Throttle International Motor Super Speedway ( no, only NASCAR would think that was a good name ).
I agree, we’ve come to know the name Desoto Speedway around here and i can’t think of any other name that would fit the place better. Good luck with it men, it’s been very poorly managed for a long time and the fan and car count shows it. But the infrastructure is here, just build on it.

I wonder if they are going to name the beer stand Full Throttle Saloon? Out in Sturgis they may have a problem with that. On the bright side I am happy Mr. Williams made the deal, I love this track.

Best thing for all involved
PGS too much red tape with the Gov
Desoto, Onwer was burnt out and needed a break
New life pumped into the old girl

April 6th race time

Don, Rumor has it you are taking over PGS?

dd

the only reason Don wants PGS is because the fishing is so good!
Ozwald

I hope they do call it “Full Throttle Speedway” and that the Coke brand is the sponsor for the track. That would be cool!

[QUOTE=carolwicks;121404]the only reason Don wants PGS is because the fishing is so good!
Ozwald[/QUOTE]

Boca Grand
Ill do it for free… opps for gas for the boat…

don62

all I need to know is if school bus figure 8’s will still be running regularly…

Cooney…

hope so … we havent even opened yet so ALOT has to be done… Busses always drew a HUGE crowd at DSS… Hopefully that will happen again. :wink:
I am so excited about the purchase.
Carol

Could be worse, they could call it Half Throttle Speedway. or Full Throttle International Motor Super Speedway ( no, only NASCAR would think that was a good name ).
I agree, we’ve come to know the name Desoto Speedway around here and i can’t think of any other name that would fit the place better. Good luck with it men, it’s been very poorly managed for a long time and the fan and car count shows it. But the infrastructure is here, just build on it.

I’ve heard it called alot worse. I’m writing something right now about how that piece of land in Manatee County has changed my life…

Heard that they are going to repave the track…wahoo !

Question from all the current employees of former Desoto Speedway.

I think it would be nice if someone would contact the current employees and let them know what is going on, I have fielded calls for days and still know nothing to tell them. I think someone should contact them and tell them not to report on the 2nd of March, and what the new application process will be. Just sayin.

I would think…

…that should have been the former owner’s job.

That is, to inform all of his employees and staff that they won’t be getting paychecks with his signature on them anymore, I mean.

Not really the new guys responsibility.

Current employees…that might be just a tad presumptuous, Dave. lol

Dave

It states in the press release that the will do repairs next month and plan on a open date of April 6th. I am sure you will hear from them when the time comes Kevin is at speed weeks this week,

Gary Laplant

That was my thought, current employees? If your phone hasn’t been ringing, might be your hint to start looking for another gig.
And dragging the situation into the internet probably isn’t going to help your employment situation either.

send in your resume for concideration

That’s a thought. In fact, i’d recommend everyone on this and all racing message boards sending in your resume. A lot of tracks could use fresh perspective in the way they operate. Too often the same people are recycled over and over because…well, just because they’re available and why spend the energy to search for and train new people.
In many cases, the folks running the tracks do a good job, and i’m not talking about the owners and promoters. I’m talking about the ticket takers, the tech men, the track crew, the vendors, the PR people. But in some cases i think it would be much better to send some of the regulars on their way and bring in some new ideas. What could it hurt?

You all have good points!

And thanks Matt, I do have a new gig! It is just a respect thing, And no its not Kevins job to contact us!

Glad to hear you have something else going. I couldn’t agree more about the respect thing, but look who you’re talking about. His reputation is well deserved i’d say.
As for Kevin, i can’t see where it would have been a big problem for him to contact the current employees at Desoto and give them a day and time for a meeting to discuss their future at the track. Could have just contacted you and let you sread the word. Maybe Kevin could work on his people skills a little.