Florida Stock Car History

My website now has over 9600 photos and other items for you to view at www.floridastockcars.com
I am in need of some more sponsors to keep this thing going… If you are interested, see me at the Governor’s Cup race this weekend… any help is appreciated and you will be a part of the site (your name or you can make your part in memory of someone)…
If you haven’t checked it out yet, please do so and I’d like to thank all of you who have already made it possible to keep the history of racing in our state alive like Ted Kempgens, Sonny Hartley, Don Heckman, Danny Shearer, Henry McKenzie, J. I. Ervin, Billy Cuddy and more…
dd38 is getting so much free stuff this weekend, he should be able to chip in LOL!!!

Would like to thank Mackey Bros. Racing for a nice donation…

Hey Announcer Dave. How are the donations coming? Hopefully you got enough to keep the site going!

Doing OK… Thanks Scott… Check the New Smyrna Album…

On behalf of the entire Garrity family, I thank you Dave.

Also a big thanks to Billy Cuddy Painting for renewing sponsorship…

Can still use some more help as I really want to upgrade the site into the 21st century… I’ll be at Auburndale Friday and Saturday if anyone wants to talk… How about it AMF Chassis??? You guys would be perfect… Thanks to Jacob Warren Performance too… all we have to do is hook up…

I am really looking for anything from Ocala Speedway! It’s hard to believe I have no Ocala Speedway album on the site… Does anyone have or know of somebody that has Ocala Speedway photos pre-1985? Let me know… Looks like I’ve got a pretty good line on some older stuff from Citrus though… Both of these tracks have history dating back into the 1950s but things are difficult to find…

Also looking for Don Bok or any other photogs stuff from New Smyrna 1967-1977 before Jim Jones started there… Also OSW photos pre-1985…

If you haven’t checked it out, log on to www.floridastockcars.com and have some fun reliving the past…

Dave, I sent you a PM

pic’s

Dave I sent you a pm , I have some old NSS programs if you ever want to look at them , i’m in Daytona

Thanks guys… with all your help I’ll be able to keep this going and make it even better… Joe… e-mail me as I’d really like to hook up with you…
Thanks to Kim Scheffler, the Martins and Bobby Diehl for your help this weekend as well as Dave Dunkin and Ted Head who did me a huge favor Saturday afternoon that will not be forgotten… If you need vehicle repairs in the Lakeland-Winterhaven-Auburndale-Bartow area, Ted’s Repair Service is THE place to go… there is no one more honest than Ted and his father-in-law Dave Dunkin… they have a really nice new shop at 295 Highway 92 East in Auburndale not far from the track… Ted is also selling buy here-pay here cars and renting U-Haul trucks and equipment…

Hey I cant find any pics of Buford Clounts and his #48 sportsman back in the 80s at Orlando Speedworld. My sister has quite a few pics of him. If you’d like to add some let me know.

Always loved picking up a program when entering any track.Amazing that none of the tracks provide this simple basic tool to promote their weekly shows.

A couple of things here… If you have old photos that you would like to see on the site, scan (or get them scanned) and e-mail them to me… Walgreens will scan photos for you at a reasonable price, then you also have a disc you can keep too that will last practically forever… Don’t shoot a photo of a photo with your cell phone as those look terrible and there aren’t really usable… I see a lot of that on Facebook and it bugs the heck out of me!
I would really like some shots of Buford Clonts because we really got to be friends when I first started working at OSW and I don’t have any photos of him… I’m really in need of OSW photos from 1974 - 87 that I don’t have much of…
I’m also trying to get NSS to do a weekly program this year… It’s not that difficult to do something simple and it’s good for the sponsors for getting extra exposure…
My e-mail is announcerdave@usa.net

Just added a new album of photos from Opa-Locka Speedway… It was located on the east side of the Miami Naval Air Station’s Mainside base, just west of Douglas Road (NW 37th Avenue) across the street from the city limits of Opa-Locka. Joseph F. Reitano owned Opa-locka Speedway from 1948 through 1950 and then the Naval Air Station bought it through eminent domain although races were held there through early 1952… A number of top South FL racers like Rod Perry, Alan Clarke and Rags Carter got their start there…

I still need a little help money-wise but things are looking much better in keeping this going and upgrading it… Several albums still need sponsors!!
Please help if you can!!! e-mail me at announcerdave@usa.net

Here are a few Opa-Locka Photos:

1. Rod Perry in a “Hot Rod” style car in 1950…
  2. Banjo Matthews stands on his car after a crash…
  3. Ralph Moody of Holman & Moody fame raced there
  4. How did they manage this?

rod.jpg

banjo.jpg

Ralph Moody.jpg

Bob Moore in a bad position___.jpg

Wanted to move this thread to the top again and I have no idea how to make it a “sticky” LOL…
A big thanks to Sheppard Racing Enterprises in Deland for coming on board to help out… Visited the shop on Tuesday… very impressive to say the least… I love the location out in the country…
Still have several albums you can sponsor… take a look! See me at the Red Eye and I’ll hook you up… I want to make this site bigger and better!
Thanks to Yogi Martin, I’m getting some older photos from New Smyrna that are great… Check out these two: 1) Don Rehm #7 (now running the Top Gun Sprint Car Series) racing with Larry Brazil (I think) in the #34… This is from early 1968… 2) also from early 1968 - Don’l Burkhalter leading Harry Pullen and Robbie Ashton… neat stuff!!!