New Smyrna Speedway 6/21/14

SUMMER ACTION CONTINUES TO HEAT UP AT NEW SMYRNA SPEEDWAY

NASCAR Whelan All-American Series racing returns to New Smyrna Speedway
Saturday night with five classes will be in action including the Pro Late
Models, E-Modifieds, Mini Stocks, Super Stocks and Strictly Stocks.
There has still yet to be a repeat winner in the Pro Late Model division as
now six different drivers - Tyler Audie, Daniel Keene, Jr., Michael Lira, Cody
Blair, Will Carroll and Zack Jarrell - have all taken a trip to Gibson Truck
World victory lane.
Jarrett Korpi continues to have the upper hand in the E-Modifieds and will be
looking to make it a half-dozen wins on the year this week. Meanwhile the
Super Stocks have Justin Reynolds as the driver to beat. Reynolds doesn’t
race every week but he has won all three of his starts this season.
As usual, Ted Vulpius is the driver to beat in the Mini Stocks but he’ll have
a host of challengers this week trying to keep him out of victory lane for a
fourth time.
Pit gates open Saturday afternoon at 3 pm with division practice slated from
4-6 pm. Grandstand gates will open at 6 pm and racing action begins promptly
at 7:30pm.
Adult admission is $15 with all seniors (65+) and military with valid ID
admitted for $13. Kids 11 years of age and under are free of charge.

A suggestion to NSS (and many other tracks), move the practice sessions much closer to the actual race time. Ending it 1-1/2 hours before then, means 1-1/2 of of silence.

When I pull into the parking lot of a racetrack, and hear the sound of wide-open motors, my adrenaline starts pumping immediately.

When I hear NOTHING but silence, it takes a while for the blood to start flowing.

Finish practice approx. 15 minutes before the opening ceremonies. It will pump them up right off the bat, instead of waking them up from the boredom.

[QUOTE=Frasson118;146627]A suggestion to NSS (and many other tracks), move the practice sessions much closer to the actual race time. Ending it 1-1/2 hours before then, means 1-1/2 of of silence.

When I pull into the parking lot of a racetrack, and hear the sound of wide-open motors, my adrenaline starts pumping immediately.

When I hear NOTHING but silence, it takes a while for the blood to start flowing.

Finish practice approx. 15 minutes before the opening ceremonies. It will pump them up right off the bat, instead of waking them up from the boredom.[/QUOTE]

If that’s not what they are doing, shame on them. No wonder tracks are struggling to pull crowds. Who want’s to sit around and stare at nothing for over an hour? Get the show on the road!!! My main track starts practice at 3pm runs till 5:45 holds drivers meeting at 5:50 and then opening ceremonies and heat races are under way at 6pm every Saturday night. That’s how it should be done!

Racing starts at 7:30. Get there at 7 and you only have to wait 30 minutes. Math must not be the strong subject for you pair of geniuses.

It has nothing to do with math… It has everything to do with keeping people entertained. I like getting to the track early… soak in the atmosphere, see who showed up, get PUMPED UP about tonight’s show.

And then you get there, the speakers are silent, not a motor to be heard, and expect people to be excited.

The ‘race track experience’, especially to new/potential fans, has to start with adrenaline… Not No-Doz.

The racing starts at 7:30.

When you go to Disney , do you sit outside the gate a few hours early so you can hear the “It’s a small world” music to get in the mood ? Haha !

All kidding aside, as a racecar driver and owner, the time between practice and the races is valuable. We can cool off, eat, attend the drivers meeting, and make any last minute repairs or adjustments.

Racing starts at 7:30.

Continuing with your Disney reference, the “pre-ride” experience is carefully engineered to maximize the enjoyment of every attraction. During the time in line, the visitor sees some foreshadowing of what is ahead, learns a bit about what to expect, (just like watching practice) has a few laughs or maybe even learns something. A line at Disney is part of the entertainment. A line at the DMV or at the post office is devoid of anything interesting or fun.

Lets be more like Disney and less like the post office! Start practice later and run it right up to race time.

Racing starts at 7:30, anything before that is race preparation and not part of the show.

I’ll give you this idea, maybe have a last chance practice for each class 1/2 hour before race time. This would be after the drivers meeting. That will give jerry some racecar noise while he burns one in the parking lot before the races.
Haha, again.

It’s not a tough concept… It’s a matter of re-arranging the time that’s available to keep everyone’s attention.

EZ… if your racing experience is based on the ‘starting time’, you are missing a HUGE part of the experience of being a racing fan.

If its ALL about the actual laps on the track, you’re missing a LOT of the fun of being a FAN.

[QUOTE=Frasson118;146637]It’s not a tough concept… It’s a matter of re-arranging the time that’s available to keep everyone’s attention.

EZ… if your racing experience is based on the ‘starting time’, you are missing a HUGE part of the experience of being a racing fan.

If its ALL about the actual laps on the track, you’re missing a LOT of the fun of being a FAN.[/QUOTE]

My perspective is from being a driver with multiple racecars. Going from practice to a drivers meeting to a heat race in 15 minutes is asking a lot from us.

When I go watch a race, I’m usually in the pits and find the downtime between practice and racetime a good time to talk with friends, check out racecars, and grab a bite to eat.

When I go see a race and sit in the stands, I find it dumb to get there any earlier than 1/2 hour before race time.

Jerry, maybe you should find a race team to help out for a season to broaden your racing experience and knowledge. You will surely enjoy the hard work required to keep a race car prepared and racing.

I think your not getting enough racing fix watching. Hang up your keyboard and grab a wrench.

The reason for practice is to make sure all is ok with the car. The time between practice and racing is to make corrections or repairs. Last week I had an almost new fuel pump fail in practice. It took 30-40 minutes for the engine to cool enough for the fix. Glad to have that 1 1/2 hours break.
The break between practice is the time fans can go to the parking lot for a few cheap cold ones, which is Frass’ routine, or burn one as suggested.
NSS has a great bar area with TV to watch current events… :huepfen024:
Just my 2 cents…
-GYM-

Both positions here have merit.

In my new tradition of channelling Humpy Wheeler, how about the following:

Race track speakers are, well, “adequate” at playing music at best.

What about having one of those DJ guys that you see at car shows set up and play Classic rock or County as is appropriate through their own system and two higher-end speakers?

Everybody’s happy. The racers can dine on chili dogs or change the gear (again), the crowd gets worked into a frenzy.

One more word that is certain to please everyone: Karioke :huepfen024:

[QUOTE=UREZ2PASS;146630]Racing starts at 7:30. Get there at 7 and you only have to wait 30 minutes. Math must not be the strong subject for you pair of geniuses.[/QUOTE] I just can’t help but laugh at this…

[QUOTE=UREZ2PASS;146634]The racing starts at 7:30.

When you go to Disney , do you sit outside the gate a few hours early so you can hear the “It’s a small world” music to get in the mood ? Haha !

All kidding aside, as a racecar driver and owner, the time between practice and the races is valuable. We can cool off, eat, attend the drivers meeting, and make any last minute repairs or adjustments.

Racing starts at 7:30.[/QUOTE]

As long as I have been involved in racing, building race cars, driving race cars etc be it Oval, Karts, Drag Cars and Road Racing I have NEVER enjoyed more than 30 minutes of down time. You get to this point where you just want to get going. When I am at the track, I am not there to walk around and socialize. I am there to bring home a trophy.

[QUOTE=UREZ2PASS;146636]Racing starts at 7:30, anything before that is race preparation and not part of the show.

I’ll give you this idea, maybe have a last chance practice for each class 1/2 hour before race time. This would be after the drivers meeting. That will give jerry some racecar noise while he burns one in the parking lot before the races.
Haha, again.[/QUOTE]

Great idea, give people the opportunity to spend even more money.:huh: Just want this sport needs. This sport has become over saturated with unnecessary costs as it is.

[QUOTE=UREZ2PASS;146640]Jerry, maybe you should find a race team to help out for a season to broaden your racing experience and knowledge. You will surely enjoy the hard work required to keep a race car prepared and racing.

I think your not getting enough racing fix watching. Hang up your keyboard and grab a wrench.[/QUOTE]

Since you own all these racecars and such, shouldn’t you be in the shop? Take your own advice lol!!!

Here’s the honest bottom line for me. Sure, it’s nice to have the extra time to fix your car should a problem arise. There have been a few times where I have wished I had an extra 20 or 30 minutes to fix issues, but at least for me when gates open at 2pm, practice starts at 3, heats at 6, features at 7:30 and show over at 10 or 11 sometimes, that’s still a LONG day. I’d rather get in and get out as quickly as possible especially considering I travel to race most places.

I have been forced to miss heat races a few times due to issues. We blew an engine in practice last year and had just over an hour to change it. We missed our heat race and still ended up coming through the field to finish 4th after starting scratch in a 20 car field. It’s all part of the game.

[QUOTE=Phil Jacques;146645]
Since you own all these racecars and such, shouldn’t you be in the shop? Take your own advice lol!!![/QUOTE]

That’s great advice. Reminds me why I quit posting on here months ago. Arguing with know it all idiots is time consuming. LOL !

P.S. You are my new racing hero, got any t-shirts for sale or hero cards ?

I was considering making Phil my “racing hero” also, but then again, I just don’t know if I can give up Lake Speed.

Straight up, I have the utmost respect for those that do what it takes to get on the track–and that is 100% inclusive, and I very much look forward to Phil’s arrival on the Florida Scene.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;146649]I was considering making Phil my “racing hero” also, but then again, I just don’t know if I can give up Lake Speed.

Straight up, I have the utmost respect for those that do what it takes to get on the track–and that is 100% inclusive, and I very much look forward to Phil’s arrival on the Florida Scene.[/QUOTE]

Nothing to look forward to. I’ve only gotten lucky a few times. I don’t claim to be anything big. Not like our resident superhero UREZ2PASS. I’m a budget racer that has a clear perception of reality and likes to have fun racing rather than puff my chest and think I am a god like most.

[QUOTE=UREZ2PASS;146648]That’s great advice. Reminds me why I quit posting on here months ago. Arguing with know it all idiots is time consuming. LOL !

P.S. You are my new racing hero, got any t-shirts for sale or hero cards ?[/QUOTE]

At least I don’t hide behind a fake name on a forum. You already sound like your own biggest fan to me. :huepfen024: