Punta Gorda Speedway

Does any know when the speedway will re-open? Who has won the bid, or who is bidding on it. If you have any info please post…Thanks Joe

I spoke with a lady at the Charlotte County Airport Authority yesterday (monday april 8th}. She said that the bid paperwork has not yet been formalized because of “issues” that have come up. My response was that the longer it takes for another promoter to lease the speedway, the harder it will be to get back the racers and fans. Guess we just have to sit back and wait. Very sad.

Sadly, if the former lease winds up in litigation. The new lease will be delayed.

Hopefully this is not the case, great little track. It needs to come back to life.

My guess is that the track will be leased and put back together and the airport authority will sue Kevin and company. The judge will rule in favor of the lease agreement. The outcome of the court proceedings will provide a winner between Kevin and company vs. the airport authority, but the fans, drivers, taxpayers, and local economy are the real victims of this situation.

Here is my prediction…

I dont think the airport authority is going to sue anyone. I think the only thing the authority owns is the ground and any buildings that have a slab.

EVERYTHING else, meaning all the fixtures, equipment, bleachers, etc, were tangible property and could be bought and sold at will.

NAILED IT !!! Randy you hit the nail on the head, I really hope someone tosses the idiots out of office at the port authority, and someone takes over PGS, It has been my home track ever since I started racing and would hate to lose it over a bunch of morons!!!

It all depends on Florida law and the wording in the lease agreement if anybody sues anybody.

I talked to a few people yesterday, bid packages are going out. Four or Five groups are trying to get the new lease on the track… There is some good speculation that the track will re-open in 2-3 months…

punta gorda speedway

Gee…

Does that mean that the Charlotte County Airport Authority (CCAA) have found a sucker to lease that land,WITHOUT putting proper drainage in?

You’d hav to be a dumbass to NOT demand that the CCAA do that.Otherwise,any time it rains,even briefly,you’re going to have to cancel shows.Plus,if the CCAA DOES put in drainage,then Kevin Williams will sue,because he asked the CCAA repeatedly to put in drainage,and they refused.

I also talked to a person,who is familiar with the situation at the airport,and the CCAA is still going ahead to add an additional runway and out buildings,along the area of the speedway and the adjecant cow farm.Good luck keeping the track open.

Even if they have suitors trying to lease the track,it’s not going to open,for at least a year.:confused:

Is that person the little man that talk’s out of your ass?

[QUOTE=steadysteve;124629]Gee…

Does that mean that the Charlotte County Airport Authority (CCAA) have found a sucker to lease that land,WITHOUT putting proper drainage in?

You’d hav to be a dumbass to NOT demand that the CCAA do that.Otherwise,any time it rains,even briefly,you’re going to have to cancel shows.Plus,if the CCAA DOES put in drainage,then Kevin Williams will sue,because he asked the CCAA repeatedly to put in drainage,and they refused.

I also talked to a person,who is familiar with the situation at the airport,and the CCAA is still going ahead to add an additional runway and out buildings,along the area of the speedway and the adjecant cow farm.Good luck keeping the track open.

Even if they have suitors trying to lease the track,it’s not going to open,for at least a year.:confused:[/QUOTE] Just wondering what that source is.I don’t believe the airport authority when they say they have several interested bidders.I think if they have two they are extremely lucky.And even at that they never said any interested parties are definately going to lease it to operate a race track.Just the bid process will take several months not to mention repairs,and formulating a schedule.I hope someone does get it back up and running,but I don’t see it happening this year.

[QUOTE=steadysteve;124629]Gee…

Even if they have suitors trying to lease the track,it’s not going to open,for at least a year.:confused:[/QUOTE]

You’re just full of sunshine. First, I wouldn’t worry too much about Kevin Williams suing the airport, word is he doesn’t have money left to sue with.
Second, a runway and other buildings alongside the track will ensure it stays open. It would be pretty difficult for the locals to complain about noise or pollution from the race track while there’s an operational runway right next door.
As for the track not opening for a year, look at what Yoho did over here. In just a couple of months he was up and running, and there was way less to work with a Showtrime.

It’s no wonder that the Airport didn’t put in a drainage system. They could probably tell in advance that Kevin would either take the pipes with him, or smash them to bits before he left.

That was a low-life thing to do to property you don’t even own.

Didn’t someone ‘infamous’ do something like that in the Middle East? It’s called a ‘scorched earth’ policy… If I can’t keep my oil wells, I’ll light them on fire so that YOU cant use them either.

Punta Gorda Speedway

[QUOTE=Matt Albee;124701]You’re just full of sunshine. First, I wouldn’t worry too much about Kevin Williams suing the airport, word is he doesn’t have money left to sue with.
Second, a runway and other buildings alongside the track will ensure it stays open. It would be pretty difficult for the locals to complain about noise or pollution from the race track while there’s an operational runway right next door.
As for the track not opening for a year, look at what Yoho did over here. In just a couple of months he was up and running, and there was way less to work with a Showtrime.[/QUOTE]

I like Showtime,a lot!!! Its just that PGS was about a half-hour from my home,Showtime’s 2 hours away.Lot of cost for gas.Also,you dont have to hae money to get a lawyer to sue,if the attorney has a caSE HE CAN WIN.Williams has a case.He pleaded with CCAA to put in drainage,and they didnt.Maybe Williams wonderful personality had a lot to do wqith it.Maybe not.As I? said before,ya gotta be an idiot to open that track w/o drainage,because the parking lot will flood when it rains,and thus cancelled shows.If the CCAA does put it in,Williams will sue,broke or not.Ill bet right now,at least a year before it has a chance to re-open.

He has no case he leased it as is! That is a known fact! People need to know what they are talking about before they post things on here. He can’t sue for anything!

SS

He leased it with good drainage in the parking lot! When Kevin left he only took what was his! To get the stands out the fence had to be taken down. I heard that the insurance people had said that there was a non renewal on the insurance because of the catch on the front straight so it had to come down. There was no speakers on the fence the only wiring there was the time clock witch somebody cut a few months ago and it was patched up. There are a bunch talking about what they know nothing about. You are looking at that video Wink shot and its is biased. I have been in the video business for 30 years and I can shoot pictures of your grandma baking cookie’s in a negative light. You listened to PAM SEAY and she is biased as well she wants the CCAA to play the victim here but they are in fact the Villain’s and all of you in Charlotte County should vote every one of those jerks out of office. I do hope someone opens a track there! I hate to see any track close. I have worked with promoters for 30 years and I will tell you Kevin Williams is the best I have ever worked with bar none. To those that don’t know who Flvideo is I am Bob Culbertson, if you have a problem with what I have said we can meet face to face.

I have a BIG problem!..

You better never be talkin’ smack about my Grandma’s cookies!

Bwahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa…

You know everything said on here is hearsay, Robert…and unless all of us either worked directly for Kevin Williams as his personal secretaries or we were sitting in the room and got to read it when he signed his lease agreement, none of us have the first clue as to what is going on between him, the CCAA or Pam Seay.

Nobody.

But has that ever stopped any of us…you included…from typing out what’s on our minds or what we think should happen or who we think is screwing over who?..

Nope.

And that’s what makes it great. We’re all internet racing experts and if everyone would just listen to all of we could solve all the problems in a paragraph or two.

Or in my case, 15.

All this will eventually shake out. Hopefully.
Until then we’ll all keep runnin’ our alligators about it and gettin’ each other pissed off.

It’s just what we do.

HA! I’d say you’ve got a big problem HTC Jr! And its me! Whats up matt? I know its all speculation on most of their parts but it just ticks me to see them putting Kevin down and they have no earthly idea what they are talking about. I have worked with Kevin for the last 3 years and I know he’s not perfect but he is as good as it gets as a promoter and I have worked with a bunch over the years. Our old track is going to be in her glory agin matt. Kevin and Mike have plans to restore her to her Glory. All the parts are there they just have to be assembled.

Don’t let CCAA fool you letting track shut is what the wanted the old people of Charlotte County didn’t like track. I have many Seniors say that track needs to close. I lived and worked in Charlotte County the 1st 7 1/2 years when I moved to FL and it is stuff like this that made me hate Charlotte County. I now have live in Lee County aka Dunk City for 5 years and change, and let me tell you far better. Lee County sees where there comes from and spend money to keep coming.

I have not heard of any new rule out on old catch fence that have to be replaced at tracks. Has any of the other Florida Tracks putting up new catch Fence this year??? I have been a Mover and a Rigger for over 40 years In the Tampa Bay Area the catch fence would have not have to come down to get the bleachers out if the had been disassembleed completely. Even if there is a new law on the Cartch fence that would hvae been the landlord problem not Kevins,

Is Kevin having to put up a new fence at the New Track???

Just my thoughts
Gary Laplant

Punta Gorda Speedwat

When he leased the track 4 years ago,Piper road was still two-lane road.AFTER Williams leased the track,The county,at the Airport’s request,expanded Piper road to 4 lanes,making the entrance to the Airport more appealing.Doing so,they took half the parking lot from the speedway,ad turned it into a soup bowl.thus,without the draiage,the speedway cancelled numerous shows.So yeah,I think Williams could sue.

Look,I’m not fond of the guy.He wouldnt let me in early for a show about a year ago during the summer months,and I alnost had heat stroke.,and he acted like a prick.Yet,he still has a potential lawsuit against BOTH the county and the airport.