Great idea NASCAR

Looking to quite them darn cars for more ability for communication.

Now everyone can hear the drunk guy yelling at the wife.

The girl can ask questions all race long about why they are going in circles

you can hear the IPhone when playing games and tweeting all race long

hell maybe we should all just stay home,I hate the possible rain out, heat of the summer and cold of the winter…long bathroom lines and food to expensive

yeah, I’ll just stay home than give them a dime of my money to the wonderful sport they are destroying

Re: Cup Mufflers (CuppMuffs?, Cupamuffler? Hushcupps?)

Anything is better than 180 degree headers with a passenger side exit.

Here is the bright side:

Step 1) Get the kid to give up the phone to go to the race. They have to leave it at the house.

So, for the 2% that actually give up the phone and go…

Step 2) Now you can 'splain it to them, cause they can hear you.

Hoping they do not kill the noise completely. Heck, the IMSA cars sounded pretty good. The Caddys & Corvettes, that is.

HIJACK alert

Old School, who runs 180 headers anymore?
Last time I heard those was about 1978… Ed Howe out at Elko Speedway.:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and I think they sounded GREAT! LoL :ernaehrung004:

I’m with you Pun, they aint getting none of mine $ no more!

I was a little surprised to read that yesterday, but i probably shouldn’t have been. The current NASCAR seems to be all about fixing things that don’t need fixing. They have lost sight of why spectators go to the track. In the days that NASCAR really was the fastest growing sport in America, it was run by one man. A Bill France ( Senior and later Junior ) made the decisions almost single handed. Now it’s layer after layer of Vice Presidents of this department or that department that make the decisions without a France in sight other than the odd press conference. And many if not most of those VPs have no experience with auto racing. So we get ideas like silent races and huge meeting places in the new grandstands, apparently there for people to avoid watching the race they paid a minimum of $95 for tickets to. And the tracks keep eliminating big sections of seats they can no longer sell. I miss the old NASCAR.
The sound of a racing engine is the main factor that draws the fans to a race. I wonder how many spectators a race for electric cars would draw.

(NASCAR’s) Counterpoint:

>The traditional demographic is aging and by default will be continuing to diminish in size. I grew up with the sound of V8s from infancy and my first car had glasspacks.

>But NASCAR is, and has been, courting the non-racing crowd. You see the kids in the Walmarts. How many have V8s? Or know what they sound like, or care?

If we took a poll of those guys, do we think they would like moderate noise or extreme noise? Do we think NASCAR or big money that influences NASCAR has taken that poll…?

>And then there is the whole “green” thing. Either NASCAR appeases that crowd or is part of that crowd, it is hard to say.

Either way, I am sure the noise is bothering the warbling wombat or maybe could lead to hearing loss causing an insurance (read guvment) strain.

Finally, do not some short track cars have mufflers?

I’d like to chalk it up to a slowly vanishing older demographic, and that obviously plays some part in the smaller crowds and tv audiences. But i don’t think it’s a coincidence that the rapid decline in NASCAR popularity began at almost the exact moment that Brian France took the reins of the company and began to change everything about the sport.
You’re correct about NASCAR courting the younger, non race car savvy spectator. It hasn’t worked very well, and i’m curious about what the next step will be. The tracks are already talking about hosting soccer, football, concerts, etc. So that will keep them afloat. But i’m not sure where the true auto racing fan is going to go in the future to experience all of the things that brought them to the sport in the first place. The long time NASCAR fans are leaving, or have already walked away from the sport because they just don’t understand the constant barrage of seemingly meaningless changes to what was a perfectly good sport. The days of Petty or Pearson winning a race by 6 laps over the competition didn’t run people off, the crowds kept getting larger every year and the tracks had to keep adding seats. There’s a lot more options for entertainment now, but i wonder how the sport would look if a young Bill France Jr. was still in charge.
I know that in NASCAR’s early days, the fans, by and large, didn’t have big booming V-8 in their street cars. They came in droves to the races in old pick up trucks and station wagons. The old photos of NASCAR races don’t show many Corvettes or 32 Ford hot rods in the parking lots or infields. They show family cars mostly. They came to watch full size Detroit sedans run insane speeds inches away from each other.

[QUOTE=Scott Prentice;173896]Old School, who runs 180 headers anymore?
Last time I heard those was about 1978… Ed Howe out at Elko Speedway.:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh and I think they sounded GREAT! LoL :ernaehrung004:

I’m with you Pun, they aint getting none of mine $ no more![/QUOTE]

I debuted my new late model at New Smyrna with 180 headers in 1998! I absolutely fell in love with they way they sounded on Cale Yarborough’s Busch beer sponsored Olds at the 1979 Daytona 500, which was the first NASCAR race I ever attended.

But then, you like Porsches, and 180 degree headers sound like about three of them in a pack…

NASCAR is systematically destroying everything most of us fell in love with about the sport in the first place. The talking heads on ARE-YOU-SIRIUS-NASCAR radio are going berserk defending the possibility of NASCAR making noise reductions. I can only imagine what is next…

You are correct, good Sir!

"But i’m not sure where the true auto racing fan is going to go in the future to experience all of the things that brought them to the sport in the first place. "–Renegade

Why, Citrus County Speedway or similar, of course!

Thread Highjack (Jacko “made” me do it):

New RUF non-Porsche, Porsche.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/07/2017-ruf-ctr-geneva-yellowbird-porsche-911/

(ps–It does 225 mph and I am pretty sure it has mufflers…)

“I can only imagine what is next…”--Jacko

Everybody has their breaking point. For some it was The Chase. No doubt for others it will be the segment thing or the mufflers.

For me, the day they run six cylinders and/or front wheel drive, I will be all done, great young and diverse talent or not.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;173906]"But i’m not sure where the true auto racing fan is going to go in the future to experience all of the things that brought them to the sport in the first place. "–Renegade

Why, Citrus County Speedway or similar, of course![/QUOTE]

Citrus County of course! Very true! But i was drawn to NASCAR by the sights and sounds of Daytona, and i think that’s probably the case for many fans. That’s not something even a top notch track like Citrus County can necessarily duplicate. Not without an expansion to a 2 mile oval.

No Problem, they could head out the back gate onto the airport!

Actually, for big-track-style racing we have NSS.

If NASCAR continues to slip, the venues will eventually be open to other sanctioning bodies.

But which one will bring traditional cup style cars, as opposed to short track or sports cars?

Can ARCA make the disinfranchised Cup fans happy? I doubt it.

There was a time dual point distributors and big block motors were a favored way to make a race car go fast.Carburetor’s and side glass in NASCAR are now only a memory. Everything evolves whether we like it or not.Way back in the late 1980s the ASA experimented with V6 powerplant’s before dropping that program. The big complaints then being the technology and cost were just too much.That was thirty years ago.The technology has came a long way.They will somewhere incorporate the V6 motors once again whenever they downsize the bodies once again. The really good effect of NASCAR continuously changing things while they also keep changing ticket prices(by raising them optimistic them),is I think its bringing people back to the local tracks who can’t continue to afford NASCAR ticket prices and want to see racing that is less influenced by some New York City consulting firms version of what a race should be.As far as the tracks thinking of holding concerts,football games etc to stay afloat,it’s called SURVIVAL and its something local track owners should have thought about long ago.Maybe there would be more of them left.

“They will somewhere incorporate the V6 motors once again whenever they downsize the bodies once again.”–04

No offense, but am thinking that is speculation.

They need cars of a certain size to maintain stability. The cars have essentially been the same size since 1981.

Heck, they are currently racing inflated-balloon Toyotas now. I would suggest that the street market has long since gotten smaller, so NASCAR has, at least thus far, bucked that deal.

Further, I believe that the cars in general, ironically including their sound, are part of the NASCAR “brand”.

I’ve always thought that a well run, well financed ARCA actually could give the current NASCAR a run for their money. They would likely attract a lot of the older fans who used to enjoy the races on all sizes of ovals as well as several dirt track venues. Just have to change the cars from NASCAR Lite over to a more distinct look and rules package. It would take a while for the fans to embrace it, but i think it might catch on. Maybe Bruton/Marcus Smith could buy ARCA and give NASCAR a rivalry.

That could be OS but there was also a time they felt a big heavy stock car didn’t need anything but a good set of tires to keep it glued to even the high banks of Daytona. Then they took the side glass out of them and you got instant airplanes.Hence roof flaps.Of how many different car models in production today do we have v8 power as standard equipment? About 4 if I count right.It will come someday.Hopefully after I’m gone but you never know
The biggest issue there is the enormous cost to the teams who have so much invested in their engines and engine shops.But NASCAR continues to move in ways that make long time race fans scratch their heads so they are probably already thinking of an all hybrid series.

A second series would work it has before. In those days it was called USAC.And they had all the star power they needed to put butts in seats.