Schedule for Sunoco 100 @ Auburndale

See attached for complete schedule for the next big night at Auburndale Speedway.

Friday, May 8

3:00 Pits open
5:00 Open Practice Rotating
9:00 Track Closes

Saturday, May 9

1:00 Pits Open
1:15 Tech Opens (Must Tech before practice)
2:30 Latemodel Practice Only Begins
3:30 Latemodel Practice Only Ends
3:35 Latemodel Drivers Meeting
3:45 Rotation Practice Begins All classes
5:15 Latemodel Tires Released and Cars to through Qualifying Tech by 6:15
5:45 Practice ends for all classes
6:00 Officials Meeting at the Tech Building
6:15 Local Drivers Meeting
6:30 Sunoco 100 Qualifying
7:00 Racing Begins
Heats

Mini Cups
Scramblers
Mini Stock
Street Stock
Mod Mini
V-8 Bombers

Features

Mini Cups 15Laps
Scramblers 15 Laps
Mini Stock 20 Laps

Intermission (Sunoco 100 Autograph Session)

Sunoco 100 100 Laps
Street Stock 25 Laps
Mod Mini 25 Laps
V-8 Bombers 25 Laps

Auburndale schedule.zip (10.9 KB)

Ricky please call me.

[SIZE=“4”]Ricky Please call me at 813-817-7223.
Thanks Bobby Diehl[/SIZE]

:ernaehrung004::ernaehrung004:

Practice for Sunoco 100

There will be open practice on Thursday May 7, from 5-8 pm, and practice on Friday May 8, from 5-10 pm.

Great weather ahead and more contingency sponsors on board for Saturday night.

Mandatory tire and gas purchase?

Matt, I have a few questions that I hope you can answer. It might help me understand why you ask this question. The way I see it, it really doesn’t matter unless it’s the last race you ever plan on racing.

Is this a deciding factor for you to decide whether or not you bring your super to the race?

Do you get a better deal on tires and fuel elsewhere? And does that include shipping charges or traveling expenses to get it?

How many sets of tires do you normally buy for a 100 lapper weekend for your super and how many gallons of fuel do you normally burn for the weekend? And how much money do you save by not buying tires and fuel at the track?

When you run your super do you feel better that everybody is buying tires out of the same shed on the same day? Or do you like it better seeing other teams next to you pulling tires out of the trailer that are wrapped in Saran Wrap coming off of the rotisserie?

Do you feel good when you know everybody is buying fuel out of the same container? Or do you like it better when you’re sitting on the grid waiting to go out in your super and the guy in front of you exhaust fumes are burning your eyes out and you are not sure if you were getting cancer from the added chemicals in his fuel you are breathing?

If you could tell me the distributor where you get your super tires cheaper then you get them at the race track that would be very helpful. And also if you could tell me where to buy fuel. The last time I bought it it was $11.60 a gallon at Palm Beach international Raceway which is the closest place to my house to get it. And I think it cost about the same money at the Sunoco racing fuel distributor down here in Southeast Florida. Race fuel is cheaper at the race track I think.

If you could tell me where to get the stuff cheaper I’d really love to save a dime.

And probably the most important question of all. Do you have a super late model?

Thanks

White Knight or retard in Tin Foil?

[QUOTE=mr south 59;159187]Matt, I have a few questions that I hope you can answer. It might help me understand why you ask this question. The way I see it, it really doesn’t matter unless it’s the last race you ever plan on racing.

Is this a deciding factor for you to decide whether or not you bring your super to the race?

Do you get a better deal on tires and fuel elsewhere? And does that include shipping charges or traveling expenses to get it?

How many sets of tires do you normally buy for a 100 lapper weekend for your super and how many gallons of fuel do you normally burn for the weekend? And how much money do you save by not buying tires and fuel at the track?

When you run your super do you feel better that everybody is buying tires out of the same shed on the same day? Or do you like it better seeing other teams next to you pulling tires out of the trailer that are wrapped in Saran Wrap coming off of the rotisserie?

Do you feel good when you know everybody is buying fuel out of the same container? Or do you like it better when you’re sitting on the grid waiting to go out in your super and the guy in front of you exhaust fumes are burning your eyes out and you are not sure if you were getting cancer from the added chemicals in his fuel you are breathing?

If you could tell me the distributor where you get your super tires cheaper then you get them at the race track that would be very helpful. And also if you could tell me where to buy fuel. The last time I bought it it was $11.60 a gallon at Palm Beach international Raceway which is the closest place to my house to get it. And I think it cost about the same money at the Sunoco racing fuel distributor down here in Southeast Florida. Race fuel is cheaper at the race track I think.

If you could tell me where to get the stuff cheaper I’d really love to save a dime.

And probably the most important question of all. Do you have a super late model?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

ok, I agree with Matt on this one. It is a determining factor for myself, and here’s why: At tax time I buy 55 gallon drums of fuel…#1 it is a little cheaper vrs. buying it by the gallon, #2 It insures I have fuel for times that I wouldn’t otherwise have extra $ throughout the season. If “fuel additives” are in question, ill gladly submit fuel sample out of the cell that night.

As for tires… I have a guy that I can get non used new tires from under cost. Once again… tax time is when I try to get them. This year was extras from governors cup, and a few sets that had 15 laps on them. When it comes to new sticker tires its very easy to see with a naked eye if they have been treated… any competent tech man would spot it instantly. If they cant, durometers or a sniffer is always welcome on my tires.

lastly these tracks swear the tire/fuel is at the tracks strictly for the racers convenience, and for a lot of racers it is convenient and the preferred way.

Now my question is: if the tracks aren’t making $ off from this why is it mandatory? Its not like they will get stuck with inventory as most of the high dollar teams wouldn’t change a thing.

When a concern of cheating pops up, as I’ve said… I’m open to any test they desire.

Now… is it impossible for a racer to buy tires at the track take them in his trailer and treat them? or swap them for already prepped tires sitting in the trailer?

Is it impossible for them to buy fuel at the track and add in any additives they desire?

if anything it creates a false sense of security that they aren’t cheating.

lastly… I think finding the hidden traction control devices at these bull ring tracks might be a better way to create a level playing field. I don’t care how much power you have, how much “additive” is in the fuel… you cant use what you cant stick to the pavement. The funniest thing I saw at a lil bullring track (wont mention names) is a tach recall after time trials. Its pretty simple… if you can pull over the 8400 allowed rpm’s in a super late model at these tiny tracks… you either have traction control or you should be at OSW in the drifting competition.

With the economy the way it is, the car count dropping it would seem as though nickel and diming racers, and tying there hands wouldn’t be in the best interest of the tracks. that’s my opinion. And these factors do determine how often my car runs.

Well, thanks for RUINING that for me! LOL!

Ricky if you email me that file when you want it posted I will make it so it doesn’t have to be opened

I have a guy…

[QUOTE=scott bertram;159189]ok, I agree with Matt on this one. It is a determining factor for myself, and here’s why: At tax time I buy 55 gallon drums of fuel…#1 it is a little cheaper vrs. buying it by the gallon, #2 It insures I have fuel for times that I wouldn’t otherwise have extra $ throughout the season. If “fuel additives” are in question, ill gladly submit fuel sample out of the cell that night.

As for tires… I have a guy that I can get non used new tires from under cost. Once again… tax time is when I try to get them. This year was extras from governors cup, and a few sets that had 15 laps on them. When it comes to new sticker tires its very easy to see with a naked eye if they have been treated… any competent tech man would spot it instantly. If they cant, durometers or a sniffer is always welcome on my tires.

lastly these tracks swear the tire/fuel is at the tracks strictly for the racers convenience, and for a lot of racers it is convenient and the preferred way.

Now my question is: if the tracks aren’t making $ off from this why is it mandatory? Its not like they will get stuck with inventory as most of the high dollar teams wouldn’t change a thing.

When a concern of cheating pops up, as I’ve said… I’m open to any test they desire.

Now… is it impossible for a racer to buy tires at the track take them in his trailer and treat them? or swap them for already prepped tires sitting in the trailer?

Is it impossible for them to buy fuel at the track and add in any additives they desire?

if anything it creates a false sense of security that they aren’t cheating.

lastly… I think finding the hidden traction control devices at these bull ring tracks might be a better way to create a level playing field. I don’t care how much power you have, how much “additive” is in the fuel… you cant use what you cant stick to the pavement. The funniest thing I saw at a lil bullring track (wont mention names) is a tach recall after time trials. Its pretty simple… if you can pull over the 8400 allowed rpm’s in a super late model at these tiny tracks… you either have traction control or you should be at OSW in the drifting competition.

With the economy the way it is, the car count dropping it would seem as though nickel and diming racers, and tying there hands wouldn’t be in the best interest of the tracks. that’s my opinion. And these factors do determine how often my car runs.[/QUOTE]

Well Scott, I guess I can understand where you’re coming from if you “got a guy”. I don’t roll like that. I got a friend that’s “got a guy” that can get Publix meat at half the sticker price. He buys it all the time. I won’t. Would you Scott???

I have to disagree with you on the fuel. A 55 gallon drum of Standard 110 cost $599.50 plus Shipping or the expense to go get it. 55 gallons at the race track at the last super race at $9.00 a gallon was $495. The highest this year was $10 at a super race. Which is still $50 then what a 55 gallon drum goes for. And we were already there. There is no expense to obtain it at all. And 55 gallons won’t last two whole weekends when you run a super late model. So the math just doesn’t add up unless you “got a guy”. You were losing anywhere from 1 to 2 dollars a gallon plus shipping or transportation. Not to mention having hundreds of gallons of fuel around your shop.

And then what happens when your local track changes fuel vendors and they say you cannot run brand XXX at their track anymore. And you’re sitting on 220 gallons or more of XXX fuel that you can’t even run at your track. I guess that’s the risk you don’t mind taking.

Again, not to mention the cheating on the fuel. It is much easier to compare fuel sample against the track fuel sample to test for its legality. You just take a sample out of the pump. You check for color and you check with the fuel tester and if it doesn’t match the sample it’s illegal. No questions asked. Then you don’t have people bickering about, I bought my fuel from Jim Bob and it’s different in the fuel that he bought from Billy Joe. It’s plain and simple everybody runs the same fuel and everybody’s matches the fuel sample at the racetrack.

And for the tires. More power to you if your getting tires “from a guy” cheaper than cost. I would be a little suspicious of the source of those tires. I would be a little worried about taking those barcodes to certain race tracks. I’m always worried about those guys that come up to me in the parking lot trying to sell me a home entertainment center below cost and I really worry about the guys that tell me they can get brand-new unused race tires for less than what you can buy them for anywhere else in the state. Again something just doesn’t add up with that.

But I will ask you just like I ask Matt. If you could tell me where to get the stuff cheaper I would really like to save a dime. And the stuff can’t be hot!!!

Like I said. Unless this is your last race ever, having to buy a mandatory 10 gallons of fuel and a set of tires is something you are going to need. Maybe not this weekend but sooner or later you will need it. And FYI, if you were buying it cheaper than what you can buy at for at the racetrack something probably isn’t legit. If it is legit, Scott, you should not have a problem revealing his sources for these below cost tires. I’m betting Scott source doesn’t have a website.

I really just want to hear Matt’s answers to my questions. I will wait to hear of Scott’s sources before I decide if his post is legit or BS. I don’t think I’ll hold my breath waiting on the source.

Thanks again

PS. I did the race track owner thing for a little over eight years. I sold tires fuel and parts. I made a profit on every one of them. With my fuel and tire sponsors at the racetrack I could sell fuel and tires under manufacturers suggested retail price to you and most of the time it was cheaper than you could buy them from the fuel and tire distributor. It’s amazing how that works. The track owner can still make money and you can still buy it below manufacturers suggested retail price.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

YOU CAN’T FIX STUPID

:musik010:

[QUOTE=Ricky Brooks;159195]IT IS WHAT IT IS

YOU CAN’T FIX STUPID

:musik010:[/QUOTE]

Speaking of stupid, “it is what it is” . No kidding?

Patrick, you’re certainly not one of the big names in Florida short track racing. But your opinion matters. The money i spend to take my friends and family to the races isn’t going to make or break a track. But the fan’s opinion matters.
Explain how buying track tires and gas benefits the racers over buying the same or better products somewhere else for the same or less money. I realize there isn’t much choice in tire brands any more, but why not let the racer decide.
Explain how being forced to buy 4 tires you probably don’t need, makes more financial sense than just legalizing a $26 dollar can of tire softener.
Explain how buying track gas at track prices is better for the racers than buying from the local speed shop, even if the price is the same. Out of the different gas companies, you have VP, Renegade, Sunoco, and who knows how many others. I’m betting that their prices aren’t the same, so why not let the racer get the best deal on the best product.
The car count at every track has fallen off over the years, and i happen to think it directly relates to spending needless money. That’s not the only reason, but as Scott points out, it sure helps when racers can avoid wasting money. And Scott is every bit the racer you are, so his opinion is every bit as important as yours. As a fan, if the cars are staying home, i’m not getting much of a show for my money.
I await your explanations.

[QUOTE=mr south 59;159194]Well Scott, I guess I can understand where you’re coming from if you “got a guy”. I don’t roll like that. I got a friend that’s “got a guy” that can get Publix meat at half the sticker price. He buys it all the time. I won’t. Would you Scott???

I have to disagree with you on the fuel. A 55 gallon drum of Standard 110 cost $599.50 plus Shipping or the expense to go get it. 55 gallons at the race track at the last super race at $9.00 a gallon was $495. The highest this year was $10 at a super race. Which is still $50 then what a 55 gallon drum goes for. And we were already there. There is no expense to obtain it at all. And 55 gallons won’t last two whole weekends when you run a super late model. So the math just doesn’t add up unless you “got a guy”. You were losing anywhere from 1 to 2 dollars a gallon plus shipping or transportation. Not to mention having hundreds of gallons of fuel around your shop.

And then what happens when your local track changes fuel vendors and they say you cannot run brand XXX at their track anymore. And you’re sitting on 220 gallons or more of XXX fuel that you can’t even run at your track. I guess that’s the risk you don’t mind taking.

Again, not to mention the cheating on the fuel. It is much easier to compare fuel sample against the track fuel sample to test for its legality. You just take a sample out of the pump. You check for color and you check with the fuel tester and if it doesn’t match the sample it’s illegal. No questions asked. Then you don’t have people bickering about, I bought my fuel from Jim Bob and it’s different in the fuel that he bought from Billy Joe. It’s plain and simple everybody runs the same fuel and everybody’s matches the fuel sample at the racetrack.

And for the tires. More power to you if your getting tires “from a guy” cheaper than cost. I would be a little suspicious of the source of those tires. I would be a little worried about taking those barcodes to certain race tracks. I’m always worried about those guys that come up to me in the parking lot trying to sell me a home entertainment center below cost and I really worry about the guys that tell me they can get brand-new unused race tires for less than what you can buy them for anywhere else in the state. Again something just doesn’t add up with that.

But I will ask you just like I ask Matt. If you could tell me where to get the stuff cheaper I would really like to save a dime. And the stuff can’t be hot!!!

Like I said. Unless this is your last race ever, having to buy a mandatory 10 gallons of fuel and a set of tires is something you are going to need. Maybe not this weekend but sooner or later you will need it. And FYI, if you were buying it cheaper than what you can buy at for at the racetrack something probably isn’t legit. If it is legit, Scott, you should not have a problem revealing his sources for these below cost tires. I’m betting Scott source doesn’t have a website.

I really just want to hear Matt’s answers to my questions. I will wait to hear of Scott’s sources before I decide if his post is legit or BS. I don’t think I’ll hold my breath waiting on the source.

Thanks again

PS. I did the race track owner thing for a little over eight years. I sold tires fuel and parts. I made a profit on every one of them. With my fuel and tire sponsors at the racetrack I could sell fuel and tires under manufacturers suggested retail price to you and most of the time it was cheaper than you could buy them from the fuel and tire distributor. It’s amazing how that works. The track owner can still make money and you can still buy it below manufacturers suggested retail price.[/QUOTE]

My source has had ties to the racing community for multiple generations and is well liked and respected by just about everyone. If you don’t live under a rock you would already know who it is. This being said… like the old days I put my time in helping around the shop, bust my ass on many occasions, built up a good relationship and trust with them. The work I do at the shop reduces my out of pocket expenses. This helps me be able to race. I’m not airing out the name on here, its irrelevant. If you are that nosy…ask around. it wont take long.

I find not trusting sticker tires paranoid to say the least. If they durometer out right, haven’t been treated, haven’t been mounted what’s not to trust? No they aren’t stolen.:anim_pound:

it also comes down to me doing most the work at home. I come to a track fueled and ready to run. I try to simplify race day and prepare for it as I’m mostly a 1 man crew, so every little bit helps.

As for the “it is what it is, you cant fix stupid” comment… I have to assume that’s directed at myself. so my response to that is this: you are right, you cant. But I try anyways for the good of the racing community. 99% Of the time its like talking to a dog. They listen, and bark back but not logical or useful come from it. :laugh:

If something isn’t working… “hey lets keep doing it”.

These are just some of the issues I see hurting local shows.

Much like the spec motor deal, and trying to do away with built motors. Whoever came up with this is in it for 1 reason: greed, at the racers expense. IT WILL HURT CAR COUNT, and my guess is that’s an issue right now. The fact is a lot of us guys don’t have the $16-18k to throw out at a motor, the option of a built motor allows us to build it in stages with our local builders as we have the $, or barter services.YA know…kinda like we used to do when car count wasn’t an issue? What good comes out of mandating the spec motor? They are winning races now against built motors… so it isn’t “leveling the playing field”, could it be someone’s lining a pocket?? It pretty much does away with anyone moving up the ladder into this class. It takes $ from our local engine builders, And don’t shit yourself a lot of these toterhome/stacker trailer guys are asshole in debt and it will eventually come to a head ,so this effects everyone.

Another is the crane cams ignition box being pushed, another useless (other than lining pockets) expense that shouldn’t be an issue.

More sanctions, and forcing racers to spend more $ is not the answer to your car count problem, in fact a logical man would say it is probably what caused it.

We all have to spend a ton of $ to race in this class as it is, why add to it?

and to end this rant (for now)directed at all tracks : by pushing these agendas yes its irritating to myself, I didn’t build the car to sit on stands… but in the end you are doing me a favor by saving me $ that I would be otherwise spending racing at your tracks… for this my wife thanks you.

Patrick, i have a cure for your paranoia over fuel cheaters. I just got an e-mail that details gasoline inspections for drag racing. The drag racers are allowed to use a number of different brands, and the companies give the specs to the association. A simple check is done, and if the brand of gas you claim you have, meets the supplied spec, you’re good to go.
So you’re going to have to come up with a better excuse than that.

[QUOTE=mr south 59;159187]Matt, I have a few questions that I hope you can answer. It might help me understand why you ask this question. The way I see it, it really doesn’t matter unless it’s the last race you ever plan on racing.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Yes, it would be a deciding factor. Even if money weren’t the issue. I don’t like getting screwed.
Getting a better deal is fairly easy. Scott told you exactly how he does it.
From the example you posted ( along with the pricing i got today ) i’d say you could save $20 on a mandatory 10 gallon purchase. Far more if you use over 55 gallons in a weekend. And probably $20 per tire or more. Actually, you’d likely save hundreds because you didn’t need tires. If i had 2 or 3 sets of good takeoffs, that’s all i’d need.
I’m not paranoid, so i’ll have to take your word for the dark, intense feeling you have that everybody is out to get you at the tire shed.
You are getting cancer on the grid by breathing the fumes. Racing gas has lead in it. I’m surprised you didn’t know that.

Apparently everyone gets a better deal than you do. I called a couple of speedshops to check on the pricing you posted. A drum of 110 gas would cost you $599.50 plus shipping??? Damn, whoever you buy from at that price sure must hate you. Or…you’re making it up.
Where can you get 110 gas cheaper? Around here, call Steeles for one. Bill Lee Race Cars for another.

Sorry, i forgot to answer " probably the most important question of all". No.

speaking of “cant fix stupid”… I bought sticker tires (2 months old) at $400 vrs the $600+ at the track. got them mounted free too. After figuring out what I paid for fuel it averages out to barely over $8 a gallon. If that’s being stupid… I don’t want to be fixed.

for me it boils down to having the extra $ at certain points of the year and being broke at other times. this way is a more viable option for myself and I’m guessing a few others.

Mandating where you buy a product isn’t called convenience, its called a monopoly.
I’m not trying to buck Hoosier, or Sunoco what I’m saying is if I can get them more affordably elsewhere, or if I already have them, what’s the harm in using them? I use the barter system a lot…is the track willing to barter with me?

that’s ok, stubbornness and arrogance shows with car counts and fans.

and …watch the bottom drop out when (if) the built motors get ran off.

that will push me over to dirt racing instantly.

Matt Albee, who are you talking to when you are talking to Patrick? If you are speaking to me, which I wouldn’t be sure why you are, since I didn’t post on this thread, but I do want to post on this thread. But not yet.

Patrick Thomas 25