is the TBARA done?

I used to love watching them when they raced at Columbia. I was looking for their 2015 schedule and saw this on their website;

Here is a recap of our emergency meeting that took place on Saturday, 1-10-15.
The meeting was called to replace departing board members. However, none of the club members in attendance volunteered to take their place, so club activity has been place ?on hold?. If the membership organizes and supports a team who wants to run the club, then TBARA is back in business. Meanwhile, the club assets, including the bank account, are safely locked up and will wait to see what the future brings.
The only official business that took place was that a club financial statement was released, and it included the checking account balance for all members to see. As a reminder, no rules were voted upon, and no changes were made. We are just in a holding pattern to see if the membership wants to continue operating, and if they will work to achieve it.

Katlizy?

Katlizy, here is your chance!

Best of luck to TBARA with or without her…

Who knows, it may be a good thing. Florida tracks know that the racers are out there, and are pretty good at not scheduling the same class at two different venues on the same evening.

“none of the club members in attendance volunteered to take [the place of the departing board members]”

There probably was/is a reason for that…

Is it done? No, not at all.

Financially, 2014 was a good one for the TBARA. We averaged 18 cars, including a high of 31 at De Soto. Also, the paid membership doubled, the point fund went up by 330%, the payout was up, and we have a little money in the bank for 2015. By the numbers, it was a good year.

The product: winged pavement sprint car racing, is the best thing going in Florida. The races are very competitive, the cars are the fastest things around, and they still have a fan following. It is not going away because there is demand for this type of racing entertainment.

The problem was that there was too much discord among the drivers, owners and officials. By definition, racers are self-interested and competitive. It is not easy for people like this to work together toward a common goal, so there was usually little cooperation. Yes, the TBARA has a long and mostly successful history, but in my opinion the days of club racing are nearing their end. What worked pretty well in the past is much more difficult in 2015 because very few can set their self-interest aside and work effectively. Also, since we are a club, we don’t have the ability to react quickly like someone who owns a series or a track. They can issue an order and be done with it. We had to go through contortions, delays, by-laws, etc…

2015 will be a challenging year if new management steps up to take over. The Davey Hamilton “King of the Wings” southeast series is rapidly forming, and expects to be the dominant player in Florida this year. Other tracks are running their own non-wing shows too, so it will be interesting to see how purses and rules hold up without TBARA to keep the other operators honest. Remember, the club is fully intact and has start-up money, so if there is a demand for TBARA, new management can have the keys and take off.

I disagree with your statement about the days of club racing being over. It works and has for a long time. The TBARA members had a leader that alienated and bad mouthed most folks that he came in contact with. The club would still work with a true “people person” like yourself in charge! Someone that can effectively communicate thoughts and ideas. Also there are many members that could lead the club they just don’t realize it. Hopefully somebody will step up before everything disappears. Track owners and promoters come and go, this club has weathered them all before. The other stuff that you mention is business as usual as with any group, not just sprints. Without TBARA or any sanctioning body working for the owners, expect disorganization with sprints for a while. Lots of equipment will be sitting around…

Don’t expect Hamilton to be an answer…you need to be able to race in your own backyard to keep building your fan base and also to recruit new owners and competitors.

A thought for your (& the other members) review:

Put TBARA on the block. Sell it to an individual or company, and then distribute those funds and the funds in the bank to the members.

The new owner then assumes all risks, and as you mention, can make or break the rules with a decision and an email, not a consensus.

As always, the owners & drivers can choose to participate–or not.

The thinking is, it may still be a benefit to operate as “a series” with the potential bargaining power that it will carry as opposed to a 25 lap show at bitlo for $850 to win.

Well… I need a job right now so I could run it (obviously not for free though) until my hair turns gray - well it already has - so, until it falls out… Might be fun or it might give me ulcers, but would be interesting…

Calling Don Nerone…

'nuff said!

This gif says it all.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;154342]Katlizy, here is your chance!

Best of luck to TBARA with or without her…

Who knows, it may be a good thing. Florida tracks know that the racers are out there, and are pretty good at not scheduling the same class at two different venues on the same evening.

“none of the club members in attendance volunteered to take [the place of the departing board members]”

There probably was/is a reason for that…[/QUOTE]

Have no fear…I am here… Popping popcorn and watching karma do her thing.
I made my predictions…I have my opinions.

I, for one, hope it ain’t the end.

ICONATOR_ffc748473e3a16d9a480f5fe8045eeac.gif

I vote for Dave westerman

Thanks for the replies and updates. I too hope they are not done. I haven’t had a chance to see them lately but sure would go if they came to Bronson or Columbia again.
Here’s an idea, how about a combined USCS/TBARA show at South Georgia Motorsports Park- one can always dream can’t he?
I guess I am showing my age when I talk about their shows at Columbia, watching the vapor trails come off the wings on those humid summer nights… :ernaehrung004:

BTW; winged sprint cars at 5 Flags on April 10 to open the season there.

The TBARA were around for a long time, but they often seem to put the worst possible person in charge. And the constant bickering among the members meant half a field of cars or even less would show up for a race. And the cost to the tracks kept going up while the show went downhill.
Right now, the non-wing Sprints seem to be a very viable option, they’re popular and the put on a good show for what i assume is a good price to the tracks.

tbara done

can always make Three Palms home track .

Matt, you have achieved perfection: you are wrong about everything in your post. Congratulations.

The TBARA does not put the worst people in charge. It is a “coalition of the willing”. We have to draw from volunteers who are usually involved with sprint cars in some way. The talent level runs from very highly skilled people to others with much less. Either way, you have no idea of what it takes to pull it together, or the abilities of the directors to make things happen.

A half a field? We averaged 18 last season, look it up.

The cost to the tracks is much lower now than what it was 5 years ago. In 2011 and 2012, the price the tracks were willing to pay dropped through the floor, but has recovered somewhat in the past few seasons.

The show went downhill? Have you ever actually seen one? We handicap the starts (unlike most stock car classes), and our fastest cars usually start around the 10’th, 11’th or 12’th spots. No class passes more than winged sprints.

Non-wings sprints are good. Personally I prefer the wing cars because they are faster and don’t appear to be coasting as much, but they are just two sides of a same coin. By the way, the TBARA cost the tracks much less than the non-wing shows that they put on by themselves. Figure that one out…

Somebody get Matt an ice pack. LOL !

image.jpg

[SIZE=“5”]Hell Dave why don’t you take the East Races and I take the West Coast Races. You helped me make FASTRUCK a plenty good little Series back in the day. What do say???[/SIZE]
:ernaehrung004:

Boneman,

How about simplifying? Am on the outside looking in but it seems like a website could be set up with a schedule (as it develops–much like a local rock band), an in invite for promoters to send an email regarding details of getting a show at their track.

Seems like wings or no wings should be about the same–that is, what the promoter with the money wants is what you show up with–but again, I may be over simplifying.

Other than that, every man for himself and you all go to events as promoted by the tracks.

ps–I really like the quality of the TBARA fields and the inverted starts.

But without board members, it is a very cool chicken with no head, eh?

(and yes, I am probably competing with Matt for best post award…)

[QUOTE=Boneman;154399]Matt, you have achieved perfection: you are wrong about everything in your post. Congratulations.

The TBARA does not put the worst people in charge. It is a “coalition of the willing”. We have to draw from volunteers who are usually involved with sprint cars in some way. The talent level runs from very highly skilled people to others with much less. Either way, you have no idea of what it takes to pull it together, or the abilities of the directors to make things happen.

A half a field? We averaged 18 last season, look it up.

The cost to the tracks is much lower now than what it was 5 years ago. In 2011 and 2012, the price the tracks were willing to pay dropped through the floor, but has recovered somewhat in the past few seasons.

The show went downhill? Have you ever actually seen one? We handicap the starts (unlike most stock car classes), and our fastest cars usually start around the 10’th, 11’th or 12’th spots. No class passes more than winged sprints.

Non-wings sprints are good. Personally I prefer the wing cars because they are faster and don’t appear to be coasting as much, but they are just two sides of a same coin. By the way, the TBARA cost the tracks much less than the non-wing shows that they put on by themselves. Figure that one out…[/QUOTE]

Thanks for re-posting my post Rex.
My post…They often put the worst possible person in charge.
Your post…the talent level runs from very high to others with much less

My post…half a field of cars or less shows up
Your post…half a field? We averaged 18 last season. ( do you really consider an average of 18 cars a full field?) ( how many cars are registered in the TBARA?)

My post… the costs to the tracks kept going up
Your post…in 2011 and 2012 the price the tracks were willing to pay dropped through the floor. ( sounds like the costs just kept going up )

As to the cost of non-wing shows vs. the winged cars…the winged cars are on the verge of going away completely and a number of tracks are bringing in the non-wing cars on a regular basis. I doubt it’s because the non-wing shows cost more to book.

As most people on here know, i love asphalt sprint cars. And i’m all for seeing them thrive. But in my view, the TBARA has been hit or miss over the years and right now the club can’t seem to be able to even find someone who is willing to run it. That doesn’t say much for the viability of the TBARA.