Racefans, do yourself a favor

Read Gary Balough’s book, A Checkered Past. I bought it from Gary at NSS last week, and couldn’t put it down.

This is about a guy I never met, and didn’t understand at all. Aside from hearing about lots of names and places that I knew, and even events where I attended, the main take-away for me was his radically different approach to racing than I ever took. He aimed for the top, and had a plan to get there.

I am really going to encourage my son to read this, and learn about a completely different take on racing organization than he could ever get from me. Gary was a tireless innovator, a dedicated mechanic, a skilled fabricator, and most importantly he built a support network of experts to keep him on the cutting edge.

Yes, he also discussed his mis-steps along the way, and the terrible consequences that he paid as a result.

Dive in! You’ll love it!

Thanks for the tip, Rex. I just ordered the book. I want to comment now, but I am going to wait until I read the book.

That’s great that he lives better now, I guess…for him…I hope God forgives him.
I can’t forget he was a terrible black eye for racing those days, part of the Florida drug money racers group…I guess as a parts supplier or car owner you just turn your head. The money was BIG!
Who cares about if he could drive. He raced with illegal funding as did some others.
I find it hard to believe they still have Memorial races for some of those creeps today!
No book for me to put a dime in his pocket.

[QUOTE=Groundpounder;177147]That’s great that he lives better now, I guess…for him…I hope God forgives him.
I can’t forget he was a terrible black eye for racing those days, part of the Florida drug money racers group…I guess as a parts supplier or car owner you just turn your head. The money was BIG!
Who cares about if he could drive. He raced with illegal funding as did some others.
I find it hard to believe they still have Memorial races for some of those creeps today!
No book for me to put a dime in his pocket.[/QUOTE]

GP, I get your position. I am just the curious type, and like to read old racing history, good or bad. As I said, I have some comments as well, but will wait till I read the book.

God forgives all that turn to Him, including Gary, although I do not know if he has been saved.

Meanwhile, I have a full time gig keeping me on the straight & narrow.

“Let us not quibble about the splinter in the other guy’s eye until we remove the plank from our own”–The Bible [paraphrased]

And the “black eye”? Please, we have an ongoing list:

>NASCAR’s weekly “pick the winner” calls (& that would be an Earnhardt or an Elliot, not Coo Coo Marlin).

>Recidivist “Cheaters”–Smokey Yunick, Jr Johnson, Ray Evernham, Rick and Joe…

>Sponsorship “Issues”–JD Stacy, whoever the resort guy was a few years back, BK Racing.

>Kurt Busch–just for being, y’know…Kurt.

But I will tell you that Gary was a helluva driver, and fearless. That is, I care.

There are plenty of folks that I have bigger issues with–like rolling us–all of us-- over a barrel with deficit spending for years, while theoretically “serving” the peoples.

I hope he makes a bundle off his book, and buys a nice place with the coin.

Personally I can not wait to read the book. As for racing with illegal funds and a black eye… does everyone forget how Stock Car Racing even got its start?

Not too mention there is still plenty of cash money being “funneled” through race teams and even more through race tracks (many that you support regularly if not weekly) to this day. Cash businesses definitely have their advantages.

I should have prefaced the above with stating that I in no way agree with or condone the stuff that he did. But I do believe that everyone deserves a second chance. He certainly did his time. And I believe by and large what he brought to the sport and the legacy that still lives on is deserving of a read.

I never saw Gary Balough race here in Florida or anywhere down south for that matter but did see him wheel Bob May’s Chevelle up in central Ohio one summer for most of one season.His reputation or notoriety had preceded him and I don’t think he was very warmly received and never won up there during that period.But past is past and I don’t remember him killing the pope so at some point I would be interested in giving it a read.But for now I am working on reading a copy of Darrell Waltrips autobiography I picked up a few months back so it will have to wait a while.

So your values are if somebody today is still acting criminally, it’s ok? Because it’s racing? Something you are fond of… Hmmm… The advantage of a cash business is to cheat our/your government out of taxes that most folks pay? At least I do! He cheated the USA out of millions, most likely, by his selling grass and cocaine, as did his “team” of criminals who most likely were paid in cash (cash business again!). How many lives were ruined along the way of his being criminally greedy?
He did some time, less than 4 years of a 15 year sentence. Over crowding I guess. Did he pay restitution to my/your government? The cost of investigation and trial? Is he truly sorry or just sorry he got caught…only he knows.
Yes, he sure assembled a wonderful team to import drugs. Yes, he is a charismatic guy that probably threw a lot of $$ around in his day so he created a flock of followers. We are a nation of laws, some more serious than others and his driving a race car has nothing to do with his value to society.

Let us not forget that “the laws” are man made and change. It used to be that we had freedom of speech. Now you had better make sure who you are talking to and what you are saying or you could be charged with a “hate crime”. And The Mary Jane is recreation legal in 10 states, and recently the federal gubment has indicated that they are “softening” in their view of the stuff.

So, are the people “in the business” today more moral than those back in the day?

“He cheated the USA out of millions, most likely, by his selling grass and cocaine, as did his ‘team’ of criminals who most likely were paid in cash.”–GP

If he hadn’t been in that business, there would have been no money made.

"The advantage of a cash business is to cheat our/your government out of taxes that most folks pay? At least I do! "–GP

Er… It appears your argument is that while Gary has paid his debt to society…you have not.

Laws change, but that doesn’t make what he did it legal, even today. To simplify for you, TAX EVASION by himself and his “team”. Mucho Grande money earned selling an illegal product was untaxed, while honest folks pay. Yes, I do pay my taxes…and don’t forget the harm that cocaine and drugs have contributed to our society. I don’t mean the local kid that cuts a lawn for cash is a criminal because he doesn’t report income, but the scale of this is millions beyond that.
He got away dirt cheap for what it cost the taxpayers of the US to catch him, put him on trial, defend him and house him for almost 4 years.

Again, not one dime from me for his latest attempt to get some cash…

I know you are a Bible quoter but the Good Book also says to pay your taxes! :slight_smile:

It does indeed. However, the Bible is up for interpretation, and mine is that works out to “Do not intentionally fight the government, for our/your struggle is on a higher plane than the laws of man.”

The bottom line on that deal: The go/no go is a commitment to Christ and his teachings. Not to be perfect, but to have your heart in the game every day.

Compared to that smoking-or-non-smoking deal, running dope is small time.

I sincerely hope both you and Gary are on the winning team.

I see you completely missed my point however if tax evasion is what?s at the root of your ?not spending another dime? argument then I?m curious if you check the books for every racetrack you visit before buying a ticket and/or do the same before ever buying a drivers t-shirt from their trailer. It is primarily a cash business for a reason.

In NO WAY am I saying they are all bad but the point is it is happening every day and the majority of them will never ?serve 4 years? and you will gladly hand your hard earned money over to them.

Maybe my view on Gary would be different if he never owned up to what he did. Sometimes I think that is a bidder judge of someone?s character and who they really are.

Not to mention in my 43 years here on earth I?ve learned to stand clear of those who protest and preach the loudest as often they are the ones with the most to hide.

But I will go back to my original point… Do people honestly forget how this sport even got started???

Mark, imo, your point is well taken.

He spent a lot more than 4 years in all. I’m not buying it either, don’t need to I was there and I saw what they did, and I knew the crew that followed in their footsteps as well…they’re out now too. It wasn’t weed or shine, it was cocaine, way way worse than either pot or booze and they were in bed with true gangsters and thugs, organized crime and south american cartels, real bad guys not Jr Johnson good ol boy types makin’ something to wet your whistle or catch a nice light buzz on. Forget the money and the IRS, they destroyed lives and people died. I spoke with him once for just a minute while he was incarcerated and he does seem truly sorry and yes he has paid his debt to society and I let any animosity I may have had for those guys and what they did to peoples lives, and to racing, go awhile back. However I’ll never put him up on a pedestal like most of the rest of you in the racing community laughing off what they did as okay just because they wanted to race.
He had a “plan” alright as he sat in jail most of his adult life, while we fed him and took care of him, he had nothing but time to make up said “plan” so he could put it in a book. I have no animosity at all for him but my kids already have a hero and that’s their grandfather, not some two time convicted felon who took the easy way out when he already had an easy way out called driving race cars for other people.

Look, there are two issues being conflated here.

He was a hell of a driver, and in his prime I would put him up against any of the current “bad boys”.

He also beat Big Mean E in a Sportsman race, I believe.

That is not to say he is a “hero”–just a good driver. Nor does a conviction (or two) change his driving skills. They stand alone.

And as far as I know, they got him for “conspiracy”–that means no sale to a narcotics agent, and no possession. In short, that is what they charge–and convict–people with that they think are into bad things–but cannot prove it.

But hey, haters gonna hate.

ps–General service announcement: If your spouse starts questioning your every move, you better keep an eye on things…

I’m not trying to be hateful in anyway at all towards him, or anyone, I hope I’m not taken that way.

re: “haters gonna hate”

Just a hokey-a saying, did not really mean it literally.

You are correct, hate is a “bad” thing.

It’s all good, sir.

These days it’s automatic, if you disagree with someone’s opinion they call you a hater…

Conspiracy is a little more than that.

To put the “poor defrauded state/ & taxpayers” issue into perspective:

Today heard on the radio that the State of Florida is paying $100M annually to house (in jail, ironically) illegal aliens convicted of a crime. With taxpayer money, of course.

Here is the kicker–It is misguided federal and state law that has enabled them to be here in the first place.

So who is protecting the public, and…you know… Gary Balough… from the state?