A good way to close a racetrack

agreed

in addition, a new flag man will really pack the pits and the grandstands

Southern All-Star late models pays $7500 for 50 laps, why can’t asphalt tracks pay l?

Southern All-Star late models pays $7500 for 50 laps, why can’t asphalt tracks pay like that?

Citrus and 4-17 (Punta Gorda)

They indeed have both made a spectacular turnaround. A new race director and flagman DIDN’T facilitate the turnaround. Regime change did!!! A race directors hands are tied behind his back when the track ownership has the final all important say.When I first moved to Florida John Sappricone owned/ran the place.They had a message board on the track website and people were screaming bloody murder saying he needed to go,the place drew no cars or fans etc.I drove up one night to watch eight late models race.Is four an improvement? I will say this to all owners/promoters here in the state of Florida and beyond. If you CAN’T or WON’T pay the necessary purse structure to get the upper tier divisions to your track in reasonable numbers PULL THEM FROM YOUR SCHEDULE. Living in a fairytale la la land existence benefits NO ONE. It angers the racers who wasted their time pulling their rigs there,the paying customers who come to watch one thing and you give them another and maybe even more importantly makes your track a laughingstock. You can post unicorn races and dancing elephant figure eights but if in reality you have no chance in hell of making them appear why even bother?

Very well said Mr. Zero…(but they don’t listen - never have - never will)… OSF

I’m pretty sure there is very little similarity between local yokel Florida pavement door bangers and a dirt late model series that races all over the country for a living…but that’s just me.
If you want to get lucas oil level payouts start spending lucas oil level money, I’m sure they’d be happy to have another car on the series. I’m pretty sure it would make racing a tar late model around Florida look awful cheap! :natur008::natur008:

I’m pretty sure there is very little similarity between local yokel Florida pavement door bangers and a dirt late model series that races all over the country for a living…but that’s just my thoughts on that.
If you want to get lucas oil level payouts start spending lucas oil level money, I’m sure they’d be happy to have another car on the series. I’m pretty sure it would make racing a tar late model around Florida look awful cheap! :natur008::natur008:

Luke

It isn’t even in the same stratosphere. Maybe you can’t expect a winners share that matches a full time organization but damn it isn’t even anywhere in the same realm.If you would take the current payout and apply that to the street stock class at Desoto or 4-17 they would have 30 car fields in that division. Same for the mod minis.Paying a grand or two to a super late to win will bring a ten or twelve car field.Apply that same money to a street stock,truck or mod mini class they will grow.Applying that same payout to the superlates and open wheel mods leave those classes floundering to draw cars and that part won’t change.

Plus, what does it cost to get into a major dirt consuming event?

04, I am all confused. You mention a cancelled SLM event, and then new management at Desoto.

Net-net, are you supportive of the track at this time…?

Old school

I love Desoto. It’s my favorite venue here in Florida. But until things significantly change I have made my last trip there.It’s a shame because it really is a damn fast place.A big time dirt event is about the same cost wise to attend as the governor’s cup or world series race at New Smyrna. Pricey? Yes. Worth it? Yes.Your point about taking your muscle car out and paying to be the show I understand because my dad had two cars he took both to inside and outside shows.The difference is you can reasonably expect to bring it home without the fenders beat off of it or the trans and clutch in tiny pieces.And the SCCA guys and even the dragstrip guys have always approached it as strictly a hobby unless they were in the most expensive traveling divisions. Things have to change.The easiest way I see is take the big money divisions off the schedule except for a few really big events each season. That way money could be used to build up the support divisions and bring them back to full fields.You said it yourself about a month ago when you visited Citrus County.Showtime can get 18 old Neons to turn out for the Mini stock class there and Citrus gets a quarter the amount. Why?

The fact that race purses haven’t increased much over the years is well known. But the prices to keep the doors open at race tracks has increased a lot. Just the usual expenses like utility bills, concession repairs and upgrades, property taxes, insurance, payroll, etc. have gone up drastically from 20 years ago. And then throw in the costs of repaving, new grandstands, and pit area improvements… it costs a bundle to keep a track open if you’re doing it right. And at least half a bundle even if you aren’t trying to do it right.

Car count is obviously important, but spectator turnout is even more important. And there are some differences in both around Florida. Citrus has had very good crowds for every event they’ve held since the re-birth. But they’ve been lacking in car count in some classes. On the other hand, Showtime pulls in good car counts, but not always a crowd in the stands. The reason for the difference? St.Pete and Tampa area has always been the home for a lot of racers. So Showtime has a easier time of bringing in cars. Citrus is trying to grow their classes from local racers, and they’re doing okay, but it’s a long term project. 4-17 is also getting a decent car count, again because a lot of racers live in that area.
And of course you have track owners doing everything they know how to make sure the other tracks don’t get any cars. I can’t think of anything more shortsighted for the health of short track racing than trying to kill off other tracks. 4-17 is also bringing in cars, again because a lot of racers come from that area.

Big increases in the purse are going to come from advertisers and sponsors. Local and national companies, banks , insurance companies, home improvement stores, fast food, soft drinks, along with the usual speed equipment and race parts companies.

30 bucks is a pretty typical ticket price to big dirt events. I remember an article on dirt-on-dirt a while back where Marc Richards (Rocket Chassis owner) said they budget $4500 per race just to get on the track, before any crashes or blowups or breakage. That’s counting the amortoized cost of the car, engines, tires, travel, etc etc…
If anyone in a Florida pavement late model is burning $4500 a race that’s their own stupid fault. Maybe they’re they guys I hear out at Showtime practicing non-stop for hours on end, using up their stuff and wrecking tires. I can hear Showtime from my shop and there are days where we can hear one car practicing for hours and hours. And off topic, are there safety crews present while they’re out there running?

Here we go again

Tonight Desoto Speedway has another 100 lap Super late model race scheduled. My brother all but begged me to go.Against my better judgment I considered it.I kept checking their Facebook page since Friday hoping to get some word on how many cars attended practice Friday or some official word from the speedway on how many supers showed up today to race.Nothing.No word at all either day.Rex Guy posted on Desotos Facebook page around five thirty they had six supers.Still nothing official posted by Desoto.So at a quarter til seven tonight I called Desoto to ask if the super late race was still on.Yes the lady that answered the phone replied. I asked her " one hundred laps?". A pause followed then click she hung up.So I told my brother to call and ask.Whoever he talked to told him yes superlates were still racing and they had nine and the race would be fifty laps not one hundred as advertised. WTF? Are Denny Meyer and Ann Young secretly brother and sister or married or what? Because they both have a knack for running a track in the ground.I try my hardest to support Florida race tracks both asphalt and dirt but shi* like this makes it damn hard.

Desoto just posted on their Facebook page ten minutes ago eight supers qualified eight legends qualified and thirteen Bombers took time.No mention on mini stocks or how many laps.Once again I will ask WTF?

So here’s what I’ve been told by a friend who texted me from Desoto tonight5/27

Eight superlates.Jesse Dutilly made a stop at his own personal ATM aka Desoto Speedway taking home the victory in the FIFTY lap feature. Ten V8 bombers raced and eight legends with also around eight mini stocks.Desoto ran a second 4 cylinder feature to make up for the super late feature being cut in half.Yes sir less than forty cars racing in total across four divisions.Come on man kids have big wheel races with more than that involved.

Don’t feel to bad,NSS had 4 superlates,6 if you count the 2 field fillers…but that’s better than the 3 prolates they had a few weeks ago…About 35 cars over 4 divisions,14 of them bombers.

A lose–lose situation either way.

Zero I don’t think I know you, but if you want to close a track, Bad mouthing them is a good way to do that! I understand if you are upset but the solution is simple, don’t go! Racing is bad every where in Florida but if we are to survive the true fans have to get behind them, not run a campane to destroy them! My thoughts probably won’t matter to you but you are putting down a sport I have loved for 63 years of my 73! The staff at Desoto has made some mistakes but they are at least trying!If you don’t like them then stay away, don’t tear them down at every oppurtunity! If you want to know who I am my name is at the top of this post!

My bad, Flvideo is at the top. I am Bob Culbertson and I claim these thoughts

Bob,true I don’t really know you

But I think we have met before but maybe not.Some may take my posts as bashing and that’s wrong.If I were truly making an attempt to bash the place I would be on here consistently every single day badmouthing Desoto.I truly believe Desoto is THE premier facility in the state of Florida ( with the possible exception of Five Flags which I’ve yet to visit)but the bs games being played there this year are just that and they need to be called out on them.If it were a department store,electronics store etc advertising one thing and selling you something totally different than that’s called bait and switch and illegal in all 50 states.What they are currently doing is no different. They deserve to be called out for it,NOT given a pat on the back for it.Trying ? Yes with the very minimum amount of thought or effort. I’m sure you love it as do I and what’s currently going on there sickens me to the point of infuriating me.Not going there has already happened but calling there and having someone hang up when you ask a simple question or hiding the facts or straight up lying to people shouldn’t fly.BE HONEST WITH PEOPLE. If you are then I am willing to overlook things.Hiding the truth isn’t being honest.I will post my name if anyone thinks I’m trying to hide something but I’m not originally from Florida and very few people know me here.But most Saturdays I’m in the stands somewhere but not if I’m going to get half truths.Eric Bartrum

Believe me when I say they would rather not be in thatsituation but they are betwee a rock and a hard spot!They Schedule a race and cars either come or they don’t! No track has any control over that! I don’t think there has been a bait and switch at all. The week 4 cars showed up the driver elected to cancell it. This passed week the drivers elected to run 50 laps because of the car count and I understand they all agreed to a lower pay! I and the staff Of Desoto, which by the way I am not part of, has made some mistakes, of which they will admit! The owner has tried to listen to his drivers and he thought he did what they wanted but as it turned out he listened to the wrong ones! I have been at that track since it opened and I have worked my business there since 1983. I have been there thuogh everyone that has promoted it! I have also worked tracks all over the south eastern US and I have seen some fail and some succeed but the one that failed were all ways shot down bya few people that spread it like wild fire! My momma alway tought me if I had nothing good to say keep your trap shut, I must admit I haven’t always done that but thats Ideal! Do me a favor man, be part of the solution not the problem! Help us turn it around and we will all have a good safe track to call home! Thanks for listening!